Hotwire Hotel: 5* New York City (World Trade Center - Wall Street) Conrad New York

Leylas_Mom
By Leylas_Mom,
in

Dears from Better Bidding,

First of all, you really do I great work here and I want to congratulate you for your tips. They are really wonderful!!

I searched for hours in this forum for information for a good deal in New York but I decided to ask for help.

My husband, my 2 years old daughter and I are planning to travel to NYC, from 09/13 to 09/18 - 5 nights. We are coming from Europe and we will arrive at JFK.

Our budget is max 1000 USD including taxes and fees.

Regarding the hotel we want something clean, modern and with a good location especially because we travel with a little child.

4 star would be great but maybe you know a good and clean 3 or 3,5 star hotel. 

It would be wonderful if we could stay next to Times Square and/or Central Park. The prices for express deals @priceline and hotwire are higher than our budget allows so I would als try to bid with my own price. Do you think that I would have a chance to find something good by bidding and can I bid for priceline hotels when I travel with a child?

How should be my strategy?

I would be very happy to get some advice from you. Just let me know if you need more information

Regards.

Welcome to BetterBidding! (and thank you for the compliments on the site :wub: )

Few issues to discuss in order to get going...

Unless otherwise indicated all PRICELINE bidding reservations are for double occupancy.  Usually this is not an issue with a 2 year old being the third guest, but it NYC is can be, given how hotels have a high percentage of rooms with only one bed and often have little to no room for a rollaway (some hotels don't even have them for lack of storage space).  So there would be some risk involved if bidding on PRICELINE... a much smaller risk than if your child was 15 years old, as usually you can can make some sort of makeshift bed for a 2 year old if absolutely necessary and no other options, but still a risk you need to be willing to accept.  A PRICELINE EXPRESS offer where a 'bed choice' is shown and where that bed choice indicates that it would accommodate triple occupancy would be better... or a similar 'bed choice' HOTWIRE offer (or using HOTWIRE searching for 2adults/1child). 

However, as you indicate neither PRICELINE or HOTWIRE shows very much within your budget.  So i think your current options come down to:

1) increase your budget

2) stay outside the city and commute in each day (some locations are not very far at all... just 1-2 train stops after leaving Manhattan)

3) if your plan arrives late at nite and/or departs early in the morning, spend the first or last nite near the airport to hopefully save some money on those nites and increase your budget for the other nites

4) split your stay between staying a few days outside of the city and commuting in and take the savings to apply towards a few nites in Manhattan

Just to give you a quick sense of something that caught my idea (which may sway you towards splitting the stay) i saw a 5* hotel for 9/15-9/18 for $188/nite (also available 9/14-9/18)... it's Downtown which is not the most centrally located place in Manhattan, but it's certainly do-able, as well as a nice park near the hotel for your 2 year old to play, so something like this comes into play if you can find something reasonable (by stay near the airport, outside of the city, or something less desirable) just for 9/13.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello,

thank you very much for your quick answer. 

I will start from your first issue you mentioned:

- Pricline bidding: It would not be a problem for us to sleep in one bed with our little girl as long as  they do accept a child without any problem.

About the options:

1= Probably I would increase the budget a little but not too much.

2= which area do you think about and which hotel?. I would be ok if we do not spend too much time with driving around than enjoying the city.

3= Our plane would arrive at 5 pm. Depart is no problem as we are planing to travel by car to philadelphia.

4= I just checked the flights and I could also take the flight on the 14th if this would help me to get a good hotel. I just waited to book the flight because of the prices for the hotels but I need to decide as the tickets are getting more expensive. 

It should just be 5 nights. 

Let me know about your thoughts and what do you recommend :). Sorry for my english, I hope you understand what I mean

Thank you very much. 

28 minutes ago, Leylas_Mom said:

I could also take the flight on the 14th

I assume then that you would extend the check-out, making your trip 9/14-9/19?

If so the best deal by far, imo, would be:

5* HOTWIRE World Trade Center - Wall Street for $188.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Childrens Activities
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==> this matches previous reports for the Conrad New York which is currently the #26 rated hotels in NYC.  This hotel used to be an Embassy Suites (a long time ago, it is now up to the 5 standards of the Conrad brand) so the rooms are oversized given it was built as an Embassy Suites in mind.  As well, you can search HOTWIRE for 2adults/1child so you are guaranteed accommodations for your whole family (again, shouldn't be an issue given the rooms were built as suites).  Another perk is, as briefly mentioned in my previous post, there is a large park right next to the hotel (and along the Hudson River) and i'm sure things for your daughter to explore.  The downside is that it is not the most centrally located being about a 15 minute subway ride to midtown... but the price (not much else is in this price range no matter what the star rating or location), the 5* rating, and it being one of the top rated hotels in NYC is worth the trade-off of the downtown location, imo.

