Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* or 4* NYC & Medford August 4 - 12

geokilla
By geokilla,
in

I booked August 4th to 8th and August 9th to 12th at Quality Suites in North Bergen, North Jersey for a total of $523 and $472 tax included. Before tax, it is $444.80 and $401.60. On August 8th to August 9th, we'll be staying at Comfort Inn in Medford for $151.35 after tax, $135.59 before tax. 

We are exploring the option of booking somewhere in Manhattan for August 4th to 8th. We want the convenience of staying there and not having to rely on the hotel shuttle to get from North Bergen to Times Square and back. If we missed the shuttle, we gotta pay for a taxi or Uber home. However is it safe is it to park my car for a few days in a NYC parking garage by the hotel? Naturally the car will be emptied out but I don't want to come back and see the car scratched. My friend said it's fine and she lives in Brooklyn I think?

I see Hotwire is running a deal for 4 star hotel in Rockefeller Center area for $132/night + $22 resort fee. 4 star hotel in World Trade Center - Wall Street area is $137 + $22 resort fee. Times Square is $122 + $40 resort fee! Alternatively maybe I can bid on Priceline for a hotel in the $100/night range?

Thank you for creating your own thread for this trip...

I'm very familiar with the NYC area, as well as the area around North Bergen, so a few comments to get started (and perhaps a few questions afterwards)...

As far i as know, the Quality Suites does not operate a shuttle to the Port Authority, this service is provided by independent vans that troll a designated route and pick up passengers along the way (nothing wrong with this, as many use them to commute everyday to/from work or stops along the way, but realize you're not getting direct service from your hotel to the Port Authority.  You would pick up this van/shuttle at 10th and JFK Blvd. which is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel (uphill on the way there... downhill on the way back).  The shuttle run well into the nite (at least 1am i believe, if not even later) so not sure what time you would plan on leaving the city that you would be concerned about 'missing' the last shuttle back to the hotel (which also raises a question if you want to be walking 15 minutes from the bus dropoff point back to the hotel if it's going to be 1:30am)

From where are driving from?  If you do need to stay outside of Manhattan (for budget reasons) there may be better choices than North Bergen (such as Long Island CIty (which is different than Long Island), Jersey CIty (if along the waterfront area), or Hoboken).

NYC hotel rates are typically going to be least expensive Friday-Monday so would you consider staying in Manhattan for the latter part of your trip (or perhaps both, or the latter part of your trip and then a 'better' location than North Bergen for the first part of your trip?).  I assume your dates in Bedford are fixed and you have an event to attend there so that can't be changed?

Lastly, to confirm, you only need accommodations for double occupancy?

HOTWIRE's website is currently down (i can access their home page but not getting any results for any searches, so i can't comment at the moment on the hotel offers you referenced above) but once i see your reply to my comments above i'll have another look (i assume HOTWIRE won't be down for too long) and be able to comment accordingly.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts regarding the information above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

They've been running a shuttle for many years now assuming nothing changed. I stayed at the same hotel many years ago when it used to be a Comfort Suites. Confirmed with front desk last night and the last shuttle is 10:30PM from Times Square back to the hotel. It's definitely a hotel shuttle of some sort since it was basically direct service from the hotel to Times Square when we last used it like 5 years ago.

I'm driving from Toronto. We looked into Long Island City briefly but I think we didn't choose it cus it was so much more expensive than the Quality Suites we booked. 20% significant organizations rate saved us a ton of money, along with shuffling the check in/out dates a bit. Managed to save $161 on lodging for the whole trip while still keeping the same "Arrive in NYC on evening of August 4, leave August 12" dates.

The Bedford date is flexible. We just want to go to the beach in between so we're going to head over to try and find a nice beach. Originally we booked Bedford for August 7th to 8th, but now we changed it to August 8th to 9th.

Yup accomodation for double occupancy.

3 hours ago, geokilla said:

They've been running a shuttle for many years now assuming nothing changed.

You may be right, but the hotel's website does indicate:

A 3rd-party-operated shuttle service is available between the hotel and 41st and Broadway near Times Square; Please contact hotel for times and fares.

Also, i called them as well and asked specifically if it was their shuttle or the junkets that run along JFK Blvd. and i was told it's a 15 minute walk and the fare was $3.xx (i forget the exact amount).  So if you do double check, i would confirm if it is a hotel shuttle that picksup/dropsoff at the hotel OR if you need to walk to the bus stop (it's possible the guy on the phone was only telling me about a secondary option, i will admit he did seem to want to get me off of the phone rather quickly).  If it is the public bus/shuttle, it does run later than 10:30pm, which may work in your favor as another means to get back to (or at least close to) the hotel.

4 hours ago, thereuare said:

NYC hotel rates are typically going to be least expensive Friday-Monday so would you consider staying in Manhattan for the latter part of your trip (or perhaps both, or the latter part of your trip and then a 'better' location than North Bergen for the first part of your trip?)

