Priceline Hotel: Times Square New York Hotels 3.5*+

Dougy333
By Dougy333,
in

I'm looking to book a hotel near to Times Square and the theatre district between 10 November 2018 and 17 November 2018. Ideally I'd get a place with 3.5* or higher and a total cost of no more than $1,250 USD. 

So, in brief:

Dates: 10 November 2018 to 17 November 2018  9November 2018 to 16 November 2018

Rating: 3.5* +

Area: Times Square

Price: No more than $1,250 USD total (inclusive of all fees).

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Your budget is on the low side on an all-in basis for NYC this time of year.

Close to what you're asking for i'm seeing:

3* Times Square - Theatre District (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $129/nite with:
Business Center
Restaurant
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> best guess here would be the Mayfair New York

3.5* Times Square - Theatre District (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $148/nite with:
Fitness Center
Business Center
Restaurant
==> The Gallivant Times Square but this comes out a bit over your budget after fees/taxes and the hotel's mandatory resort fee

A few general comments:

I would suggest looking beyond only the Times Square zone.  I know every tourist starts their search wanting to stay directly in Times Square, but you will spend far less time here then you think.  However, i did take a quick look at rates in other areas and your budget is still limiting for something at the 3.5* or better.

Do either of the properties above work for your needs this trip?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed (or how it goes if you take either of the offers above) and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi @thereuare

Thanks so much for your help! 

I thought my budget may be on the low-ish side - what do you think a more realistic all-in price is to get somewhere in the 4* region for those dates?

The above two options look good to me - though I've heard better reviews about The Gallivant than Mayfair. 

I'm open to other areas - I know one of my friends recently stayed at the Skyline in Hells Kitchen and said that was a good location. Open to suggestions!

Thanks again!

If the main concern is the 4 star rating (although above you were also willing to accept 3.5* and above) you could get the following which is close to the same price as the previous ones above:

4* Empire State Building Area (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $134/nite with:
Fitness Center
Business Center
Restaurant
==> LIFE Hotel, NoMad is my best guess for this property, with the resort fee this comes to $1353... although this lowers to $1306 when using the board's Priceline Coupon.  This is

This 4 star hotel from HOTWIRE:

4* HOTWIRE Times Square for $147.99
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
==> best guess here would be the YOTEL New York at Times Square, but note there is also a $34/nite resort fee (which is becoming more and more common in NYC)

Plenty of other very nice options if going even higher in price, but not sure just how much you're willing to stretch your budget.

Do either of the above work for your plans?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed (or how it goes if you take either of the ones above) and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hey @thereuare 

Thanks so much for your help despite my vague ideas of what I want.

I've just booked flights now and will actually be in NYC from 9 November to 17 November now. 

Both the above look good, though prefer the Empire State Building option over Times Square. 

What would you suggest for 9 Nov - 17 Nov for similar budget per night? Interested to hear your suggestions 😀

Thanks!

Unfortunately, at the moment there is very little within your budget (and nothing that really excites me) when searching for 11/9-11/17... and the 4 star Empire State Building hotel for $134/nite is no longer available.

Using our sister site RefundableRates.com i would suggest booking:

Washignotn Jefferson Hotel at Times Square for $198/nite which admittedly i'm not that familiar with but the location and reviews appear to be good... the intention would not be to keep this reservation, but book the fully refundable rate so that you at least lock something in that you could live with should rates only go higher from here.  Then keep an eye on PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE for something better to come along.

To assist with tracking rates (so that you don't need to go to search daily to see if anything better has come along) you can use our RateDrop service (it's free) and set alerts for the following areas:

Central Park South

Chelsea

Empire State Building

Grand Central Terminal

Madison Square Garden

Midtown East

Rockefeller Center

Times Square

... filter the RateDrop results to only show 4 star hotels and click a SET ALERT button next to 4* hotels in each of the zones above, setting the alert to (let's say) $175 (although you will need to set Madison Square Garden and Rock Center at high prices since there are currently $165/ntie and $170/nite hotels in each of those zones, although neither are great properties, imo, so if you were to set these alerts at $175 you would receive an alert later today since the current price is below the $175/nite you set... OR you could set these at $175 to see how the service works, since once it detects the lower price it will send you an email and automatically change the alert price to the new lower price (hope that makes sense))

You could then do the same for similar zones from HOTWIRE (and/or for 3.5* hotel as well, but obviously those should use a slightly price... but you can use a different alert price for each star rating/zone combination, which should be just below the current price for that star rating/zone combination).

