Priceline Hotel: 3* Raleigh - Durham (Cary North) Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham- Raleigh

r3131
By r3131,
in

A couple strong warnings when bidding in Chapel Hill zone.

When you bid in the Chapel Hill zone there is a small message that appears at the top of the page stating

"Please note: Chapel Hill, North Carolina is located within the Raleigh - Durham, NC region and may or may not be in one of the areas listed below".   The message is very easy to miss.

I’ve never seen this type message before when bidding over many years.  I made the huge mistake of bidding in the Chapel Hill zone and got a hotel that is 23 miles away in an entirely different zone.  That makes absolutely NO sense.  Why would I bid in a particular zone if PL just randomly gives you a room in another zone. 

Also, there is an Aloft Hotel (3 Star) in Chapel Hill zone.  You may want avoid this place.  It’s cozily nestled between an active fire station on one side and a very noisy 7 lane active highway in front.  For me sleep was difficult to come by.  Will never even think about a 3 Star property in Chapel Hill as long as this hotel is in the zone.  In addition, $10 to park. 

2 hours ago, r3131 said:

I’ve never seen this type message before when bidding over many years.

It's always been there and is basically meaningless... all it is indicating is that the location entered in the text box (Chapel Hill) is located within the larger 'Raleigh - Durham' region.  It's as if you had searched for 'Times Square' and PRICELINE indicated that 'Times Square is located in the Manhattan region' or that 'Times Square is located in the New York City region'.

2 hours ago, r3131 said:

I made the huge mistake of bidding in the Chapel Hill zone and got a hotel that is 23 miles away in an entirely different zone.

Could you please share the details of what you actually won with the board.  Not only would this information be more helpful to other users, but it will give us a better sense of what may have gone wrong or if perhaps PRICELINE made a mistake classifying a hotel in the wrong zone... but without the specific name of the hotel you received (and ideally the address too) we are unable to shed any light on the situation.

Exactly which zone(s) did you include in your bidding and what is the hotel name and address that you received?  What was the winning bid amount and dates of your stay?

We will then be in a better position to comment on the situation above.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

PS- please also follow-up your previous Birmingham Hotwire downtown hotel thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip.  Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the thorough explanation!  I've been bidding for several year and I've never seen a message like that.  Lesson learned. 

I think with your help, I've determined that I may/probably added in an incorrect rebid zone.  Trying to give PL the benefit of the doubt here.  I was bidding for a room while riding in a car and had spotty internet/cell service.  My initial bid was obviously for a 3 star hotel in Chapel Hill...then I threw in some free rebid zones....and must have inadvertent select Cary North. 

The message definitely threw me when I won that hotel....my initial thought was that PL had thrown me a curve ball.

The hotel I "won" was this one.  I never actually checked-in since it was 25 miles away from Chapel Hill.

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Raleigh    Cary North

My dates where Aug 18 - Aug 21....and the winning bid was $60. 

I still stand my review on the Aloft.  Decent hotel absolutely terrible location.  

Sorry for the confusion and really appreciate BB and all your help. 

Thanks again

Thanks for the follow-up and helping us add this hotel to the Priceline Hotel List.

Sorry this one didn't work out for you, but i imagine that even with this 'loss' you're still way ahead of the game with PRICELINE / HOTWIRE savings.

Please click the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Hope your future hotel purchases go more smoothly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]