Hotwire Hotel: 5* London (Notting Hill - Bayswater - Paddington Station) Lancaster London

in

Selected a corner room.  Hotwire mistakenly had it as a queen, when it's a king.  Turns out that with fees, the rate difference was only $90 for the 3 nights even after including a $30 coupon from booking direct.  At these rates, I don't think that's worth it as hotels always treat you worse for having booked 3rd party, and have little/no flexibility if that becomes necessary vs booking direct - especially for an independent property like this.

Until sites show you the total cost initially [like some hotel sites do] it is difficult to compare rates.

4.3 Hotwire rating, 4.5 TripAdvisor, 635 reviews

Free internet

Amenities

Fitness centerRestaurant(s)Smoke-free rooms

Congratulations on your success!

Few comments regarding the above:

Make sure you're comparing apples-to-apples, converting for the USD vs GBP currency, and the same room type... i'm figuring your total above to be about $1241/nite where as i'm seeing a Deluxe Corner Room for your dates at $1529 (even their standard classic room is $1278 which would be more than your price above for an upgraded Superior Corner room).

Regardless of the actual numbers in this example, each hotel has a different theory on revenue management... the goals of some hotels is just to fill rooms at any price and these hotels may be willing to discount more deeply than others (with the idea that once a guess is on-site they will spend more at the hotel restaurant, gift shop, bar, spa, etc, etc) whereas other revenue managers are more focused on REVPAR (revenue per available room) and may not be willing to discount as heavily for fear of ruining 'their numbers'.  Add into the mix hotel demand, rates at nearby competing hotels, special events, business meetings, etc. and it can get fairly complicated how to price a room (although with computer software and LOTS of data hotels are getting substantially better and predicting demand for any given date in the future).

For price comparison we do have our 'IS THIS A GOOD PRICE' button (although i see this isn't working at the moment in the BiddingHelper.com EASY VIEW (i'll look into this later in the week), but you can see it in action in the PRICELINE EXPRESS tab where it is working) so you can compare the rate for hotels of the same star rating within the zone.  I understand this doesn't address your full needs, but it's a step in the right direction in comparing room rates and see just how much of a discount is being offered.  I think the bigger issue for making price comparisons are resort fees as more and more hotels are starting to charge them; fortunately these fees are paid by all guests regardless of how the room is booked, but it can have a dramatic effect on somebody's budget if not accounted for (ie- many of the 5 star hotels in Vegas are now approaching the $50/nite area in resort fees)

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please click the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]