Priceline Hotel: 4.5* Maui (Wailea - Makena)

awet
By awet,
in

Hello There,

I am a first timer I used the Priceline tool and named my price once in 2006 with a much lower budget. Since this is a higher budget trip wanted to invest more time researching. What would be the best website to use for Wailea - Makena 4.5* or even 5* area? (hotwire or Priceline)

What strategy should I use for the dates 18-24 October? So far I am liking Andaz the rate at Priceline currently is $489

Welcome to BetterBidding!

1 hour ago, awet said:

what would be the best website to use for Wailea - Makena 4.5* or even 5* area? (hotwire or Priceline)

The one that offers the best deal for your specific dates:wink:  Neither website is always better than the other, you have to look and see which offers the best option(s) that meet your needs for a give trip.

However, PRICELINE EXPRESS is currently only showing one 4.5* hotel in this zone and it is priced at $600/nite (at which point you would be better to just book the Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort since it meets your needs and is cheaper than the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer).  However, i did find this on HOTWIRE:

4.5* HOTWIRE Wailea - Makena for $386.00
Free Internet
Resort
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Near Beach
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Childrens Activities
==> best guess for this one would be the Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort... and our current Hotwire Coupon adds to the savings (a rare percent off discount which adds up quickly on a $400/nite hotel room for 6 nites)

Does this work for your needs this trip?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your reply with a wealth of information. I have analyzed what I got and used the promo code. I found out that Hotwire adds their fees of 249$ for my trip. which makes my daily rate 408$ instead of 386% (and this is with the 5%off coupons).

I find that the rate is too high considering that the member rate on their website is 443 for the same room. I also have the ease of cancelation with the website rate.

Given the above info. I am not satisfied with both rates (hotel website and Hotwire). I think I can find lower.

Please advise me if I should start bidding and what strategy should I take.

If bidding on PRICELINE are you OK with any 4.5* or higher hotel in this zone?

What would be your maximum bid price?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

NOTE: priceline has been moving/hiding the bidding section of their website so we have set up the following page for easy access: BiddingForHotelRooms.com

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am guessing 300$

Depends on Priceline hotel list for 4.5*. Is it up to date in betterbidding? it is shown that there are only 4 4.5* hotels and no 5* hotels. While Priceline website they have 5 4.5* hotels and 1 5* hotel.

4.5* max bid 300$

5* max bid 450$

Are these numbers reasonable?

The lists show only what has been reported to the board and there could be others. New hotels are reported to the board often and then added to the list. When bidding you have to be willing to accept any possible hotels at the star rating chosen in the zone/s picked. Are you okay with potentially getting any hotel at the 4.5* or 5* level?

If you're willing to pay more for a 5* vs. a 4.5* then you can first try at the 5* level and then if rejected try at the 4.5* level... but if your goal is the least expensive 4.5* or better then you should just start at the 4.5* level (since when bidding on hotels the star rating you select is the minimum you're willing to accept... so your 4.5* bid will also include searching for 5* hotels)

If you want to try bidding with a $300 maximum bid you can try as follows:

When bidding the 4.5* and 5* levels in the Maui region you have FIVE re-bid zones.  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1 is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 5* Wailea - Makena

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $225, if rejected close browser and use the BiddingForHotelRooms.com site to start over...

Select 5* Wailea - Makena and re-bid zone4...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $245, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $255, if rejected close browser and use the BiddingForHotelRooms.com site to start over...

Select 5* Wailea - Makena and re-bid zone5...

Bid $260, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $265, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $275, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $280, if rejected close browser and use the BiddingForHotelRooms.com site to start over...

Select 5* Wailea - Makena and re-bid zone4 and re-bid zone5...

Bid $285, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $290, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $295, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $300

If you decided to start with 5 stars and the above is rejected you can then close your browser, re-access BiddingForHotelRooms.com and repeat the above at the 4.5* level.

Any questions (especially confirming your re-bid zones if you're new to the subject or unsure) feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your detailed instructions. I started of with 5* and reached to 375$ with no luck then tried 4.5* and I reached 310$ with no hope.

How do I try again now?

From past winnings are bids very close to express deals?

Did anyone win 4.5* or 5* within the past 3 months to have them as a reference?

Please advise me on what to do now

Wins for other dates are not a good comparison because rates often vary (sometimes significantly) from one day to the next. Bidding wins are usually slightly-to-moderately lower than PRICELINE EXPRESS deals, although do keep in mind that there is the current 5% off promotion in my signature for PRICELINE EXPRESS but not for bidding. You can try a specific bid again 2 hours after the last failed bid.

Thank you for keeping us updated and best of luck in the next round of bidding. Please let us know if you have any questions at all before bidding again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]