Hotwire Cancel

casperslc
By casperslc,
in

Hello friends,

On February 17 2020, I bid (by using your link) a hotel on Hot Wire.  I won the exact hotel your helper thought it would be - The Scotsdale Plaza Resort.  The trip is for the end of April and I don't feel we should travel.  But... more than the flying and hotel part is the fact that many restaurants, stores and attractions may not be open.  I'd rather not take that chance.  I cannot find good info regarding if Hotwire will refund my money and cancel the reservation due to Corona.  It seems every other place is.  Any info or suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Have you see this page: Hotwire Coronavirus Travel

(linked as it's constantly being updated, almost daily)

The link above will give you the most up-to-date information, but currently Hotwire is adhering to the terms set forth by the hotel:

Hotwire follows the policies of our partners, which means any credit, refund or change is at the discretion of the airline, hotel, cruise line or other travel provider.

The quote above from Hotwire further suggests:
The quickest way to find out if travel plans can be changed without a penalty will generally be to check the airline, car, or hotel website directly. Many of our partners are updating their policies to align with changing travel restrictions, so make sure to check back regularly.  

I did have a look at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort and it appears that the hotel is still open and operating (if they were closed thru the end of April it would be much easier to know what would happen in this situation).  As well, this page shows a list of hotels that are currently allowing cancellations: Hotels allowing Hotwire Cancellations

The page linked at the end of the paragraph above does have a link to request canceling your hotwire reservation, but unfortunately it does not indicate what happens if you request a cancellation and the hotel is not honoring refunds... would they simply not process the cancellation and leave you with the option of using the reservation, would they process the cancellation while not refunding any of your money (taking away the possibility of still traveling should things improve or should you become more comfortable with traveling), etc, etc.

With all of the above noted, i would first contact the hotel directly, let them know you have an upcoming reservation purchased thru Hotwire, you are concerned about traveling, as well as many restaurants and activities not being operational (you may also want to mention a specific event that you were planning to attend that is now canceled).  Ask them directly what your options are.

If they agree to cancel the reservation, inquire how it is that you will receive a refund (do you need to further contact Hotwire to process or will it be done automatically?).  Also be sure to write down the names (and date/time) of anyone that you speak to that authorizes the cancellation.

If they indicate that the reservation is non-refundable and can't be canceled, i would continue to monitor the pages at the links above to see if this property is added to the list of hotels that are allowing refunds.  As well, continue to call the hotel every 4-5 days to see if their policy has changed or if you can get somebody there with a sympathetic ear to allow a refund.

Good luck and let us know how you make out... or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SPRINGTRAVEL

(any Hotel, Car, or Flight where Coupon is accepted / max $60 discount... expires 03/24/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]