Priceline Hotel: Need help for San Jose downtown June 1-8

macxspeed
By macxspeed,
in

I was hoping to stay near the San Jose Convention Center in downtown for June 1 - 8, 2019. Apple is having their developer conference. 

I was hoping to get something in the 200 USD range for 3.5*-4* stars. I know that might seem impossible due to the demand that week. 

Would be willing to take the rail from 10-15 min away if that works. 

My question is should I book now or wait until I land on the 1st of June and then work on booking a hotel, there might be people double booking and some reservations might free up on Saturday June 1st, 2019.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Welcome to BetterBidding!

13 minutes ago, macxspeed said:

should I book now or wait until I land on the 1st of June and then work on booking a hotel, there might be people double booking and some reservations might free up on Saturday June 1st, 2019.

It's possible that some rooms open up on the 1st... but what if they don't; i suspect that you will need to stay pretty far outside of the city.  As well, hotels are well aware of the high demand caused by this event, if a hotel is sold-out and then they get a handful of rooms available on account of a cancellation, they're not likely going to offer it at a fire sale price, it would likely be priced very high in order to get the most amount of money as possible from somebody who didn't plan ahead and has to have a room at 'any price' (and may have a company paying for it and therefore the guest could be price insensitive)

If you are willing to roll the dice i would book something that is fully refundable that you could live with and monitor rates up until your cancellation deadline (usually a few days prior to arrival).... i would definitely not wait until the day you land.

Unfortunately PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE do not show any availability in the 'Downtown' area (an indication of just how high demand is for these dates).

Would splitting your stay between two different hotels be an option?  Just how far outside of Downtown would you be willing to stay?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the advice. I would then be looking to book a hotel before I leave but I can still wait until the week of the flight. Last year I booked the hotel for the June 2018 conference in Feb 2018 and got the Fairmont San Jose at 228 USD/night, total was 1825 USD.

What happened last year is another conference(3-4 major conferences in downtown San Jose that week) had extra rooms for 200 a night at the AC Marriott and they gave them up at cost. I think it's safer to book now before I go based off the demand as you said. 

I am hoping to get 15 min on a train that has a direct path to the conference center. 5 min walk before and after is not a big deal.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards

We have two tools/sites that may help you in this pursuit:

RefundableRates.com

Will let you compare rates on a refundable basis.  All of the rates shown will have liberal refund policies, most within a few days of arrival, so it allows you to compare rates based upon the specific needs (refundability) you have for this reservation.  A second advantage of this interface is that it presents all of the hotels on a map, so you can drag the map along the train/lightrail line and then zoom in to see which hotels are close to different stations.

MAPS and HOTELS.com

The site above will probably be more useful at this point in time, but this site is worth a quick look as well just in case there is a highly discounted rate available that would be worth locking in now.  Same interface so you can also start at the location of the event and then follow along mass transit routes to see what has an easy commute from each hotel.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Any questions let us know and keep us updated on your progress or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]