Hotwire Hotel: Two nights in NYC area 10/23-10/25

zoeonly
By zoeonly,
in

This is a follow up post to:

4.5* New York (Madison Square Garden - Convention Area) Crowne Plaza Hy36 Midtown Manhattan

TL/DR: Flying into LGA at 10pm Tuesday and need a last minute strategy for two nights until HY36 reservation.  

• Would like to be under $300 and 3.5* 
  • Both nights will be late, exhausting ones so needs to be easy to get to getting LGA (Tuesday night) and MSG (Wednesday night)
  • Am open to staying and exploring a totally different area of the city from the TS/HK area I'm familiar with if it's close to a subway station and less expensive than the TS/HK area.
  • Need advice from those of you that really know the city!

Some thoughts / suggestions:

4* Long Island City (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $238/nite with:
Business Center
Restaurant
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> best guess is the Z NYC Hotel.  I don't love this part of the city (it's still a bit industrial) but it is going thru a HUGE transformation with lots of hotels, condos, and businesses opening in the area.  Short commute (taxi/uber) from LGA and fairly easy to get to MSG via subway.

4* HOTWIRE World Trade Center - Wall Street for $338.00
Free Internet
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
==> likely the World Center Hotel is nothing fancy but gets decent reviews, not a bad taxi ride from LGA and easy commute to MSG.  This area just 'feels' nicer than Long Island City as Long Island City is still a little 'rough around the edges' (from an industrial point of view), but not sure if it's worth the $100/nite difference.

3.5* HOTWIRE Times Square for $344.00
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Kitchenette
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==> The Belvedere Hotel is my guess here (which if i recall correctly from yesterday's post you have stayed at previously and liked it here)

4.5* HOTWIRE Madison Square Garden for $365.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==> starting to get pricey but from the New York City Hotwire Hotel List this matches previous reports for the Tryp By Wyndham Times Square South, but i mention since this is just down the block from MSG and would also be an easy 'swap' from here to the Crowne Plaza at the end of this leg of your stay (easily walk-able) 

Any of the above work well for your plans?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the quick response! The Belvedere would be my failsafe. Long Island City doesn't appeal. I was thinking maybe a couple of days in Brooklyn or something like that, but rates there are just as high, if not higher. 

Re: The Tryp vs The Belvedere. With The Belvedere's resort fee of $23ish it's pretty much dead even financially. I'm going to do a little more poking around and will make a decision tonight and post the results. Thanks for your help!!

Ok, was just getting ready to book the 3.5 Times Square on Hotwire for $344 and spotted a 3.5 on Priceline for $312. No amenities listed but it says it's rated 8/10 and is 50% or more off and suggests the Element NY TS West, the Hilton Garden Inn TS Central, Staybridge Suits TS, or Ac hotel by Marriott TS. I checked the list but didn't see anything with no amenities listed. Thoughts on this property?

Unfortunately, when I try to click on this listing I'm getting an error that it's no longer available and don;'t have a guess as to hotel ID. Are you still able to go through check-out? If so, this is certainly a good rate for these dates for a 3.5* with 8+ user rating.

Otherwise, the Tryp would be a better option IMO than The Belvedere, given that it's a newer property and basically about a block away from the Crowne Plaza.

Let us know what you decide and if we can be of any further assistance.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

For this one from HOTWIRE:

3.5* HOTWIRE Times Square for $344.00
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Kitchenette
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==> using our BiddingHelper.com tool and the EASY VIEW tab, clicking the 'What Hotel Is This??' button next to this listing gives a guess of the Belvedere

Just like AaronJB, i see the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal in the Times Square zone but when i click on it i get a message that it is no longer available (actually states something like 'Sorry you're having trouble with our site' but that is their new error message when the hotel is no longer available)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Nope, not able to get through checkout. It takes me to Priceline's page, which says I just missed it and proceeds to display a listing for a 3.5* TS property at $308 with no amenities. Clicking it gives a similar "We're sorry. This property is no longer available." message. Not sure what's going on but it appears they're both ghost listings.

I ended up using a Priceline Express Bid to get the other two nights at the Crown Plaza HY36 (same property I won for Thursday-Sun in the previous thread) for $457.00/night so that we're in the same place the whole stay. Unfortunately, I wish I hadn't. Loud a/c, we look out on a roof with spotlights on it so the curtains have to stay closed, and it's a two double bed room. The hotel itself is nothing special. I'm not sure what the raves were about, but I'm hoping maybe it looks better in the morning.

Update: The pillowcases were dirty (makeup stains and gray streaks on 3 of them) and the sliding bathroom door falls open about 4 inches (there's no lock or latch). Guy that came to change the pillows out says they have this problem "all the time"  when they come back from the laundry and the sheets are "probably clean." I definitely don't recommend this property and really wonder how the reviews have been so high.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]