Priceline Hotel: NYC Hotel Help

JamesEats
By JamesEats,
in

Hi there, 

We are planning a trip with my in laws to NYC from Sept 5-9. To save cost we are planning to share room with two beds. Using HOTWIRE I can specify 4 adults but cannot do so in PRICELINE. IS there a chance if i book priceline i cannot select bed type? 

It will be our in laws first time in NYC so would like to be centrally located and easy transport access. Areas considering Midtown, Rockefeller but open to other suggestions.  

Budget is around 250-300 for 4.5-5 star. 

Any suggestions for the city is always welcome. 

Thank you

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Happy to help and i'm local to the NYC area, so you're in good hands.:smile:

Regarding occupancy...

As you point out, with HOTWIRE you can search for up to quad occupancy and hotwire guarantees that the room will accommodate the number of guests you included in your search.

All Priceline reservations are for double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel (although in NYC, where rooms are often smaller than most other parts of the country and hotels have a high percentage of rooms with only one bed it's considered fairly risky to book for double occupancy and who up with four guests).  The one caveat to this would be PRICELINE EXPRESS if you can find a hotel that offers a BED CHOICE option and one of those options is designed to accommodate the number of guests in your group.  Note that technically your reservation is still only for double occupancy, although i don't know of anyone who has yet had an issue showing up with 3/4 guests when they booked a specific room type and that room is designed to accommodate the number of guests in the party. 

Personally i would be fine booking for double occupancy and showing up with 3/4 if the specific room type i booked was designed to accommodate that number of guests, but you have to do what is within your own (and your in-law's) comfort level.  If a concern, you could further minimize any potential issues (although as per above i think think the chances of a problem are minimal) by having two guests go to check-in while the other two grab coffee at a nearby Starbucks, bodega, etc.

While i don't think your budget is going to be an issue (i'm already seeing things like the Westin Times Square, Omin Berkshire, Warwick New York) i would ask if you really need a 4.5* property... or would you consider a 4 star that had good reviews?  As an example, i'm often an advocate of the Crowne Plaza HY36 Midtown Manhattan.... fairly new hotel, gets great reviews, and extremely centrally located; for your dates not much savings vs. some 4.5*, but at least knowing your thoughts about something similar to this, although only 4 star rated, would give us a sense of what to recommend.

Let us know if a well reviewed 4 star hotel is also on the table as a possibility, as well as your thoughts if booking PRICELINE EXPRESS (w/ Bed Choice) is an option, and we'll take it from there to suggest your best options.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm seeing on PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm the correct dates of travel are showing on the detail page after clicking the links below.)

4.5* Empire State Building Area (<<<----CLICK HERE to go direct to the listing) for $256
Pets Allowed
Restaurant
Free Internet available
Free Internet
>>>Best guess would be the Archer. There is a room w/2 doubles option for $276.

When searching on HOTWIRE for 4 adults, I'm seeing:

4.5* HOTWIRE Times Square for $222.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Blind Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  Best guess would be the Westin TS

4.5* HOTWIRE Rockefeller Center for $260.00
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
==>  Best guess would be the Warwick

4* HOTWIRE Madison Square Garden for $231.38
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==>  Best guess would be the Crowne Plaza HY36

4.5* HOTWIRE Rockefeller Center for $248.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Deaf Accessible
==>  Best guess would be the Omni Berkshire

Please let us know what you decide and if you have any questions before booking.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thank you Thereuare and AaronJB . 

We are open to 4* options and will take a look at the options above. another criteria that I forgot to mention was that we will be coming from Asia and this will be our first leg so will have bulky luggages with us so place to open suitcase will be ideal. 

I will take a look at the above options and report back after we book. 

For both HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS, the room rate does not include taxes/fees, but if you click through on the hotel offer to the checkout page you will see the total after taxes/fees.

Also note that when there is a resort fee this may also be shown by Priceline/Hotwire as an additional line item, but you won't be charged this now, it will be charged directly at the hotel at check-out.  It will look something like this:

Price per Night

Rooms

Nights

Room Subtotal (which here would be: cost of room per night X # of rooms X # of nights)

Taxes/Fees

Total Charges Today (sum of Room Subtotal + Taxes/Fees)

Additional Mandatory Fee

Total Cost (sum of Total Charges Today and Additional Mandatory Fee)

NOTE: you will be charge by PRICELINE / HOTWIRE the 'Total Charges Today' amount... the 'Total Cost' amount is shown for your own budgeting purposes so you know your 'all-in' number including any mandatory resort fees

Hope the above answers your question but if not just clarify any part you're still not sure about and we will explain further.

Also, if you let us know if PRICELINE EXPRESS (with Bed Choice) is an option or not i will suggest which may be your best options.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Some thoughts:

4.5* Times Square - Theatre District (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $206/nite with ($207 for 2 Double Beds + Sofabed):
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
Free Internet in public areas
==> New York Marriott Marquis... large, iconic, hotel right in the center of Times Square (not my favorite location but i understand how tourists would might want to stay here).  This hotel is rarely seen so i would act sooner rather than later if this one is of interest (would also be an easy hotel to only have two guests go up to the check-in desk while the other two 'wonder' around)

4.5* Empire State Building Area (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $256/nite with ($276/nite for 2 Doubles):
Pets Allowed
Restaurant
Free Internet available
Free Internet
==> Archer Hotel New York... admittedly i don't know much about the hotel itself, but it gets GREAT reviews and one of the top rated hotels in NYC; location is good with two different subway stations about 5 blocks away

4* HOTWIRE Madison Square Garden for $231.38 (search for 4adults)
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> Crowne Plaza NY36 Midtown Manhattan; already mentioned above that gets excellent reviews and great location.  Rooms are not that big, but typical for NYC.

4.5* HOTWIRE Rockefeller Center for $248.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Deaf Accessible
==> Omni Berkshire... solid hotel, i like location of others above a bit better, and this would be a fine choice if the you didn't have so many other awesome hotels to choose from

4.5* HOTWIRE Rockefeller Center for $260.00
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
==> Warwick New York... a bit 'historic' for my own tastes (i prefer newer and more modern hotels) but if this fits your style then it does have a great location and the hotel gets good reviews

Thoughts on the offers above?

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these, if within budget my own choice would probably be the Archer simply because it is currently the #15 ranked hotel in NYC... but if didn't want to spend that much i would go with the less expensive Crowne Plaza HY36.  Again, these are based upon my personal preferences and the types of hotels that i prefer, so if you feel that there is one above that would better meet your own style (and impress your in-laws:wink:) i think they are all excellent choices.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases. (or somebody else is making the purchase please ask them to stop by the board and use the links here to begin the purchase)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help (or any other questions regarding NYC).

Hi, we just booked Crowne Plaza but using an OTA as price ended up being cheaper and certainty of which hotel we will be getting. Thank you for both your help and this has been very helpful and we will keep this for future bookings. If there is a way to close/delete this thread please let me know.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]