Dad and Son NYC October 2018

DeeGee26
By DeeGee26,
in

Hi there, wondering if your collective wisdom can help me?

My son, who is eight, wants to see New York. My wife doesn't much like the city, and so she has agreed to stay home with our 2 year-old daughter while the boy and I have a Lads' jolly-boys outing. Very exciting.

Arriving from London into EWR on the evening of 23rd October, we'll be going back out of EWR on the evening of the 26th October.

Currently, as a sort of placeholder, I've booked a refundable room via Booking.com at Ramada Long Island City costing USD492.45 total for the three nights.

That's the top of my budget, really, although I'd like to try and beat that. What I'd really like, though, is something on Manhattan, either Down or Midtown, as that's where the sights are, and because we'll be working on a combination of UK/US time (first time the lad's flown long-haul) it makes more sense for us to be able to get back to the hotel easily. I'd like something nice, ideally with something in the hotel of interest or near to other things, in a nice area. I don't understand star ratings, but I'd want a hotel with a lobby that looks like a hotel lobby, and for my room to have a private bathroom and a TV.

Am I expecting too much for too little budget? Also, are prices likely to come down if I hold out? Any idas as to where to start looking?

5 hours ago, DeeGee26 said:

Am I expecting too much for too little budget?

At current prices your expectations are too high.  I suspect you chose the least expensive refundable rate that you could find on the outskirts of the city and now want to beat that for a much nicer hotel with a good location inside of Manhattan (where the location typically commands a much higher rate).  You may be able to get a higher rated hotel and/or with better reviews for about the same price, but to get something with a prime location in Manhattan itself is going to cost you quite a bit more based upon current prices.

Are you willing to pay more for a nice hotel with a good location or is your budget firm at $500 and at that price you'll stay at a 2 star hotel in Long Island City?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your feedback.

I've been a bit silly, in that I've seen dollars and thought pounds. I'm still absolutely blown away by how much more NYC costs than London, but that may be because I know which hotels in otherwise iffy parts of central London are good for me.

If we start moving into the 200 bucks a night area, am I any closer?

I can take a better hotel a short subway ride away, if that's all I can afford, though.

I'm seeing on PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm the correct dates of travel are showing on the detail page after clicking the link below.)

3.5* Empire State Building Area (<<<---CLICK HERE to go direct to the listing) for $221
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>Best guess would be the Hotel Lex. Additionally, on the detail page there is a bed choice option with 2 beds (which is relatively difficult in NYC if you're not paying an upgrade - with NYC's small rooms, 2 beds often costs extra) for $221, so you can get 2 beds. Plus, if the Lex this hotel gets very good reviews.

You can use the 5% promotion in my signature, as well. 

Would this possibility be of interest?

Let us know what you decide or if we can be of any further assistance.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Some other options now that you are in a more realistic $200 USD budget:

3* Times Square - Theatre District (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $177/nite with:
Business Center
Restaurant
==> best guess would be the Mayfair New York which does not get the best of reviews, and i would more likely suggest one of the others below, but i list it here as it does have a good location and is the least expensive (NOTE: the rate above is for a double bed, a Queen is $192/nite and a King is $208/nite)

4* Empire State Building Area (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $205/nite with:
Fitness Center
Business Center
Restaurant
==> from the HHL matches previous reports for the Life Hotel, Nomad.  There is an additional $28/day resort fee (which brings it just above the 3.5 star hotel in this same zone that AaronJB pointed out above) but the reviews are good and you can decide if worth an extra $10/day more than that option)

Let us know what you ultimately decide or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]