CA Palm Springs La Quinta Resort Rancho Mirage

ypratt
By ypratt,
in

We stayed here 4/7-9/06. No mention of Priceline, in fact we were treated very well by the staff. We weren't charged a resort fee, even though their web site said it was $20/day. We were in a casita with a king bed, a chair/ottoman, table and 2 chairs and a fireplace. There was plenty of room. The refreshment area had a coffeemaker, two shelves, and a minibar with some room for our own refreshements and an icemaker. The bathroom had two sinks, plenty of counter space, a tub and large separate shower with a bench. The toilet was in a separate room. We ate once at the Mexican restaurant, but then went to a store for our own food and drinks. The food wasn't too bad as far as price, but the drinks were pretty high. At night they have live entertainment in the outside bar area-very nice-but not very attentive service. There is a resident star gazer with his telescope set up on weekends. Each buillding where we were had four rooms on the bottom and two rooms upstairs that opened up to our own pool and spa that we shared with 3 other buildings. There were two tables and chairs by the pool and enough lounge chairs. We also each had a lounge chair and chair/small table on our patio. The view is great with mountains all around. It's a beautifully landscaped resort. There are plenty of stores around to get food and drinks. We were so relaxed, we didn't want to go anywhere, so that's what we opted for on alot of our meals. Trader Joes is just a short drive away. We had one problem-our air conditioner wasn't working. We called the front desk about 9:30 pm, and someone was there to fix it in about two minutes! We will go back. It was great!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I booked this hotels for 2 separate weekends in Feb (one for my own weekend getaway and another one is a family reunion, 3 rooms). I got a mixed feeling about this hotels since I got to see couple different types of the room. It was a very nice weekend when we were there and I did have an enjoyable time here.

The first weekend I stayed at the room 3xxish, then during the following long weekend we got 2 (non-adjacent room) in 216 & 218 ,and one room in 1000s. However, here are my opinions.

PROS:

1. The Entrance area is as beautiful as it seems from the website. I can walk there and smell the fragrance of the flowers in the air. At the night it is very pretty too, I can see the hotel spent lots money to make the entrance area beautiful.

2. The check-in was very smooth. I had this trainee girl helped me with the check-in. I called ahead to request for a double beds so it was granted (no need to share beds with my friends/family) and they are very polite except those ones who worked there for YEARS (you can just tell how different their face expressions are, avoid them if you can).

3. The rooms that I had (3xx) was next to the ranker pool, had wireless internet, the pool is one of the largest in the area as I was told by the frontdesk, lots towels in the room and the carpets just got replaced by their new "hilton signature" carpets (so no complains for the stains)

4. The beds are also one of the "hilton signature" beds, very, very comfortable (I prefer to stay at hilton over marriott/hyatt property for this reason their bed just makes me want to sleep for that extra hour).

5. Beautiful lawns, lots fruit trees around the hotels and kids can pick the fruits off the tree (There are Grapefruits, Lemons, and tangerines - they are ALL tasty, you must try their tangerines! so good!) I would suggest for those of you who likes to get those free fruits, bring your own bag and latter to the hotel since some of the fruits are higher up on the tree - even hard for a person like me to reach (I am 6'2").

6. Parking is all over the resort areas. Hotel itself is big, but still walk-able to all different areas.

7. Separated Deep soaking tub and shower with 2 sinks, walkin closet (in my room).

8. They are working on the whole hotel renovation so the carpets are being changed and the TV are upgraded to 32" Phillips LCD (its there in one of our room - 226).

9. Clean air, beautiful views esp in the day time (you don't get much of the clean air if you live in LA like me).

10. Most pools are heated, the jacuzzi are pleasant esp during a cold night. Even tho they said it opens til 11pm but as long as you can keep your voice down, you can basically stay there as long as you want. Few pools provided towels, most aren't.

11. Nice golf course and tennis court - attend their tennis clinic to play for free!

CONS:

1. Doorman was not polite enough, during twice of my stay, no welcome , they were just chatting with each other and ignored the customers coming into the hotel.

2. The problems with the curtain - its made of wood, and they are ancient, so you have to manually tilt each one of them to close them at night.

3. One of the light switch (in room 228) was not working, and we informed the technician to stop by to fix the problem but they did not stop by to fix during our entire stay.

4. The toilet was NOT flushed when we walk into the room!! WOAH what a huge mistake for the housekeeping crew! However, we did not complain since most of the coworkers look tired already. Also the room AC controls varies alot too (we had 4 rooms total, each room has their diff. AC controls) and some works better than anothers, time to buy a new control from home depots people!

5. The door in the bathroom, it is very tired, feels like it will crack down very , very soon and it does take some effort to shut the door and it does create lots noises.

6. SPA La Quinta products that they provided in the room are NOT as good as the crabtree and evelyn products. I don't like the way they smell. For a 5 Star "resort" property, they should provide their guest with better toileries that are EASIER to squeeze.

7. The entrace is hard to find/ easy to miss at night but once you found it, you'll get used to it quickly.

8. Not many stores on site but once you get on Washington, there are walmart, mcD, all the supermarkets nearby so feels like home again.

