Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency

blindman
By blindman,
in

I've been trying to get this for a 6 night stay beginning on 15th until 20th Nov. for about a month now.

Tried various options by splitting up the dates into one\two and three night stays.

Maximum bid has been $45, any higher and I could end up at the Doubletree

Finally got lucky with this ONE night, but no luck with bids immediately after that.

I'll now wait 72 hours and try a couple of two night splits and if successfull, will try the 'add a night' feature.

Unless anyone else has any bright ideas...

Ho hum

At least you got the first nite of your stay, which makes combinations on future bids much easier!

I live about 2-3 miles from this hotel and my wife and are just waiting for a free nite when we can stay here 'just for the fun' of it.

What is the lowest you've heard of the DoubleTree coming up? I seem to recall it often took bids of $65+.

What is your intended plan if not successful getting the remaining nites?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Lowest for the Double tree seems to be $65.00 despite the fact that their hotel rates are usually lower than the Hyatt by about $30.

What is your intended plan if not successful getting the remaining nites?

What plan! :)

Seriously I've been looking at the Doubltree and Candlewood suites, location\reviews\prices and they seem OK.

My aim is to stay in the area, I just don't want to move hotel as this wastes time.

You mentioned in an earlier post you could give some recommendations for local eateries. Could you list a few? Nothing fancy.

I'll post back if\when I get any more results

Although the Hyatt is a much nicer hotel than the DoubleTree (due to it only being a year old), there is not much around the Hyatt and the DoubleTree actually has a better location (as does the Courtyard by Marriott). However, this doesn't change the fact that my wife and I are looking for a spare nite to try out the Hyatt! :)

Both the Courtyard and the DoubleTree are a short walk to the PATH train and light rail system, as well as a big mall, supermarket, and restaurants. The restaurant recommendations i know of are in nearby Hoboken and would require you to take the PATH or Lightrail system (less than 5 minutes away). My favorite italian restaurant in the area is Margheritas (8th and Washington) and it gets crowded so expect a wait unless you go at an off-hour. If your traveling by yourself i'd eat at La Isla (1st and Washington). The counter is designed for individual eating (they have about 7 tables in the whole place... the rest eat at the counter). This place looks like a dump from the outside but the quality of food that comes out of here is outstanding! Both are very casual and reasonable. There is also a great mexican platter that gets served family-style at another place in town but it's at the north end of town and a little more difficult to get to if you're not driving (and it needs to be ordered for multple diners... if your a Mexican fan it's worth the hassle to get there, but let me know and i'll give you more specific instructions on getting there if you tell me if you have a car or not)

If you're looking for a place to drink there are PLENTY of bars. Two places i like are: Mile Square (2nd and Washingon) has a great happy hour from 3:30-7:00 (7 days a week) offering $2 off all drafts (and they have 40 beers on tap!)... Bass, Guiness, etc. for about $3 can't be beat! If you like Margarita's trying a frozen one at East LA is a must do ($6.50/each! but $3 during Happy Hour from 5pm-7pm Mon-Fri) BUT DON"T EAT HERE!!!. If you're looking for specific type of food let me know and i'll tell you what's around.

Is the purpose of staying in the area an inexpensive and convenient alternative to staying in NYC or do you actually have something to do in NJ?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm travelling with my wife and it's the end of a three week holiday in the US

Staying in NJ is as you say an inexpensive and convenient alternative to staying in NYC. Spending 6 nights in NYC would break the bank (and my heart!). I'm looking forward to the view of Manhattan from the Hyatt.

I still have my last night's stay (20th Nov) at the Marriott Marquis on Broadway and am pondering whether it's worth the risk to try for the 19th. We are staying here so we can go to a show and it's more convenient to get to JFK the following day.

I reckon the Chemical show has filled the hotel. There may be PL rates around the 17th Nov if\when guests cancel.

My main aim was to stay in one location for our 6 night stay, but that is not how things are panning out. Now I want to stay in NJ from Saturday 'till Thursday morning without changing hotels. Looks like that may not work either. :)

As the Hyatt is so cheap I may consider not staying the Saturday if I can get a 5 night stay at either the DT or Cw

Change your name by deed poll B4 Saturday the 15th and the room could be yours -gratis! :)

I'm not panicking yet as I'm quite prepared to bid right up to the wire. I'm sure we'll get a room somewhere at a PL rate.

The Italian sounds like a good bet, we like most cuisines Thai, American steaks, but not a big fan of Mexican.

The Bars sound like a must do, especailly at Happy hour!

We also have a decent thai place called Sri Thai (3rd and Bloomfield) and if you like Indian food a GREAT new place about a year old called Saffron (4th and Garden). Both are casual and informal and will cost you about half of what an equivalent meal in NYC would cost :) Saffron has a nice atmosphere while Sri Thai has no atmosphere but good <and cheap> food.

As you get closer to your dates bump this thread (if it has fallen to the bottom) and i'll give you more specifics as to everything mentioned.

EDIT: as Saffron is under new ownership (after only being open a year and experiencing tremendous growth and a loyal following) i can no longer recommend this place. Food quality has gone downhill slightly, but the service is now absolutely terrible and the overall experience sub-par.

• 3 weeks later...

Margherita's (closed Monday), Oddfellow's (has a Jersey City location but never been, been to the one in Hoboken as recently as last week and it was as good as usual), a little pricier: Three A's or O'Nieals, La Isla (closed after brunch on Sundays, so not tonite), Leo's Grandevous for a 'touch of old-style Hoboken'. Take-out sandwiches are always a treat at Vito's, Fiore's, or Lisa's Deli... any sandwich with fresh mozzarella is recommended (but stay away from cooked sandwiches like chicken parm/marsala/etc).

If you want, PM me your room number (and the phone number of the hotel if available so i don't have to look it up) and i'll call you on the phone to talk about what you want and give you some more options.

Have just got back to UK from my trip.

Many thanks Thereuare for the info re bars\restaurants etc. we tried them all and they were brill!

Managed to get through all the beers in Miles Square (not in one night though :) )

We stayed at the Candlewood Suites after our Hyatt stay as I couldn't get a PL rate. I'll post a review later of both places, Hyatt is amazing and Cw is a good place. Got $35 & $40 per night respectively.

Hyatt is fantastic and Cw is very good value and easy access to NY (and Hoboken) plus 'just like home' with kitchen + laundry.

Found a good\cheap place to eat in Washington and NYC, I'll post if I can find a thread.

Suggest you advise ALL people to use Jersey city as a stay for NY as it's LOTS cheaper and easy to get to NY.

Plus, your recommendations for drinks\eats are spot on!

Glad you enjoyed the restaurants and bars. I'm somewhat of a 'foodie' and although we have a LOT of restaurants in town, i wouldn't recommend the majority of them!

ALL the beers at Mile Square :) ... that's an accomplishment in itself!

I'm glad you made it to Hoboken and had a good time as it's really a great town to eat/drink and walk around from place-to-place.

Did you also make it up to the cliff at Steven's College to take in the view? I know the weather wasn't that good on the day we spoke, but it seems like you made it back to Hoboken a couple of times during your stay so hopefully you made it there on a clear day.

OK,so I'd had a few of the 'European' beers B4 I'd arrived (years B4....)but still managed to get throught the US ones. Did not like the Magic #9!!

Weather was a bit cr*p so didn't make the Stephens College view.

Ironically we moved to NY on the Thursday 20th and the weather picked up so I caught the PATH back to the Hyatt and sneaked up onto the roof and took photos of the sunset.Brilliant!

Thanks for your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]