Priceline Hotel: 3* Myrtle Beach - Ocean Dunes $28

Phaelon56
By Phaelon56,
in

Bidding for room to give as gift to my GF's adult son and his girlfriend. They are graduating college students who wanted a few days away during spring break but did not want a college type party destination (Myrtle Beach is an easy four hour drive for them. Ther was very little historical info for 4* properties in MB at this time of year but they seem to go pricey in summer. Travelocity, Sidestep etc showed about $120 and up for 4*. Hotwire ranged from $49 for 2* to $99 and $156 for 3 1/2* and 3* respectively (yes the higher star rating was cheaper!). Lots of vacancies in the area for this time period and they'll be happy with whatever room they get so I decided to lowball the bids.

Bidding History:

Bid 1 - $40 for 4* - rejected

Free rebids - used all four rebids up to $65 - rejected

Start again with 3* at $28 - won bid!

Have done a bit of research on this property and it gets mixed reviews. Looks more like a 2 1/2* property and Orbitz rates it as a 2*. Regardless, their direct price is $81 per night and couldn't find it any cheaper than $50 - $60 on other websites.

Ocean Dunes Resort And Villas

201 75th Avenue North

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina 29572

843-449-7441

Your Offer Price: $28.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 3

Subtotal: $84.00

Processing Fee ($5.95 per room): $5.95

Local Taxes and Fees: $10.92

Total Charges: $100.87

A bit about this bid. Doing a followup on the rates and noticed that Orbitz rates it as a 2* property - might be an interesting comparison to see how they rate other properties for which there are resent user reviews that are reliable. All the user reviews I could find for Ocean Dunes are "anonymous".

Called their reservations department to ensure that the PL reservation had reached them (I ALWAYS do this as a precaution) and asked about the possibility of upgrades and also whether there was perhaps a newer and an older section. They offered an upgrade to ocean front rather than ocean view for an extra $10 per night. They insisted that all rooms were "renovated and upgraded" every year and that in any given room class all the rooms are of identical quality (excepting the new tower that was built last year, which is all suites and doesn't get awarded to PL bids). I'll just suggest that the arriving travelers ask where the room is when they arrive and then politely ask for an upper floor non-smoking if they weren't already given one.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]