FL St Petersburg Bayfront Hilton

hannahb352
By hannahb352,
in

First of all I would not recommed this hotel. It started from the minute I got there the only parking was vallet and it was $10 a day, and I was going to be there 8 days! Check in went ok I got a new person and he was "very friendly" and actually the nicest person and the only staff member that seemed to smile. He helped us out a bit with parking because we were there over a holiday weekend he informed us that we could use street parking free of charge over the weekend but there were only a few "safe spots" in front of the hotel. So you hated to move your car for fear you couldn't get another spot. This hotel is in an area that is not exactly safe. We were told not to walk the downtown area at night, which I guess is normal for most downtowns. The only good part about this hotel was the pool. It was a nice size and most of the days it was clean. But there were several people who didn't appear to be staying at the hotel using the pool...one guy kept showing up on a bike and didn't look like tourist..quite rude at that, almost running you over (yes he would ride his bike right into the pool area!) As for our room...not even close to 3* quality. The room was dingy..dark..didn't feel clean, and looked right out on the roof and men were working on it the whole time we were there. The decor was way out of date and there were no baseboards the carpet just sort of ended at the wall. Furniture was in poor conditioned and needed to be replaced. Our hair dryer had been removed from the bathroom wall...I asked for another one to be put in it's place..and it was. We did have a coffee maker in our room but there was no pot in it. I asked at the desk where it was and I was told too many people leave them on or break them so they are not in the room. I was told I could get coffee from room service. I then asked why it wasn't just removed from the room and was told that if they did it would mean that they could loose a star level?? So i guess a coffee maker listed as an amenity doesn't mean that it has a coffee pot. There were 2 times during our 8 night stay where our room wasn't cleaned and we had to ask for towels at the desk. Oh yes...and it was a handicapped room! Wider doors and a bigger bathroom you think..well yes but yep you guessed it was a shower from h*ll. With one shower our bathroom would flood. We started piling towels up to make a wall to try to keep the flooding down. As you can imagine I would be very careful never to bid as low as a 3* including this zone ever again. I really don't think it was near a 3* quality, but I have to wonder if I just got a "special" room due to the priceline rate. This was my worst experience on priceline..had I booked it through Hilton heads would have rolled, and I would have checked right back out.

• 9 months later...

I have stayed at the Hilton, and agree that you can do better. Since my employer pays for it, I usually stay up the street at the Hampton Inn, because it is newer, cleaner, brighter, has a free hot breakfast, high speed internet for free in all rooms, and excellent cookies when you check in. The Hilton has none of these things, and needs some remodeling. It just seems like an old place.

I disagree about being safe downtown, though. St. Pete has a lot of restaurants that are fun to go to (like Pacific Wave) and I always felt safe walking around, no matter what time it was.

• 5 months later...

I agree that the rooms were a bit worn, but it ends there. Everyone was great... Not a problem from checkin until departure - all requests were cheerfully met.

I was surprised that parking was only $10 (it is no longer valet) as this is truely a downtown hotel.

Hotel is showing its age, but I spoke with the front desk clerk and he told us how they were doing the work - they will be redoing the rooms starting at the top and moving down. They plan to finish in June (I think that is what he said) and EVERYTHING Is being swapped out.

Maybe I was in the warmth of St. Pete and not in the snow of the northeast this past weekend, but I really thought all and all it was a great place (and worth the $36 priceline rate!).

• 4 weeks later...

I stayed here twice so far in 2005, and it's a solid 3*.

Restaurant, bar and lounge, room service, self parking at $10 a day (they have rid of valet parking people used to complain about), they have a lil gift shop, pool, spa I belive,etc. They're currently rennovating the hotel and so far they're doing a good job, it's an older property so some people don't like that, but it's a solid 3* and simply for the fact that most people who get this hotel through priceline.com and ridiculously cheap rates they don't have room to complain.

:) :) :o

• 1 month later...

We stayed at this hotel 3/21 - 3/25.

The positives:

The lobby was very nice. There is a bar and a restaurant. Additionally there is an on-site spa and a large pool/whirlpool.

We thought the location was great. I don't see how it could be considered unsafe. The view from our room was very nice, it was of the bay and a small airport. My children really enjoyed watching the helicopters and small planes take off!

We found all staff we encountered to be helpful and courteous.

The negatives:

I don't mind paying for parking, but I would prefer a valet option if I'm going to be charged $10 a day.

The condition of the room wasn't the best. It is definitely in need of a remodel. Mold in the bathroom, chipped drywall, worn carpet. However, we found the room to be very clean, so it was solely a cosmetic issue.

Overall, I would give this hotel a 3. It was definitely worth the $45 (plus parking) nightly rate we received on Priceline!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]