Visiting New York 02/15 to 02/22

straeten
By straeten,
in

Hello,

We are a family of five visiting New York for the dates 02/15 to 02/22 and will be visiting the city (big museums, central park, etc.).

We have a couple of questions to find the ideal hotel, knowing that February is not the most crowded period of the year. Budget for two rooms up to $450-$500 max.

• What would be the best location for a hotel when visiting New York
  • Is it possible to find rooms where the three kids could sleep together, adjacent to ours through priceline/hotwire?
  • Ideally the hotel would be in a quiet location with good bedding (4* minimum I suppose).

Many thanks

Geoffroy

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What would be the best location for a hotel when visiting New York

Typically anywhere in midtown that has good subway access, with 'good subway' access meaning a station (or ideally multiple stations/subway lines) within walking distance.  You don't need to be directly in Times Square.

54 minutes ago, straeten said:

Is it possible to find rooms where the three kids could sleep together, adjacent to ours through priceline/hotwire?

Basically you would need to book 2 rooms and then call the hotel to see if they have connecting rooms and if they are willing to assign you two rooms that are connecting.  Whether this is possible or not will depend upon multiple factors including the percent of connecting rooms that the hotel has, occupancy levels for your specific dates of travel, mood of the front desk clerk to be willing to put forth the effort to make the change, etc.

57 minutes ago, straeten said:

Budget for two rooms up to $450-$500 max.

Just to clarify, i assume this is your maximum budget for 2 rooms per nite, correct? (so $225-$250 per room per nite).

I would tend to lean towards HOTWIRE for your situation since you need more than double occupancy in one of your rooms.  All PRICELINE reservations, unless otherwise indicates, are for double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel... whereas HOTWIRE will allow you to search for up to quad occupancy in each room.  How old are your kids? (as this will give us a better idea of how much they may be willing to walk without starting to complain... 'convenient' takes on two different meanings with a 15 year old vs. a 4 year old:wink:)

I did do a quick search for your dates (searching 2 rooms/5 guests) and budget is not really going to be an issue as i'm seeing quite a few 'good' centrally located hotels that are well within budget.

Lastly, how would you rank budget, convenience, and quality of hotel... would you be willing to pay more to stay at something extra special and/or more convenient OR is budget more a priority and you would rather save money and be slightly outside of being centrally located (ie- maybe a 10-15 minute walk to a subway vs. a 5-10 minute walk to the subway)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know the information above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your answers Thereuare !

1/ Midtown: that would mean the following areas on hotwire: Central Park South, Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, Midtown East, Rockefeller center, Time Square

2/ Agree that hotwire would be more convenient.

3/ Kids are 17, 15 and 11 years old. 

4/ Budget would be indeed around $225-$250 per night per room all inclusive (taxes, fees, etc.)

5/ We would be willing to pay a bit more for extra special or convenience - I still remember my stay at the Waldorf Astoria 20 years ago 😉.

Many thanks for your help - there are so many hotels in NY!

Best

Geoffroy

2 hours ago, straeten said:

Midtown: that would mean the following areas on hotwire: Central Park South, Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, Midtown East, Rockefeller center, Time Square

Yes, but you could also include parts of Chelsea and/or Gramercy Park into this mix as well; but you should be able to reasonably identify most properties so if looking at these two other areas determine how close to a subway you will be.

Using the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab of our BiddingHelper.com tool and searching for 2rooms/3adults/2children i'm seeing the following:

4* HOTWIRE Midtown East for $107
Free internet
Pet friendly
Smoke-free rooms
Fitness center
Restaurant(s)
Business center
==> Even Hotel Midtown East... newer hotel (and a newer hotel fitness inspired concept too) that has been getting decent reviews.  The location is a bit far East, but if anyone in the family is into fitness it may be something to consider at this price point.

4* HOTWIRE Times Square for $127
Pet friendly
Smoke-free rooms
Fitness center
Restaurant(s)
Business center
Internet access
==> Sheraton New York... fairly non-descript and impersonal (as it's mostly a business hotel and airline crew) but a great location just off of Times Square

4* HOTWIRE Empire State Building - Bryant Park for $129
Free internet
Smoke-free rooms
Fitness center
Restaurant(s)
Business center
==> Club Quarters Midtown... nothing fancy but a solid hotel that continues to get good reviews and an excellent location

4.5* HOTWIRE Midtown East for $130
Free internet
Smoke-free rooms
Fitness center
Restaurant(s)
Business center
Golf nearby
Kitchenette
Accessible for visually impaired
==> San Carlos Hotel... admittedly i don't know too much about this one but gets good reviews (although a little less central than the 2 above, but more central than the EVEN Hotel)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let's start with your thoughts on any of the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SPRINGTRAVEL

(any Hotel, Car, or Flight where Coupon is accepted / max $60 discount... expires 03/24/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]