Using our BiddingHelper.com tool and looking in both the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW and PRICELINE EXPRESS tabs i filters to hotels that were 3* and higher and sorted by price... this 5 star property is the least expensive that is located inside of Manhattan and rated 3 stars or better.

Your thoughts?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

If you take the one above let us know how it goes or let us know how you'd like to proceed and we will take the next step.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi, 

the hotel you mentioned sounds really good but I refined our travel plans and I decided to stay only 4 nights in NYC so I would prefer a hotel close to time square and/ or central park area. But I'm still keeping this hotel in mind. 

Our travel dates are 09/14/18- 09/18/18 only 4 nights. 

Hotwire has a deal for 4-* hotel at time square for $196. Do you have an idea which hotel this is?

FULL AMENITIES: Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa, Childrens Activities, Pet Friendly

I'm seeing on HOTWIRE:

4* HOTWIRE Times Square for $190.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
Childrens Activities
==>  Unfortunately, not certain.

Also seeing:

4* HOTWIRE Times Square for $202.04
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Hi-Speed Internet
Room Accessible
==>  Yotel would be my guess

4* HOTWIRE Midtown East for $210.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> Best guess would be the Even Hotel MTE

4.5* HOTWIRE Times Square for $229.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Blind Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  Best guess would be the Westin TS

4.5* HOTWIRE Midtown East for $225.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Kitchenette
Spa
==>  Best guess would be the Benjamin

3.5* HOTWIRE Times Square for $202.06
Free Internet
Boutique
Indoor Pool
Smoke Free
Pool
Hi-Speed Internet
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  Room Mate Grace would be my best guess.

Would any of these possibilities be of interest?

Let us know what you decide or if you have any questions before booking.

14 hours ago, AaronJB said:

4* HOTWIRE Times Square for $190.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
Childrens Activities
==>  Unfortunately, not certain.

I believe this is likely the Sheraton Times Square.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Hello, 

sorry for my late feedback...I decided  very late to take the 5* Conrad after checking the area (sightseeing, metro etc.) and now the price increased and little angy about me because I can not book it for this price anymore.

Not sure what to do... but a lot of thanks for checking the hotels for me.

You're welcome.:smile:

I'm not surprised it's no longer offered as it was a very nice deal for that property.  It is still available for $218/nite, which is still a very nice deal considering this hotel is currently selling for $365 per nite for your dates, so still may be up for consideration if you have your heart set on this property after learning more about it:

5* HOTWIRE World Trade Center - Wall Street for $219.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Childrens Activities
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower

Some other options:

3.5* HOTWIRE Times Square for $179.00 (searching 2adults/1child)
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> best guess here would be the Holiday Inn New York City - Times Square

There is also this offer from PRICELINE EXPRESS:

4* Empire State Building Area (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $188/nite with:
Fitness Center
Business Center
Restaurant
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> best guess here would be the Shelburne Hotel and Suites by Affinia but note that there might be an additional $40/nite resort fee at this property.  PRICELINE EXPRESS is not showing it for this listing, but some (most?? all??) of the rooms here do have a resort fee.  NOTE that technically PRICELINE reservations are for double occupancy, but this property has oversized rooms (it used to be an apartment building that was converted to a hotel) so i would think it would be relatively safe booking with such a young child (although with the added resort fee the Holiday Inn may be a better value/location or it ends up being more expensive than the Conrad).

Either of the above work for your plans?

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Hi There!

I did it! I really waited these days and decided now the make it final.

I checked again Hotwire and the deal for the 5* hotel in downtown was droped to $197 so I booked it and were right!

It is "Conrad New York" I'm happy now :D. I think it is a pretty nice hotel

Can you tell me what the best way would be to from JFK Airport to the Hotel? 

Do you have any special insider place for me? Food, Breakfast...

And thank you sooo much guys for checking and helping me to find the hotel for me

Congratulations on your success... glad to hear it re-appeared at a lower price and you were able to grab it; this property does get excellent reviews.

