Priceline Hotel: Pl Strategy for Mill Pk Area

versley
By versley,
in

I am looking for a 4* in the Mill Pk. area of Chicago for December. I thought I would start early and see if I have any luck.

So far the prices I have from hotel web sites are as follows:

Hilton $139

Palmer house $159

W City Ctr $199

Hyatt $129

As you see rates are pretty cheap. We are going to a Bears game and sightseeing. My dates are 12/16 - 12/20. Flying out the 21st and plan on a hotel near the airport for the 20th. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have gotten what I think is the Knickerbocker coming up on Hotwire for $82 so I think for right now that would be as high as I would go at this point. I have been tempted to take the offer but have read so many mixed reviews for that hotel I am holding off. I am planning on using the Hilton as a backup. Thanks for any help and ideas!

You have two re-bid zones available at the 4* level (and i'm assuming you don't want to bid the NMA zone?). If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $42, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $45, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Loop and re-bid zone2...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $55, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

The above may be lowballing quite a bit, but this far ahead of your stay and with rates relatively low i would try the above first on your first round of bidding. If not successful, we'll suggest a new strategy for the next round.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Followed your strategy and bid up to $55 with no luck. I have the 4 Points Sheraton as a backup for $110 through their hotel site. I have not seen this hotel on PL??

I guess I am just too early because there are plenty of rooms out there at very good prices.

The reason I am not bidding North Michigan Ave is because I am one of those nasty people who smoke and both Westins in that zone are totally non-smoking hotels and I would probably end up with one of those. I at least want the option to be able to request a smoking room. I respect non smokers and found myself in a non smoking room on a business trip during a hurricane and went outside when the urge got too strong, rain, wind and all. So I always try to get a smoking room. (By the way at that hotel and others where I have had a non smoking room because of no availability, the management told me to go ahead and smoke, I see where non smokers get smokey smelling non-smoking rooms!) Hopefully I will quit before this trip but for now....

Anyway, I will keep an eye on the rates and try again later unless you have another idea.

Thanks for trying thru the SB links :)

If you want a more realistic/higher probability strategy...

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Loop and re-bid zone2...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $70.

It's up to you how high you want to bid at this point in time... rates could come down somewhat since this is December... but if you're plans are firm there is also some peace of mind that comes with knowing you're all set and where you'll be staying; and $60 or so isn't bad for Chicago.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 6 months later...

I know this is pretty old but wanted to close it out. I have just finalized our hotel.

Many specials have come out for this time period at great rates so I booked conventionally. Tried bidding every so often but was rejected everytime. Only bid up to $65. Ended up with the Hilton Garden Inn on a TravelZoo special of $89 for Saturday night and a buy 2nights ($119 each, $238 for all 3 nights)get 1 free from the holtels website for the other 3 nights. Hard to beat these rates for a good hotel and good location. Also have seen the Hyatt and Swissotel for $99, so gave up on PL and Hotwire.

Thanks for your help!

PS, Thereuare Do you also post on the TripAdvisor Chiago Forum site? A person over there has good knowledge of Hotwire hotels in Chicago and I thought it might be you!

Thank you for coming back to finalize the thread. The HGI deal on Travelzoo is quite a good deal - great location, as well. If you're looking for cheaper snacks, head to the Jewel that's essentially a block North and on the other side of the street. The HGI rooms should have refrigerators, so you could head to the Jewel Grocery and bring back food if you wanted. Additionally, there's a Red Line subway station out in front of the hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]