9. On site restaurant are not that tasty and pretty pricy too!

Overall:

I think being part of the Waldorf=Astoria Collection puts alot of the pressure to this historic property, they still need lots renovation in order for them to be up par with the other W=A collections hotels. I gave this hotel overall 4* experience since I did have a very relaxing time and most of the staffs there are nice and helpful (esp the front desk girls), that made my weekend enjoyable. But will I stay at this property for the rack rate? No, not until they completely renovated this property!

• 3 months later...

Stayed here during July 1-4, 2007 (holiday). Got our King casita room on PL for $60/night (a little savings on the hotel's current Summer Splash special for rooms starting @ $89/night). Front desk check-in did not mention Priceline, but our check-in envelope contained a card that showed our assigned room number & also stated that room was pre-paid through Priceline. At check-out, the clerk mentioned that the resort was only 20% occupied during this Fourth of July holiday. He mentioned that our stay was pre-paid by Priceline & that we are being charged the $25 per night Resort Fee (ouch!). Supposedly, the Resort Fee covers:

- daily newspaper (we didn't get a paper on our check-out day :) )

- high-speed Internet access

- free use of tennis courts & fitness center

- free parking

IMHO, the Resort Fee is a bit high considering many hotels these days usually include all the above in the room price. If you want to use the sauna or jacuzzi spa you have to pay a fee even if you don't use the spa services.

The La Quinta is a really classy place in the old "Hollywood" style, classic California Mission/Adobe architecture w/ lots of Mexican tiles & pavers. Beautiful lawns & flower beds w/ lots of fruit trees & water fountains. Very peaceful & relaxed atmosphere.

Rooms (casitas) are arranged in clusters around a small pool (about 30 pools on this property). There is a large pool w/ cabanas (for rent) next to the tennis courts & fitness center. Since the resort was not full, it was considerably quiet (not crowded; plenty of lounge chairs) during our stay. However, there were lots of families here. Some noisy kids, some well-behaved kids. Fortunately, our neighbors & pool was very quiet.

Our king casitas was very large w/ fireplace, small refrig w/ ice maker, two sinks in bathroom w/ shower-tub combo. It was 100-120 degrees during our stay & our central A/C worked very well. Bed was so comfortable; nice & firm w/ down pillows & comforter, good quality linens & fluffy towels.

Did not eat @ on site restaurants, as there are plenty of restaurants nearby. Very convenient to gas stations, Vons/Albertsons/Trader Joes, Walgreens, Target, etc. The resort itself is about 30 mins from Palm Springs (downtown Palm Canyon Drive) & the PS Aerial Tram. It's about 45 mins to the Desert Hills outlet mall in Cabazon.

The housekeeping & grounds staff were friendly & hard-working. All in all, this is a great resort w/ a lot of charm. Just don't expect it to be a fancy modern bustling resort w/ all the latest ammenities. Very happy :) to stay here again.

• 2 years later...

I just returned from my stay and wanted to give a brief review. The entry way into the complex is very nice and manicured. The lobby is nice too with an old leather kind of feel. The grounds are nicely landscaped as landscapers worked hard cutting the grass / trimming trees / flowers everywhere. The place on Sunday was very busy with kids everywhere. Although there are 40 pools it seemed that everyone has a loud kid in it. Monday was PERFECT - we had our own private pool and were able to relax and enjoy the sun. The rooms are real charming. Different than a high rise hotel - there are these casitas (spanish sytle condo type places). Our room had a fire place and was quite nice. Nothing large or fancy about the room. Spanish tile, standard standing shower. Resort fee added at the end when we checked out for 27 bucks....

• 1 year later...

Stayed here with a couple of friends the weekend of Oct 14th. The entrance to the resort is as pretty as the website displays it to be. AS soon as we parked near reception, we were greeted by attentive valet and greeters who quickly showed us into the lobby and parked are cars. Reception was A+ as well. Were offered some kind of juice (which we declined and were quickly given room keys. Our rooms were off to the southern end of the resort (near timeshares?) we had to exit back onto street and enter through another gated entrance about a block away. Our rooms were nowhere near pools, which got us a little upset, we called reception and they were nice enough to move into a poolside casita. Rooms were awesome for the price we paid. Double bed, flat screen tv, double sink, tub and shower. The grounds were very well taken care of, except for a few places where lawn was dried up grass. Did not get to experience the resort during the day, but did walk a round at night and fell in love with the atmosphere. Music playing from restaurants, the tennis facilities in all their night time glory and the arcade room was pretty cool too. Fitness center was huge compared to others ive seen and the little waterfall near the Mexican restaurant was picture perfect. Did see a basketball court and putting green on my way back to the room too. Will be returning to this resort as I lucked out again with Priceline

• 6 months later...

My wife and I stayed here just 1 night from Saturday to Sunday. As has been mentioned before, the resort grounds are beautiful. The architectural details of the villas coupled with the landscaping really makes this resort special in my opinion. We arrived in the early afternoon, and were upgraded to a "spa villa suite" upon check-in. The rooms look a little dated, but that's because you're in a historic hotel. Furnishings are good, and the fixtures are top quality. As a result of the upgrade that we got, we had a separate sitting area and a large private balcony.

The villa pools are quiet and romantic, and the main resort pool is busy. We ate lunch at the sports bar, but went off resort for our other meals. The food that we did have was good.

All of the staff members that we came across in the resort were extremely friendly, courteous, and helpful. We loved this resort!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]