Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Theater District - Loop) Club Quarters Hotel, Wacker At Michigan

mlbltd5678
By mlbltd5678,
in

My husband and I are taking a spur of the moment getaway weekend to Chicago.  We are flying into O'hare and am trying to find a hotel that will be within our budget, but also convenient to tour the city.  Neither of us have never been to Chicago.  We don't mind renting a car, and staying a little outside of the city, but after looking, it looks like it might not be that cost effective.  Also, I was limiting my search to 4 *  hotels, but are the 3.5 star hotels in the city just as good.  When we travel, we typically stay at a marriot or hilton...  Just looking for some advice as it is 4 days away and I don't have a hotel booked yet.  Just wanted an economical weekend away for my Husband and I in a new city.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What are your actual check-in/check-out dates and what is your expected budget (per nite before fees/taxes)?

Renting a car is not recommended as you would then not only have the added expense of the vehicle but also the likely greater expense of parking it (even if you find a hotel outside of the city that offers free parking you then need to pay for parking once you drive into the city)... mass transit in Chicago is relatively inexpensive and easily accessible, and better to take any car rental / parking costs and put that expense into a better hotel directly in the city with a good location.  Staying outside of the city can be a feasible alternative if your budget is very far from current prices, but we can usually find a better option (but to do so, as per above, we need to first know your travel dates and your expected budget)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know the information above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The closest option that I found was on HOTWIRE:

3* HOTWIRE Theater District - Loop for $147.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
==>  Best guess is the Hilton Garden Inn North Loop, which is a newer, well-reviewed (4.5/5 tripadvisor rating showing on the detail page for this HOTWIRE listing) HGI in a good location.

At the $165-175, there's options at the 4-4.5* level. If those are of interest, please let me know and I'd be happy to offer suggestions.

I'm not against suggesting the suburbs if driving - some of the suburban areas of Chicago are really very nice - but I don't think it's worthwhile with prices what they are for this period (in terms of the difference between downtown and the suburbs.)

I'm very familiar with Chicago and happy to answer hotel or city questions.

Let us know your thoughts on the above and if we can be of any further assistance. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

For just a little more than the property above i would have a look at this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer:

4.5* Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $169/nite with:
Pets Allowed
Fitness Center
Business Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> my best guess for this offer would be The Fairmont Chicago which would be an excellent deal for this property over these dates (i feel 'good' about this guess, but should it be wrong, you're still virtually assured of a great hotel given the 4.5* hotel rating and the 8+ user review rating from previous PRICELINE guests).  However, you will need to decide if worth the additional expense or not, which is not that much over your budget when factoring in the board's Priceline Coupon that will take an additional 5% off this rate

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I guess the question really is... What do you think the difference in accommodations with be from the 3* $147 to the 4* $169.  Do you think it will be worth it?  We got very cheap flights, that's why we chose Chicago, but also need it to not break the bank as we are a middle income family, and this is an extra getaway.  Would it be worth it to save the little extra and get the 3* with decent/clean accommodations.  Where I could use that little extra a night towards an attraction, or spend the extra $ per night to stay somewhere a little nicer, but not have the Extra $45 to spend elsewhere.  Trying to get the whole weekend to be under $600 for food, accommodations and activities.  The flights were booked with miles that I needed to use or lose, so I spend about $40 a roundtrip.  

It's a tough call given how good the reviews are for the Hilton Garden Inn... but on the otherhand $15/nite is a small price to pay for a big jump in star rating.

AaronJB will have better insight into each individual property, but for me (unless he advised otherwise, as i trust his advice given his knowledge of this area) i would generally spend the extra for the nicer hotel... if it was $50+ per nite extra for the higher rated hotel, or if it was only .5-1 star level higher i probably wouldn't do it, but for a 4.5* property i think the $15 is worth it (especially if this gives you a chance to stay at a hotel/brand that you typically wouldn't get a chance to stay at)

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the 4.5* $169 when searching (and the link does not appear to work, so I'm guessing there is no inventory left.) However, I'm still seeing:

3* HOTWIRE Theater District - Loop for $147.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
==>  Guess would be the HGI.

Are you not seeing that HOTWIRE listing when searching? The price you see may vary slightly, but you should see the above amenities. 

The Fairmont would be a nice upgrade in terms of room/facilities for a bit more (less given the 5% off promotional code), but if that is no longer showing then the potential HGI would be a well-reviewed, well-located option.

I'm seeing this one on a curret HOTWIRE search:

4* HOTWIRE Theater District - Loop for $139.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==> Club Quarters Hotel, Wacker At Michigan is my guess for this one

There is also this one from PRICELINE EXPRESS:

3.5* Downtown - River North (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $163/nite with:
Fitness Center
Business Center
Restaurant
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
==> my guess here would be the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza

Either of these work for your needs?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

As noted above AaronJB knows this area better than i do, but the Club Quarters does have a better location than the Holiday Inn (in addition to being both cheaper and higher rated)

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

I'm seeing this on HOTWIRE (which I wasn't seeing earlier):

4* HOTWIRE Theater District - Loop for $139.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  I'd agree with the guess of the Club Quarters Wacker/Michigan. The rooms at the CQ are a bit on the smaller side, but location's great - certainly a very central home base to explore the city.  I'd definitely go with this, as it would be a good option location-wise and even a bit closer to your desired budget. No guarantees, but there's also the chance of a river view at the CQ Wacker/Michigan.

Thank you for keeping us updated with what you decide and let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Definitely happy to answer any city questions, as well.

Congrats on your success.

I think choosing the CQ on Wacker was a terrific choice. The possibility of a river view is certainly a plus, but location wise you're basically half a block from the Michigan Ave bridge, which puts you at a very central location in the city as a whole.

A short walk South on Michigan Ave is Millennium Park and the Art Institute.  A short walk North over the bridge and you're into the Michigan Ave shopping area. It's also an easy enough walk over to the River North area with its restaurants and nightlife.  The boat tours and boat taxis leave from opposite sides of the Michigan Ave bridge, so that's another option right there.

Please let me know if you have any city questions at all. Happy to offer dining, walking, sights recommendations - let me know likes/dislikes.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]