Let us know your thoughts (or questions) on the plan above and we'll take it from there.

Let us know if any alerts come and/or feel free to bump this thread every 2 weeks or so (or weekly as we get closer to your check-in date) to see if anything new has surfaced.

Where and how much is your backup reservation?

As there are a few different price ranges discussed above, please remind me/confirm what is the maximum budget we are targeting?

Will do @thereuare!

My backup reservation is at the Mayfair which I know doesn't have the best reviews but looks like a good location and was $1,350 USD for 9 Nov to 16 Nov. 

Price: My upper limit is 200 USD/night all in (do you think that's achievable?). 

Star Rating: Not too fussed, but ideally 3.5*+ - just don't want a dodgy hostel type 'hotel'!

Areas: Agree with you about not needing to be right in Times Square. At the moment I'm thinking of anywhere that fits the budget in: Times Square; Midtown West;  Empire State Building; Rockefeller Centre; Chelsea; Central Park South and Midtown East.

If that Empire State Building 4* hotel reappears for 134/nite again, I think I'll go for that one!

Fingers crossed now. 

If you would be happy with the Mayfair it can be booked for about $250 less than your back-up reservation:

3* Times Square - Theatre District (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $130/nite with:
Business Center
Restaurant
==> Mayfair New York is my best guess for this one

It would be appreciated if you used the requested sites/links on the board as it helps us keep this site running as a free resource for everyone.

If you were to move forward bidding on PRICELINE, what would be your maximum bid price?

Thanks @thereuare!

Not sure I want to commit to Mayfair just yet, but if I do I will definitely be using the link through the board. 

I'd probably try focus on the 140/150s per night with bidding for a 4* to see if I could get something similar to the Empire State Building one you found? Just want a bit more leeway on bidding in case I win a hotel that has an additional resort fee. I'd also be a bit concerned bidding on the lower star ratings that I'll end up with somewhere that is cheap for a reason haha! 

Do you think that's a reasonable bidding price or should I be looking a bit higher? 

Quite interested to see if this one drops that I found through BiddingHelper: 

3* Hotel in Empire State Building - Bryant Park area HOTWIRE 

Free breakfast

Free Internet
Business center

Fitness center

Smoke-free rooms

For $199 USD/night. Looks like it may be Hotel Central Fifth Avenue which I'd be very happy with. All in price though is bit over my budget at $1,811 USD. 

I'm seeing on HOTWIRE:

3* HOTWIRE Empire State Building - Bryant Park for $184.00
Complimentary Breakfast
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==>  Best guess would be the Best Western Premier Herald Square.

Would this option be of interest? 

I'm seeing the potential Yotel option mentioned above for slightly cheaper this morning:

4* HOTWIRE Times Square for $137.00
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Blind Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==>  Best guess would be the Yotel

Unfortunately, the potential Life Hotel Nomad listing on PRICELINE EXPRESS appears to be no longer available.

Thank you for keeping us updated on what you decide.

We can't link directly to HOTWIRE offers... use our BiddingHelper.com tool and the EASY VEW tab to match the amenities to what is listed above (you need to use BiddingHelper.com EASY VIEW tab in order to see the complete amenity set).

Would you prefer one of the HOTWIRE offers above where you have an educated guess of what you may likely receive or Bidding on Priceline?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Thanks for clarifying that @thereuare. Unfortunately both of those come in a bit high once the resort fee is added 😞

I'd be tempted to try Priceline Bidding in the Empire State Building and Hell's Kitchen areas (as there seems to be better reviewed hotels than Times Square) if you think it's worth a shot? 

What would be your suggested bidding technique? 

For Hell's Kitchen and Empire State Building what star rating would you be bidding and what would you maximum bid be?

My suspicion is that the amount you're looking to bid is not going to be enough as you will be leaving too much of a 'cushion' to account for the unknown resort fee.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]