Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* New York (Long Island City) Manhattan View to Wyndham Garden Long Island City

Doru
By Doru,
in

Hello,

I'm looking for a hotel with parking (free or not too expensive), close to a metro station. Can you please recommend an area to search on Hotwire or Priceline?

We will visit NY between 11 and 15 of October, and we would probably need 2 rooms.

Thanks!

If you're looking for a hotel in Manhattan with Free Parking i would give up that requirement and focus on trying to save money elsehwhere... the Skyline Hotel used to offer Free Parking but now charges for parking , although at a very affordable for the area $10/nite.  HOWEVER, you also have to think about what type of hotel/experience it is that you're looking for and what is important to you for this stay, as often if a hotel offers some amazing perk that is not offered by anyone else in the area, it can be that the hotel is deficient in other areas and uses this perk to lure in customers.

If you're looking to stay outside of Manhattan and commute in, you have a few more options, but again it comes down to what type of experience are you looking for... is it worthwhile saving on parking in order to have to commute 30 minutes each way into Manhattan? (i'm not saying it is or isn't, it's a question you need to ask yourself, and can even take it a step further).

Lastly, two suggestions we have frequently made for NYC visitors:
1) you can almost always get parking cheaper than what the hotel offers thru a private garage in the area.  Unless you have day trips planned outside of the city you're not going to need your vehicle once you arrive, so better to drop bags off at the hotel, drive to a nearby (or even not so nearby if returning to the hotel via mass transit is convenient enough) lot to park your vehicle for the duration of your stay... then do the same in reverse when it's time to leave.

2) depending upon where you are driving in from, you may be able to park at a train station outside of the city along your path of travel... leave your car at the train station (if allowed) for either free or at a rate substantially cheaper than NYC and take the train for the last leg of your journey into Manhattan.  The longer your NYC stay it is easier to make up the difference in the added cost of train tickets by the less expensive parking, but it also avoids you having to drive in Manhattan (something many people are not comfortable with) as well as the $15 toll into the city.

1 hour ago, Doru said:

we would probably need 2 rooms

Exactly how many adults/children do you have in total (and if different families what is the number of adults/children in each family).  What is the deciding factor between one room vs. two rooms (you mention 'probably' need 2 rooms) as this is likely going to be a bigger cost differentiator relative to the cost of parking.

What is your expected budget for this 4 night trip?  Is this per room or total for all guests if you ultimately need two rooms?  What level star rating hotel are you expecting?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know the information above regarding location, occupancy, star rating, and budget and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Outside Manhattan is good, as long as there's a metro line close by the hotel. Last time I was in NY we stayed at The Box House in Brooklyn, parking was on the street, and the hotel was not far from metro line (just crossing a bridge) by foot.

We are 2 families, 2 adults each, so the price will be by room/family. We are aiming to not go over 180USD, and we just want a hotel with good reviews. Of course, if we could get a reasonable parking cost for 4 days elsewhere, near the hotel, that will good too. We will not use the car at all during  these 4 days.

Few ideas:

3.5* Long Island City (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $132/nite

Free Internet Available

No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

Business Center

Free Internet Access

==> Hotel Vetiver

3.5* HOTWIRE Long Island City for $127.54
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
==> Wyndham Garden Long Island City

Both of these are an easy walk to a nearby subway station that can have you in Manhattan in 5-10 minutes.  There is street parking nearby but there may be 'alternate side of the street' parking involved (not sure if you encountered this in Brooklyn) in which you may need to move your car daily to the other side of the street to account for street cleaning, although that is likely not a factor over the weekend... and not sure if in effect on Oct 14 which the rules may be suspended in observance of Columbus Day.

Thoughts on either of these options?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts (or how it goes if you move forward with either of these) and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I didn't see anything within your budget in Brooklyn... as well as it being a longer commute into midtown Manhattan vs. Long Island City.

Always double check parking signs/regulations, but i'm pretty sure there is no enforcement on Sat/Sun and possibly none on Columbus day either.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

1 hour ago, Doru said:

Any chance to get something with Priceline Name your Own Price?

Sure there is a chance, all depends how high you're willing to bid... but then you have no ability to target/guess the hotel you may receive and therefore not know how close you will be to a subway station, quality of reviews, etc.

1 hour ago, Doru said:

I'll use the links once we decide to book.

Keep in mind that these offers/prices could disappear at any time.

1 hour ago, Doru said:

I see the median at $174 for 3.5 stars.

Historically this information is meaningless and not accurate.

1 hour ago, Doru said:

I will also try Priceline Name your Own Price for Long Island City

Before bidding make sure you're comfortable with a hotel anywhere within the shaded boundary of the Long Island City zone.

For easy access to the Priceline bidding page please use our sister site BiddingForHotelRooms.com.

Keep us updated on your progress.

56 minutes ago, Doru said:

The last two you mention earlier, and Aloft probably will not be won!

New hotels can/are added all the time, some hotels are removed, as well as the star rating of exiting hotels being upgraded/downgraded.  As well, remember that when bidding on Priceline the star rating you choose is the minimum that you're willing to accept, so an upgrade to a higher rated hotel is also always a possibility as well.

However, if you're not yet ready to commit at this point in time i wouldn't get too wrapped up in trying to figure out the results based upon what is showing today, as a LOT can potentially happen/change between now and when you're plans are firm.

Let us know if/when your plans are firm and you're ready to move forward.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that you're happy with the results! (and that you were able to use the new Hotwire Coupon :smile:)

As you're heading back from the city one nite, if you're looking for a late nite 'snack' stay on the N or W train to the Broadway stop (don't confuse with Manhattan's Broadway, this is in Astoria/Queens) this place has one of the best square slices around (other pizza/food there is 'ok', but the square slices are what shine... and if you're just ordering slices you need to sit at the 'pizzeria area' on the left rather than the 'restaurant' area on the right:

Sac's Place

3511 35th Ave

(or you could make it an expensive lunch by ordering a whole square pie OR pair with some salads/appetizers/entrees for a casual dinner)

EDIT TO ADD:  i just learned that they closed this location and moved to 'Kaufman Astoria Studios'... but i can't vouch if things are the same at the new location, apparently no slices at the new location (for the time being) and they have left their coal over at the old location, so tough call to make... i'll have to try to do some 'research' next time i'm out that way

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]