??? (this perhaps the most important question asked above, but i'm not sure if you said this was OK)

3 hours ago, geokilla said:

The Bedford date is flexible. We just want to go to the beach in between so we're going to head over to try and find a nice beach. Originally we booked Bedford for August 7th to 8th, but now we changed it to August 8th to 9th.

Two questions here... where exactly is this?  In your first post you mentioned Medford, but now you're saying Bedford, so i'm not sure exactly where it is you're heading and what beach it is that you intend to go to.  Also, have you also considered going to the beach on the front or back end of your trip so that you then only have to change hotels once instead of twice?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know the information above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Almost forgot, now that HOTWIRE is back up, for the hotels you requested above our guesses are below (in the future please also include the amenities associated with the hotel as i'm not certain these are the same hotels you asked about since the prices appear to have changed):
4* HOTWIRE Rockefeller Center for $134.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
==> Club Quarters, opposite Rockefeller Center

Note there is another 4* hotel in this zone for the same price.

In the World Trade Center zone i'm seeing two offers but neither is priced at $137, i'm guessing maybe it was this one since this too has a $22/nite resort fee:

4* HOTWIRE World Trade Center - Wall Street for $123.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Wheelchair Accessible
==> World Center Hotel

4* HOTWIRE Times Square for $125.00 (again, i'm assuming this is the one since it has a $40 resort fee)
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
==> Row NYC

Let us know what you decide or how you'd like to proceed.

I called Quality Suites twice throughout the month and each time I asked about the hotel shuttle and the times, and cost. It costs $15 round trip per person so I'm pretty confident it's a 3rd party shuttle service the hotel contracted with. We would prefer to stay in Manhattan for the first leg of the trip if possible. We want to keep the 2nd half flexible since we may choose to leave early or stay for an extra day or two.

Sorry I meant Medford, NY. Was a typo when I typed Bedford. Just want to go to Long Island or Hamptons area and find a nice beach there. We did consider going to the beach at the end of the trip, but we want to use the beach as a stop gap. We're definitely going to be walking around a lot so we want to use the beach day as a way for us to relax, sleep in, and chill in general. Maybe we should just hit up Coney Island or find a beach closer to NYC instead?

Yeah it seems the hotels and amenities are changing each time I'm able to check. I was trying to check at work today and the page would always refresh because the deal was "gone." Do forgive me if I don't post the amenities. I'll search those 3 hotels you listed and see how much parking is in the area. So far it's looking like staying in Manhattan is twice as much as staying in North Bergen.

Looked at Long Island City as you suggested. I guess as long as it's not a far walk to the station, it beats Quality Suites North Bergen. Even if we gotta take a taxi or Uber it's probably a lot cheaper?

2 hours ago, geokilla said:

I'll search those 3 hotels you listed and see how much parking is in the area.

I don't think this is a good use of your time as you aren't going to use your car while you're staying at a Manhattan hotel, so you can easily drop your bags off at the hotel and park remotely if there is significant savings, then just subway/mass transit back to the hotel (if not's not walk-able)... and then do the same at the end of your trip.

We're definitely going to be walking around a lot so we want to use the beach day as a way for us to relax, sleep in, and chill in general. Maybe we should just hit up Coney Island or find a beach closer to NYC instead?

Changing hotels can be worthwhile, but it's always more of a time investment than anticipated... packing up at one hotel, checking out, commute to the next hotel, check-in, get settled in... using a hotel for one nite mid-trip is probably not going to be very relaxing, imo.

So far it's looking like staying in Manhattan is twice as much as staying in North Bergen.

There is a reason for that... but don't forget to also include the $30/day roundrop to get to/from NYC each day... so if you can find parking in NYC for $50/day or less (i suspect that you could find much less if you're willing to stay further from your hotel as i noted above) you're looking at a $20/day different (or $10 per person per day)... it comes down to what type of experience you want and where you want to spend your money, and where you value the trade-off of experience/convenience vs. cost.

So far it's looking like staying in Manhattan is twice as much as staying in North Bergen.

If budget is a primary factor (which it sounds like it is) then you should be more flexible in staying in NYC for the cheaper days of your trip (ie- the end of your trip).  Just picking one hotel at random for the latter nites of your trip:
4* Downtown - Wall Street (<-- confirm your dates on the landing page) for $111/nite with:
Restaurant
Free Internet available
Free Internet
Fitness Center
==> CLUB QUARTERS HOTEL, WALL STREET is our best guess here... which all-in, including the board's Priceline Coupon, comes to $480 vs. the $405 you have booked in North Bergen... is it worth an extra $25/nite (plus whatever parking difference vs. $30 commuting expense) to stay directly in Manhattan?

or even a better location and hotel than staying in North Bergen would be to stay in Hoboken:

4* HOTWIRE Hoboken - Union City - Weehawken for $121.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
==> W Hoboken hotel... which would be $437 all-in with HOTWIRE code HOTNIGHTS (although you will have to pay for parking in Hoboken as well, but your commuting costs will be less and quicker)

As you can see there are multiple options, but with less than a week to go before your trip i think you need to make some decisions as to what type of trip/experience you would like and if you're willing to pay-up a bit from what you currently have reserved.

