Hotwire Hotel: Hyatt House White Plains, NY

sdbetter
By sdbetter,
in

Anyone can help me figure out if there are any deals on Hyatt House in White Plains, NY? I tried to use this website here to identify the express deals but it couldn't match to this hotel. I'm planning to stay here up to 30 days and it has to be a hotel that is in Harrison, NY school district. For those two reasons, I have to be pretty sure it's this hotel. I'm planning to call the hotel directly as well, but I want to ask them to match priceline/hotwire express deal if there is one.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What you're trying to achieve is going to be difficult, imo... although i did have a quick look and i think it may be possible for about the $150/nite area (before taxes/fees).  Do you have a maximum budget in mind that would make this endeavor worthwhile?  Do you need a specific 30 day period?

However, let's say you are able to reasonably ID the hotel, how would the phone call to the hotel go: "I think i see your hotel offered, will you match the price?"

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your reply!

The 30 day period is an estimate still a moving target, but It will start around September 1st and end on or before October 17th. It's bounded by the start of school year and the closing date for my home purchase.

The phone conversation will of course depend on how sure I am of the hotel id. If fairly certain, I will say "I see your hotel offered for xxx on priceline/hotwire, will you match the price?" Of course, I expect they won't match, but they may come down some what. When I last checked, their website lists prices around $159 a night. Priceline express says $100/night but I can't be sure of the location. I don't want to call them and say 100$ without some confidence in the location. I think $150/night is definitely possible since it's close to their website price. Perhaps they don't give much discount to priceline/hotwire.

I think what I need is more of a percentage that priceline/hotwire receives from the hotel so that I can ask for a reasonable price. I may or may not succeed but I want to be as best informed as I can be, before the phone call.

Let us know once your first set of dates are confirmed... but i think you would have better luck just calling the hotel, ask to speak with the revenue manager (or hotel manager if there is no revenue manager on-site), and let them know you have a need for a longterm stay, at a minimum 30 days (or 45 days if you think that is more realistic) and potentially up to 60+ days; ask what the best price they can do for you.

From here you know your 'price to beat' from PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, as well as a starting point of where to negotiate with them.  If you don't like their rate then call other hotel(s) in the area and repeat the process.  I think you would have more success with 'The Courtyard (or whatever other hotel) has offered me $xx... can you match that rate (or "i'd prefer to be a little cheaper can you do it for $yy?")... from a business point of view i believe this is a better approach then "i think i have figured out your hotel and i'd like you to match the opaque rate".

Two other notes:

1) i don't remember the exact details, and state laws are likely different and/or have changed since then, but if you have a continuous stay at the same property for xx days you may be able to get any sales tax refunded since your now a 'resident' as opposed to a 'hotel guest' (similar to how you don't pay tax on a home/apartment rental) (EDIT TO ADD: it looks like it's 90 days... but if this becomes a factor you should confirm the correct number of days and full details on your own)

2) if you go to the school district and show them your home purchase contract, they may allow you to start in the school system even if not living directly in the district at the start of the school year... this may give you other options than staying within the immediate area (assuming the commute to/from school is still do-able)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Keep us updated on your progress/decision and let us know how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Okay, so I went to the hotel in person, told them what I wanted and they said they would email me. I got the email and the rate is $179 +15% taxes. The dates are September 5th to October 15. I confirmed that if I book through them, then I can cancel early. Which is a big deal, because I can close on any date prior to Oct 15th. They said if I went to priceline or expedia, etc... I wouldnt have that option. I dont know if that is true. Anyhow, I can now reply to the email to try to negotiate. Any advice?

First, see if the email is coming from a 'general' email address or specifically a hotel manager or the revenue/accounting department.

Before you try to negotiate you first need to decide how much you really want this specific property (and the amenities it offers... such as a kitchenette since eating out for an extended period of time can get costly) vs. 'any' hotel in the area that may be less expensive.  If there are other hotels in the area that would be acceptable (ie- Residence Inn, Staybridge Suites, etc) then you have more leverage... if this is really the best hotel for your needs then you don't have as much room to negotiate.

Looking at the Hyatt website they are giving you a 0% discount :biggrin:... for the dates you mentioned their online rate is $179/nite as well.  It doesn't look like their AAA discount applies for such an extended stay, but you can probably do better by stringing together consecutive reservations (21 days for the first reservation and then 3-7 day increments from there) and using a AAA discount (it's not a big discount but even $8/nite adds up after 30+ nites)

I wouldn't expect them to take it, but i would start at $140/nite and offer to pre-pay for the first 30 days (hotels love to get revenue on the books).  I would have a conversation something along the lines of 'I checked online and $179 is the same rate i can get by booking thru your website, i am expecting a discount given my 30+ nite length of my stay.  If you could do it for $140/nite i would pre-pay for the first 30 nites now."

If they say 'no', then give it back to them... "how much of a discount could you offer if i pre-pay for the first month now?"

This is the time you begin to look at other hotels in the area that may work (i see there is also a Cambria Suites that seems to get good reviews, as well as other properties)... repeat the process with them to get your best rate.  Once you have gotten everyone's best price, you can then:
1) negotiate further with your first choice of hotel to see if they will match the rate (or at least come close to it, throw in a room upgrade, etc)

2) try to shave a few more dollars off of the best rate you have been offered

The above assumes that you're sure of your start date as well as your need to be there for at least 30 nites, if not, adjust your numbers/dates accordingly.

One thing that may be working against you here is that the Hyatt House is an extended stay type of hotel, so a 30+ nite stay may not be such an anomaly for them (vs. say a 'regular' Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Resort, Marriott, Hilton, etc).  As well, i would imagine that many of their extended stay customers are corporations who are paying for accommodations for temporary contractors or employees visiting from other locations, and they are less sensitive to price.

The above is how i would play it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]