Hotwire Hotel: 5* Maui (Wailea - Makena) Hotel Wailea, Relais and Chateaux

ShinyO
By ShinyO,
in

This is my first time at betterbidding and also my first trip to Hawaii. 

I was confused a bit about which hotels are in which zones on Priceline in Maui.

I was looking to bid on a 5-star hotel in Wailea-Makena (probably the Four Seasons or Hotel Wailea - but I'm guessing more likely Hotel Wailea since its cheaper). No other zones in Maui have 5* on Priceline. So I thought I was pretty safe to try re-bidding by adding zones. 

However I noticed the following disclaimer at the top of the Name Your Own Bid page for Maui: "Please note: Kaanapali, Hawaii is located within the Maui Island, HI region and may or may not be in one of the areas listed below." 

I'm a bit confused because a) There are separate zones listed for North- Kaanapali and South-Kaanapali. So how is it that Kaanapali itself "may or may not be in one of the areas listed below"? And is there a chance that some Kaanapali hotels end up in the Wailea zone?

I ask because there is also the Ritz-Carlton, which is in Kaanapali and is a 5*. But we're trying to avoid that one due to its specific location. It's the cheapest of the 5* hotels listed on Priceline.

Since Wailea is the only area on the Name Your Own Price page that actually lists a 5* hotel in Hawaii (no Kaanapali zone lists any 5* despite the presence of the Ritz) is there a risk that somehow if I bid on a 5* hotel in Wailea that I'd actually get the Ritz-Carlton, even though it's not in the Wailea area?

Alternatively, if I bid only on Wailea and then have to add one or more of the Kaanapali zones as part of the rebidding process, is there a risk that I could get Ritz-Carlton (even though there are no 5* hotels in Kaanapali listed on the Name Your own Price page?)

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

1 hour ago, ShinyO said:

I'm a bit confused because a) There are separate zones listed for North- Kaanapali and South-Kaanapali. So how is it that Kaanapali itself "may or may not be in one of the areas listed below"?

Not an issue... just a standard disclaimer; nothing to really be concerned with here.

1 hour ago, ShinyO said:

And is there a chance that some Kaanapali hotels end up in the Wailea zone?

No, these two zones are too far apart for a Kaanapali hotel to end up in the Wailea zone... but ultimately you need to look at the zone boundaries as depicted on PRICELINE's map.  The hotel you win can be anywhere within the shaded boundaries of the zone on the map.

1 hour ago, ShinyO said:

I ask because there is also the Ritz-Carlton, which is in Kaanapali and is a 5*

Assuming you're referring to The Ritz-Carlton Kapalua  this property is indeed in North Ka'anapali - Lahaina, but not all hotels offered thru the 'retail' side of PRICELINE also participate in the NYOP bidding service.  However, the star rating you select when bidding on Priceline is the minimum that you're willing to accept, so in the very rare event that you were to win the 5 star Ritz Carlton      with your 4.5 star bid, you would not really have much recourse.

1 hour ago, ShinyO said:

if I bid on a 5* hotel in Wailea that I'd actually get the Ritz-Carlton, even though it's not in the Wailea area?

Nope, not a risk if you have only zone selected is Wailiea-Makena and you're bidding 5 stars.  As per above, it comes down to the zone boundaries as they appear on PRICELINE's map.

1 hour ago, ShinyO said:

if I bid only on Wailea and then have to add one or more of the Kaanapali zones as part of the rebidding process, is there a risk that I could get Ritz-Carlton (even though there are no 5* hotels in Kaanapali listed on the Name Your own Price page?)

Possible, yes... but i would also consider it to be extremely unlikely.  However, if this is a concern of yours then simply don't use this zone as a re-bid zone.

However, there may be better options.  More specifically to your trip... what are your dates of travel and what is your expected maximum bid per nite?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

PS- as PRICELINE continues to move/hide the NYOP bidding page we have set up this site BiddingForHotelRooms.com for easy access to the PL Bidding page

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for all the advice! The disclaimer really threw me for a loop!

My dates are Nov 10-16. I was looking at the rack rate for booking directly with Hotel Wailea (non-refundable advanced purchase) in Wailea and it's $446 before taxes and fees. Would be nice to get a 5* hotel like that for sub-$400 (which probably excludes the Four Seasons in Wailea.) I was going to aim for $350 as a min and probably ~$385 as a max because I believe the Hotel Wailea is probably the 5* hotel listed for $400/night on Hotwire for those dates. 

I was also looking at something cheaper, a 4* hotel in South Kaanapali-Lahaina, such as the Sheraton or the Westin. But I'm a bit leery because I read that the Westin is under construction this year and it seems most likely to be the hotel I'd get since it's the cheapest of the 4* on offer (at least on Hotwire, I'm not sure about priceline. I'm pretty sure the Westin is the 4* hotel listed in the Hotwire deal for $205/night.) 

2 hours ago, ShinyO said:

I'm pretty sure the Westin is the 4* hotel listed in the Hotwire deal for $205/night

I'm not so certain, my best guess/comments are below...