Let us know what you decide and how you'd like to proceed.

I think we will take your advice on staying in one hotel for the whole time we're in NYC. So that'll be August 4 to August 12. Currently looking at Comfort Inn Long Island City for $1,122 tax included + roughly $15/day for parking nearby. That'll be our back up plan if we cannot find a more luxurious hotel in Long Island City for a similar price. Priceline    currently has a 3.5* hotel for $1,069 tax included after discount with the follow amenities:

WiFi

Business Centre

King bed with standard or executive room

As you said, budget is a primary factor and then convenience is a close second.

Would bidding on Priceline be cheaper than these Hotwire or Express deals? My bids have been getting rejected but that's because I'm lowballing with under $100/night bids in Manhattan on a 4 star hotel, which is to be expected unless they're desperate to fill up vacant rooms.

For this Express deal (complete stay😞

3.5* Long Island City (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $114/nite with:
Business Center
Free Internet available
Free Internet
==> Hotel Vetiver is my best guess (you can see it shows an exact match when searching using our BiddingHelper.com tool and in the PRICELINE EXPRESS tab click the 'FIND MATCH in HOTEL LIST'.  If anything is less than a 100% match, or you want a second opinion before purchases, we're happy to take a look, but at least using this tool (for anything that shows as a perfect match) will save you some time by giving you an early indication of what it is that you're looking at)

9 hours ago, geokilla said:

I think we will take your advice on staying in one hotel for the whole time we're in NYC

It will make things easier, but i think more so my advice above was that THREE hotels would be too many (TWO hotels, one change, is acceptable as well if you're OK with changing hotels).  If that would be an option you could consider:

FOR 8/4-8/9:

4* Long Island City (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $95/nite with:
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet available
Free Internet
==> Z NYC Hotel (there is a resort fee so really just about the same price as the one above for your complete trip OR you can consider the one below for this segment as well:

3.5* Long Island City (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $109/nite with:
Business Center
Free Internet available
Free Internet
==> Hotel Vetiver

Then for 8/9-8/12:

3.5* Long Island City (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $102/nite with:
Business Center
Free Internet available
Free Internet
==> Hotel Vetiver

3.5* HOTWIRE World Trade Center - Wall Street for $112.00
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Business
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
==> Eurostars Wall Street

4* HOTWIRE Chelsea - Greenwich Village for $132.00
Boutique
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
==> New York Hilton Fashion District

**So you will notice that by splitting the stay it looks like the 3.5* in the Long Island City zone is the same hotel and would be cheaper than purchasing as one complete stay.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Man these prices fluctuate so much. Checked the 4* HOTWIRE Chelsea - Greenwich Village for $132.00 you mentioned and it's now $146. Driving me nuts. But yeah, thanks for your help. I understand how the BiddingHelper.com site works now and how to take advantage of the deals on there. Will keep you posted on what we do.

20 minutes ago, geokilla said:

Man these prices fluctuate so much. Checked the 4* HOTWIRE Chelsea - Greenwich Village for $132.00 you mentioned and it's now $146. Driving me nuts.

Pluses are going to fluctuate more often (and hotels are going to disappear entirely) this close to your arrival date... but i am still seeing this one for $133/nite at the moment (there is also a different one offered for $128 (remember, these are just for the weekend dates of 8/9-8/12)

20 minutes ago, geokilla said:

I understand how the BiddingHelper.com site works now and how to take advantage of the deals on there.

We just launched this (haven't even gotten links up throughout the site yet) which you may like even better!  Warning, it may be addicting😀:

RevealHotels.com

39 minutes ago, geokilla said:

Better to sell a room for cheap than to leave it vacant no?

Nope, it's a common misconception that rates will suddenly drop at the very last minute, that's usually not the case for a whole variety of reasons... there is not that much demand 'sitting on the fence' that by lowering rates they are going to attract that much more business.  Even if they could attract a LOT of business they have not properly scheduled staff to accommodate the sudden surge in occupancy levels.  Although you are thinking about an empty room from your point of view, the hotel has a different point of view... you're coming and you don't have a place to stay yet!  They would rather keep rates high for last minute walk-in customers, just as airlines charge the most for same day departures (even if they have empty seats on the plane).

With all of the above noted, the prices above are actually pretty good for NYC and it could be argued that these are deals... 4 star hotels in the $125 range, you only see prices like this in the slow-season, and sub-$100 has not really been seen in nearly a decade (during the financial crisis when the economy was doing poorly and business travel was severely reduced) or during a solo Sunday nite stay, which is the slowest nite of the week for hotels (since tourists have gone home and business travelers have not yet arrived).

Glad you found something that works for your needs and that we were able to help you streamline this into a better coordinated trip.

Thank you for closing this thread with your decision, enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]