Did you ultimately decide upon 914-9/19? (please confirm so we can make sure this win appears correctly in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins)

Nearby your hotel i like:

Adrienne's Pizzabar

54 Stone St

==> it's a restaurant, not a slice shop, that is reasonably priced for the quality of ingredients that they use.  Stick with their 'grandma' style pizza which is a rectangular pizza that is not as thick as sicilian style.

For breakfast, not so close to your hotel but in midtown, so just plan it into your itinerary on any day you're heading to midtown:

Ess-A-Bagel

831 3rd Ave (between 50th and 51st Street on the East side of the street)

... and for any day you're not on the east side:

Best Bagel and Coffee

225 W 35th St (between Seventh and Eighth Avenue on the north side of the street)

--> your order on the line to the left, get a receipt with your order, then loop around to the left to wait online to pay.  NOTE: very limited seating so if you can't get one of the few tables available you can try to get a table in front of Macy's on Seventh Avenue or walk to Times Square and sit on the bleachers behind the TKTS booth for a view you won't find anywhere else in the world

a recent newcomer right up the block from 'Best Bagel and Coffee' which i have tried once so far and it was also very good:
Liberty Bagels Midtown

260 W 35th St (same block as 'Best Bagel and Coffee' but closer to Eighth Avenue and on the south side of the street)

If you let me know what type of foods you like i can make some other suggestions.

As far as transportation from JFK, what time and day of the week do you land?

Hello thereuare,

I decided for 4 nights 9/14-9/18.

Thank you for your suggestions! I like actually all kind of foods, italian, american, Mexican....

For JFK Transport: We are landing on Friday 9/14 around 5 pm.

Are you also familiar with Philadelphia? We are planing to stay there on 09/18- 09/19. I Hope to find a good hotel which is not very pricy.

Please start a new thread for the Philly stay under the Pennsylvania forum with the details of the stay (desired budget per night, desired star rating, acceptable zones) and we would be more than happy to help.

37 minutes ago, Leylas_Mom said:

I decided for 4 nights 9/14-9/18

Thanks, i'll edit the topic title accordingly.

37 minutes ago, Leylas_Mom said:

For JFK Transport: We are landing on Friday 9/14 around 5 pm. 

TWO OPTIONS:

1) When you land i would use Google Maps (or Waze app) to see how long driving is (traffic at that hour could be a nightmare).  If 1 hr or less i would take a taxi which would be a fixed rate of ~$57 + tolls (depending upon route taken)

2a) take AirTrain to New York Penn Station via Jamaica Station Long Island Railroad (mostly abbreviated 'LIRR' on signage)... the per person AirTrain fare is $5 (+$1 for a metrocard assuming you don't yet have one) and $7.50 for the off-peak fare to Penn Station (buy MetroCard and LIRR ticket at kiosk machine before exiting the AirTrain turnstiles... there is a surcharge to purchase tix on board the LIRR train (the $7.50 fare becomes $14!)).  This is the same metrocard you will be using for subway access once in NYC and up to 4 people can share the same metrocard.

2b) once at Penn Station you can then take a taxi (~$20 i would assume depending upon traffic) directly to the Conrad or the subway ($2.75/pp)

==> your 2 year old rides for free on all the routes/tickets above

A third option is to take the AirTrain to Jamaica station and take the subway to Manhattan, but this is a loooong trip that i don't recommend.

Any questions on the above feel free to ask.

Other Food Options:

Rosa Mexicana - few locations throughout the city but note it can get expensive (especially drinks)

BonChon Chicken - (207 W 38th St) assuming you don't have Korean Fried chicken where you live this is a good experience... super crunchy and delicious (i prefer boneless but most seem to go with wings.... 2 varieties: 'hot' and 'soy garlic' or you can get half/half; the hot is very spicy

Italian - i don't have any specific recommendation but most places in Little Italy should set you up nicely (haven't been to La Mela in a very long time but that used to be a frequent stop for us, but i can't say if it's still good or not)

Chinese - i like Wonton Garden at 56 Mott St (not to be confused with the similarly sounding named restaurant on Mulberry St) for no-frills wonton and noodle soup (which is really the only thing i would order there... if you want more 'dishes' Wo Hop at 17 Mott St is very popular).  NOTE: neither of these places will appear to be very clean but that's part of the Chinatown experience :wink:

Yes, i am familiar with Philadelphia, but for help with that leg of your trip please post in the Priceline Hotels - Pennsylvania section of the board and we will assist you there.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]