Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* New York (Times Square) Holiday Inn New york City Times Square

odie11
By odie11,
in

We (2 adults) are planning a trip to New York City 6-8 Aug 2019 and trying to find the best available price for a nice hotel room. We are looking for a good/convenient location for visiting tourist sites (like 911 memorial, broadway, times square, etc), and good quality/reviews (e.g. 4+). Budget wise it would be nice to find something for about $160/night all-in if possible? We would appreciate any advice and/or suggestions , thanks in advance! Also, is this the appropriate place to ask for other NYC trip advice related to dining, attractions, and getting around?

Using our BiddingHelper.com tool you can look at both PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE results... filter to 4* and higher rated hotels and then sort by price; you'll see prices are a bit more than $160 all-in at the moment (with NYC hotel taxes of ~15%, and an increasing number of NYC hotels now charging resort fees, even the lowest price hotel of $135/nite quickly goes over your target budget).

Unfortunately lowering the star rating to 3*/3.5* doesn't show rates much cheaper... is your budget flexible closer to the $200-area or do you prefer to wait it out and see if there are lower prices in the weeks ahead? (our RateDrop service can monitor rates for your and alert you for when a 4 star hotel in your desired zones drops to your 'buy' price)

As well, if your dates are flexible, you may want to try coming over a weekend (especially if you include a Sunday nite) as you will usually see lower prices over the weekend with Sunday nites being least expensive of all as most tourists have already headed home and business travelers have not yet arrived... are your dates flexible at all?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

I'm local to the area so let us know what other NYC questions you have and we will try to answer them here as well.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the prompt response. Our budget is flexible, but unfortunately our dates are firm. I'll try the BiddingHelper.com tool as well as the RateDrop service you mentioned.  We can hold off a few more weeks (if need be) to see if rates drop. We're Canadian and I find between the USD/CAD exchange rate, hotel taxes, and resort fees the prices seem rather high. Anyway, we're still researching attractions and dining (so many decisions....), also wondering what would be the best option for getting from and to the EWR airport? 

In terms of HOTWIRE zones, I'd suggest Midtown East, Rockefeller Center, Madison Square Garden. Central Park South and Empire State Building are also worth considering. Times Square is certainly very good from a location standpoint, but unfortunately is also usually more expensive than other nearby zones.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

If budget is a primary concern, i think your best option at the moment would be:

4* HOTWIRE Rockefeller Center for $147.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> Club Quarters, opposite Rockefeller Center would be my best guess for this one

This puts you at about $210/nite all-in... you could save about $10/nite by staying Downtown, but i would sooner pay the extra $10 to be more centrally located (and this hotel does have an excellent location).  As a chain The Club Quarters is not the most luxurious, but they typically offer solid accommodations and this property tends to get good reviews.

Thoughts on this one?

As far as getting to NYC from EWR Airport... what time of day does your plane arrive?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

Did you already decide upon a hotel... if so, where and was it a PRICELINE or HOTWIRE offer?

Knowing the hotel location we can better determine where in the city you need to be in order to determine the best transportation option(s).

Planning to book our hotel today actually. Looking at Hotwire (using the link provided of course). Narrowed our search to the Manhattan areas AaronJB suggested above, 3.5+ stars, and 4+ user review scores. With all the resort fee/tax inconsistencies I find it tricky to compare pricing between search results...

Some of what I'm seeing today:

PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm the correct dates of travel are showing after clicking the link below.)

4* Empire State Building Area (<<<---CLICK HERE to go direct to the listing) for $125
Pets Allowed
Restaurant
Free Internet available
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>Best guess would be the Affinia Shelburne. Works out to about $205 per night after taxes/fees then using the current promo code in my signature.

HOTWIRE:

3.5* HOTWIRE Times Square for $146.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==>  Holiday Inn Times Square. About $190 per night after taxes/fees.

Would either of these possibilities be of interest?

Thank you for keeping us updated with what you decide and let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that you're happy with the results.

Given that you will be landing midweek at 7:30am, by the time you reach the Lincoln Tunnel it would likely be the heart of rush hour.  Assuming your luggage is manageable to carry/wheel, i would avoid taking a taxi/car and instead opt for the train to Penn Station.  Follow signs for the AirTrain and take the AirTrain to "Newark Airport Rail Station"... from there you will get on a NJ Transit Train to Penn Station.  The fare is $13 per person each way and the trip will take about 30 minutes (once you're on the NJ Transit Train... the AirTrain i can't say how long as it depends which terminal you start from, since it's a monorail system that goes in a circle around the airport, but probably anywhere from 5-15 minutes).  When you arrive at Penn Station look to for signs to exit on the Eighth Avenue side and then it will be a 5 block walk to your hotel.

If you have any questions regarding the above, or anything else related to NYC,  just let us know.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just going to piggy back this thread since my criteria are similar to OP. Right now, I booked August 4th to 7th and August 9th to 12th at Quality Suites in North Bergen, North Jersey for a total of $449 and $663 respectively. Naturally, we want to find somewhere closer to Manhattan for August 4th to 7th since we'll be staying in NYC for at least 5 days. We want to be free and not have to rely on the hotel shuttle to get around. We're driving to NYC from Toronto so I know parking is pricey at like $50/day but hey, gotta pay for convenience.

So if I'm to book for something via Priceline bidding? Or is Hotwire better? Right now Hotwire is running a deal for 4 star hotel in Rockefeller Center area for $136/night + $22 resort fee.4 star hotel in World Trade Center - Wall Street area is $129 + $22 resort fee. Times Square is $111 + $40 resort fee! But I hear Times Square is not a very good area to stay in because it's so busy. Or do you have some better recommendations?

Also how safe is it to park my car for a few days in a NYC parking garage by the hotel? Naturally the car will be emptied out but I don't want to come back with the car all banged up and scratched.

Thanks!

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, it's better to do Manhattan to do till August 8th or 9th...

geokilla,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start a NEW TOPIC for your own trip since your dates are not identical to the OP's, and by using your own thread we can edit the topic title to reflect whatever you end up winning, just as we have done with the OP's topic title for this thread.

In your new topic, in addition to the above, please also clarify:

2 hours ago, geokilla said:

I booked August 4th to 7th and August 9th to 12th

Where do you intend to stay for the nites of Aug 7th and Aug 8th... are you leaving the area for these nites?

2 hours ago, geokilla said:

Actually now that I think about it, it's better to do Manhattan to do till August 8th or 9th...

Better in what sense... fits better with your other plans, you're seeing lower rates, or something else that makes staying in Manhattan 'better'?

Let us know the information above (in a NEW TOPIC) and we wil continue to assist you there.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]