same hotel different prices p/night for 1room vs 2

katwkittens
By katwkittens,
in

We have a large family so we always need 2 hotel rooms when traveling. After using hotwire several times for hotels and airfare, we noticed something regarding hotel room prices. First time we discovered the price discrepancy was by accident. When using the search parimeters, we put in one room when we needed two. I was just looking for prices and comparing against Expedia and other sites. When we went to purchase the two rooms we needed, different prices other than what I had just looked at came up. And after reviewing other destinations with other dates as a compare to reference, it panned out the same. Cheaper rooms and more availability come up when searching for one room versus two rooms.

The same hotels with same amenities on one screen are a different price, with some there was a large price difference 42 per night vs. 109 night, some small 33 vs. 36 and others no difference at all. I have not yet discovered a price discrepancy that is in favor of the two room purchase instead of one. The ONLY time it is better, so far, is when the price is the same or $1 or $2 per night more for 2 rooms and the room tax is more when purchasing two (1) room stays. When combing the two sets of hotel tax you wind up paying more for the two (1 room) stays. All the other times the price difference was large.

So I guess I have learned and will run different searchs on Hotwire. We have two accounts with hotwire so we can buy the rooms seperately now. Hope this helps.

kat

I've run into this too, but it was in my favor, ie the rate for two rooms was lower than for one. Any way you look at it, it's weird.

Careful about getting two rooms separately. Although you might think you're picking the same hotel (same rating, same amenities), there always the slight chance that you'll end up in another hotel in the same area that appears on the Hotwire screen with identical characteristics. Also, once you book the first room, the hotel may no longer have availability for the second booking! It has happened to me that I selected a hotel, proceeded to book, entered my CC info, and then on the next page got an apology that the offer was no longer available.

• 3 months later...

I've been noticing this also and I really hate it. Looking at some mid-July dates in Vancouver, I came up with a 5* star hotel that was $142 for 1 room, jumped to $206 for 2 rooms and then dropped slightly to $202 for 4 rooms. Amenities appeared to be the same....

Then a 4* boutique hotel which did NOT appear for 1 room DID show up for 2 or more rooms!

And finally, a wonderfully consistent 3.5* just stayed at $75 the whole time!

I guess the moral of the story is that you really have to check it out if you are booking multiple rooms on Hotwire, and just because a hotel does not appear when requesting one room does not mean it might not appear when searching for two rooms....

I've been noticing this also and I really hate it. Looking at some mid-July dates in Vancouver, I came up with a 5* star hotel that was $142 for 1 room, jumped to $206 for 2 rooms and then dropped slightly to $202 for 4 rooms. Amenities appeared to be the same....

Then a 4* boutique hotel which did NOT appear for 1 room DID show up for 2 or more rooms!

And finally, a wonderfully consistent 3.5* just stayed at $75 the whole time!

I guess the moral of the story is that you really have to check it out if you are booking multiple rooms on Hotwire, and just because a hotel does not appear when requesting one room does not mean it might not appear when searching for two rooms....

Scorp, did you figure out which hotel the 5* is - is it the Pan Pacific do you think?

I've often wondered why Vancouver does not offer Boutique bidding on Priceline - but maybe none of the qualifying hotels participate.

Scorp, did you figure out which hotel the 5* is - is it the Pan Pacific do you think?

I see that the Pan Pacific does come up as a 5* on the vacation package, but the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver is also now showing as a 5* in the same package area. The difference is that the Pan Pacific has Hi-Speed Internet.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the Boutique hotel classification at all!

thereuare, can you update the Hotwire hotel list for the vacation package to show that the previous 4.5* Sutton Place is now a 5*? Thanks!

I'm a little surprised that Sutton Place is 5*. I went to visit someone who had a suite there (she was on a corporate visit from Toronto) a few years ago, and I did not see anything particularly spectacular in her room or in the lobby. Maybe it's an issue of services available. I suppose it's possible I was just stunningly non-observant (that's been known to happen!).

thereuare, can you update the Hotwire hotel list for the vacation package to show that the previous 4.5* Sutton Place is now a 5*? Thanks!

Done!

Thanks for letting me know.

If anyone else on the board ever sees a change in rating, inconsistent amenties listed, or any other discrepancy, please let me know by posting/PMing/Emailing me.

THANKS!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]