Name your own price

jmuls
By jmuls,
in

I tried to use the name your own price for saint pete beach florida. I bid 100 dollars and was told if I bid 142 I could get a room at a 4 star hotel.  The priceline express deals had a 4 star for 125 so I bid again at 110 and again was told to bid 142, I have not used NYOP in a while and was wondering if they are fazing it out or what. Thanks and happy holidays       Joe

They are making the Name Your Own Price harder to find, so we have set up BiddingForHotelRooms.com for the quickest/easiest way to access the bidding page.

It has always been important to 'know your prices' to determine a maximum bid, as sometimes a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal (or HOTWIRE offer) can be cheaper than raising your bid further.  Our BiddingHelper.com tool is essential (and the reason for creating it) to know your prices thru Priceline/Hotwire with just one search.  As well, it has recently been expanded to automatically match the hotel offers with our hotel lists and previous research.

If you haven't tried it yet give it a try:
1) search using BiddingHelper.com

2) click the PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE EASY VIEW

3) hover your mouse over (or click if on mobile device) the 'FIND MATCH from HOTEL LIST' button

Did you take the 4 star PRICELINE EXPRESS deal or were you not willing to pay any higher than $110?  If you went for it what did you get?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know whatever you decide for this stay or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

If you read a few posts above, PRICELINE has reconfigured their page once again, we are looking to see if any viable options, but will take at least a few days of research/testing.

You can subscribe to this thread (button on top right of page) as we will post a reply here if/when we are able to get it working again.

I will add, as i did above, that recently bidding has only been beneficial for one nite stays and/or 2.5 star and below... for stays of 2+ nites and 3+ stars, our Priceline Coupon can bring the costs very close to the 'right' price when bidding (and gives you the added benefit of knowing some details about the hotel and/or figuring out the name beforehand).

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Most of the features of NYOP have been eliminated from the app as well... no more re-bidding since you can only bid on one zone at a time.

In most instances you can get as good of a deal with PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE, especially when using our Priceline Coupon.  The caveat is that our 'everyday' coupon requires a 2+ nite stay, although at the moment (valid until tomorrow 3/15) there is also a $20 off coupon that requires a $100 purchase (no star rating or minimum number of nites).

Also, there was never really any way to determine which hotel you would get when bidding, but recently both PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE have made it easier to research / identify hotels.  Most hotels can be identified using our BiddingHelper.com tool:
1) search at BiddingHelper.com

2) click the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab or PRICELINE EXPRESS tab

3) hover your mouse (or click) the blue 'FIND MATCH in HOTEL LIST'

--> most hotel names will be shown instantly

If you see a hotel that you're interested in and would like us to have a second look before purchase, or if a hotel has not yet been identified, feel free to ask for help and we will take a look.

Good luck in your pursuit in a hotel and let us know if we can be of any help with your current travel plans.

• 3 weeks later...

For the first time in ages I actually used NYOP in late February. My first bid was denied, but in the response informing of the denial I was able to rebid and used the time-honored strategy of the good ‘ole days. The hotel I won (Burbank, CA Marriott) was available through Priceline Express for $108 per night, but I was curious to see if NYOP would be less. I ended up winning via NYOP on my 3rd try at $105. So although NYOP has been reduced to entering through the back door (🙄), it’s still there, albeit a shadow of its former self. 

One note of interest I observed was the difference in taxes/fees on Priceline Express vs NYOP. Although there was only a $3 per night difference in price between the two, the difference in taxes and fees was $25 for a 2 night stay in favor of NYOP. Not sure if that’s standard everywhere or only in my circumstance. 

Apologies for not posting the bid. I was in a hurry and also frustrated that I couldn’t support this site since NYOP is only available through the app. 

I came here today today to see if there’s any chatter about NYOP. Wonder if we’ll see it return to popularity in our new environment as the travel industry struggles to rebound. 

Hi Beav, good to see you and glad you stopped by the board!:smile: (although sorry to see your previous photo/icon missing... did we lose that in a board upgrade??)

There really has not been that much discussion about Priceline Bidding coming back to the system, although the thought has certainly crossed my mind, but i think it is way to early to speculate.

Whether bidding returns or not i do think there are going to be some incredible deals to be had in the not-so-distant future (and are already appearing for those who want to, or have to, travel... or are willing to plan travel well into the future).  The hotel industry has been so strong for the last 10+ years, occupancy levels high, and fewer and fewer unoccupied rooms to fill at deeply discounted prices that it has made it more difficult for the opaque providers to offer the value they did nearly 20 years ago when most of started to get involved with Priceline/Hotwire (deals have still been available, but they have not been as prevalent and not the screaming deals they were when bidding/opaque first came on the scene.  With global travel coming to an abrupt halt the balance of supply/demand has quickly reversed direction, and once people start to travel again we may be seeing lots of deals that were 'as good as the old days'.

Hope you and your loved ones/family are doing well and that things return to 'normal' more quickly than is currently predicted.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SPRINGTRAVEL

(any Hotel, Car, or Flight where Coupon is accepted / max $60 discount... expires 03/24/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]