4* HOTWIRE Ka'anapali for $205.00
Free Parking
Free Internet
Near Beach
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Kitchenette
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> Honua Kai Resort and Spa 

4* HOTWIRE Ka'anapali for $235.00
Resort
Pet Friendly
Beachfront
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Childrens Activities
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
==> Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa

4* HOTWIRE Ka'anapali for $299.00
Free Internet
Resort
Pet Friendly
Beachfront
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Tennis
Spa
Childrens Activities
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

4* HOTWIRE Ka'anapali for $314.00
Free Internet
Condo
Resort
Beachfront
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Tennis
Kitchenette
Spa
Childrens Activities
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Would you have an interest in any of the above at the prices indicated.  If not and you'd still like to try PRICELINE bidding, let us know how many of your FIVE re-bid zones you're comfortable using and your maximum bid (is it still $350/nite??) and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed, or how it goes if you take one of the offers above, and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

... or if you're still considering Wailea - Makena how about:

4.5* Wailea - Makena (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $380/nite with:
Pets Allowed
Fitness Center
Business Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
==> Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort - A Concept by Hyatt

4.5* HOTWIRE Wailea - Makena for $315.00
Resort
Beachfront
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Childrens Activities
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort (although i think there are better offers above)

5* HOTWIRE Wailea - Makena for $379.00
Free Parking
Free Internet
Suite
Boutique
Near Beach
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Kitchenette
Spa
==> Hotel Wailea, Relais and Chateaux- Adults Only

5* HOTWIRE Wailea - Makena for $404.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Tennis
Spa
Childrens Activities
==> Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea 

The Hotel Wailea for $379 sounds pretty good from Hotwire actually. 

If I were to *try* for that same hotel on Priceline do you think there is a chance of bidding below $379 (say in the $350 range) to get it? Since the Hotel Wailea is cheaper than the Four Seasons and there are only the two 5* on Priceline in Wailea, I'm guessing whatever successful bid would ultimately end up being the Hotel Wailea.  

I guess I can just try to bid and see what happens... 

Thanks again!

Yes, there is a chance that you can win it cheaper by name your own price on Priceline but if you were to save $10-$15 and win a different hotel would you still be happy with the outcome?  Also, while the Hotel Wailea is cheaper than the Four Seasons, it's not that much cheaper (based upon the HOTWIRE hot rate)... if the price difference was $5 would you feel that the Hotel Wailea was much more likely (probably not, more like a 50/50)?  What if the  price difference was $200... probably make the Hotel Wailea much more likely; so with just a $25 price difference i think it becomes more like a 60/40 likelihood than a 90/10 likelihood.

Lastly, take the following scenario:

Hotel A: regular retail price $600/nite

Hotel B: regular retail price $450/nite

==> Hotel A is fairly empty (they just have a high regular rate all the time) and Hotel B is somewhat busy... so maybe Hotel A is willing to discount 50% while Hotel B is only willing to discount 20%... which would make Hotel A $300 and Hotel B $360 giving you an outcome you didn't expect when looking at the regular retail rates.

There are a whole host of other issues when trying to figure out what you will win by expecting the hotel with the lowest price but i think the above provides enough of a basis to show that you really need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you bid... otherwise PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE are the better options if you're hoping to target a specific property.

So with all of the above in mind, if you would like to move forward bidding for a 5* hotel in the Wailea-Makena zone let us know how many of your 5 re-bid zones you're willing to use (are you comfortable using the North Ka'anapali-Lahaina zone or not) as well as your maximum bid and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow... or take one of HOTWIRE offers above and let us know how it goes.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. 

I don't think I'd be devastated if I ended up getting the Four Seasons for a really decent discount on a Priceline 😄But all things considered I'd probably prefer the Hotel Wailea even if the absolute discount percentage is not as great, so yeah maybe $25/night isn't worth it.

I would love a bidding strategy for Priceline for a 5* in the Wailea-Makena zone. I think I would not be comfortable with North Ka'anapali-Lahaina because of the Ritz-Carlton possibility (even tho that zone shows no 5* hotels available for NYOP bidding), But I would be comfortable with the other zones. 

Thanks again. I'm going to aim to pull the trigger on this one today so I will post an update with my results, whether it ends up being Priceline or Hotwire.

So if you want to try bidding on PRICELINE (use our BiddingForHotelRooms.com for easy access to the bidding page) and want to use 4 of your re-bid zones, you can try as follows:

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1 is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 5* Wailea - Makena

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $250, if rejected close browser and once again use BiddingForHotelRooms.com to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 5* Wailea - Makena and re-bid zone3

Bid $275, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $300, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $315, if rejected close browser and once again use BiddingForHotelRooms.com to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 5* Wailea - Makena and re-bid zone4

Bid $325, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $330, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $335, if rejected close browser and once again use BiddingForHotelRooms.com to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 5* Wailea - Makena and re-bid zone3 and re-bid zone4

Bid $340, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $345, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $350

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Correct, and all of the bids above can be made in the same bidding session (none will be rejected as a duplicate).

This gives you the opportunity to pick any low hanging fruit should it be available (a low price mistake entered into the system by the hotel) as well as work your way up systematically to a more reasonable/realistic bid price.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Good luck!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear it all went as you had hoped/expected and that you're pleased with the ultimate result.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and helping us confirm the new amenity set for this hotel in the Maui Hotwire Hotel List.

Please click the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]