Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Mammoth Lakes Sierra Nevada Resort and Spa

nowack
By nowack,
in

Price $112 plus $27.18 tax. We also opted for the $8 cancellation insurance for a total of $147.12. 

Complimentary: Free Internet, Free parking

Amenities: Airport shuttle, Fitness center, Pet friendly, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Self-service laundry, Smoke-free rooms

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your results with the board, helping us add the amenity set for this property to the Hotwire Hotel List.

I believe there may have been more amenities than you listed in your post, which would not have been seen unless you searched using the EASY VIEW TAB of our BiddingHelper.com tool. (always use this method for your searches/purchases to ensure you're seeing the complete amenity set and for an easy comparison of PRICELINE vs. HOTWIRE, as well as to use our new IS THIS A GOOD PRICE feature).

Can you please add a reply to this thread confirming the full list of amenities associated with this property (including any accessible amenities)... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.  Using this method do you see all of the following:

Shuttle, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry, Golf, Spa, Childrens Activities, Free Parking, Pet Friendly

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks, enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Upon further research, I believe what is happening is the Hotwire reservation is with the Lodge at Sierra Nevada Resort, which is a little misleading. The rooms at the Lodge from what I've read are older and not renovated. Some posts say they smell (like mildew or previous smoking rooms) and are dirty. They don't even have air conditioning. How can Hotwire (and Priceline) rate the resort 3.5 stars and have rooms that are more in line with a 1 or 2 star room? On top of that, there is a $25 resort fee that was not revealed on Hotwire but it was on Priceline. I booked on Hotwire because I thought they didn't have the extra resort fee. I think buyers need to be aware of these misleading points. Go to the Sierra Nevada Resort website and look at their Lodge rooms before bidding. Had I known, I would have booked elsewhere but I'm stuck now.

Here's what it says for amenities. Even if you stay at the Lodge section of the resort, you will have access to these amenities but you will pay $25 per night whether you use them or not.

FULL AMENITIES: Shuttle, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry, Golf, Spa, Childrens Activities, Free Parking, Pet Friendly, Steam Room, Sauna, Ski Rentals, Gift Shop.

I can update the post once we have stayed to let folks know what to expect. I love your website and appreciate all the information, which is why I'm adding this new information that I've discovered since learning which hotel we got.

Why do you think this is for The Lodge rather than the Sierra Nevada Resort and Spa?  What does your reservation say?

This HOTWIRE listing shows a 4.0 TA ratings which is consistent with the Sierra Nevada Resort and Spa... The Lodge has a lower 3.5/5.0 TA rating.

Before making any assumptions i would call the hotel and confirm which building it is that your reservation is for.  If they indicate it's for the Sierra Nevada Resort and Spa then you're all set... if they indicate it's for The Lodge section, don't bother getting into an argument/discussion with them, just say 'thank you' and hang up for the phone (after making a note of the person who it is that you are speaking with).  Then call HOTWIRE and indicate that you've been assigned to The Lodge which does not meet the 4.0 TA rating of the hotel that you purchased and you would:

1) ask them to have the hotel change the reservation to the Sierra Nevada Resort and Spa (assuming this is your preference over #2 below, if you would simply rather start over from scratch and find a new property to stay at then start with option #2 below)

2) ask them to cancel the reservation since the user review rating of the hotel you have been assigned does not meet the description of the hotel that was shown by HOTWIRE prior to your purchase

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My reservation says Sierra Nevada Resort and Spa. If you look at the ratings for this resort, they are all over the place. It appears to me it is a timeshare selling off their excess rooms during the non-peak time. Those who get the timeshare portion of the resort, love their stay and give it rave reviews. Those who get the Lodge, complain.

I don't know for a fact that we will get a Lodge room. I am basing it on other reviews I've read from people who have booked from a third party vendor. Two in particular mention Priceline. Here's a link to a couple reviews (there are many more but you get the picture):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xg8v7dly4yc1nu/SierraNevadaResort.docx?dl=0

I really appreciate your suggestion and will definitely take you up on it by calling the resort. Had I known there was a possibility of getting a substandard room, I would have paid $50 more to get a "real" 4 star resort. That is why I love your website. We can share our experiences -- good or bad (I've never had a bad experience and have gotten some incredible deals!) Thanks again for a great website! 

P.S. I ALWAYS start my bid from the link on your website (even if I don't always report my wins -- slap my hand!) and hope others do as well!

57 minutes ago, nowack said:

Had I known there was a possibility of getting a substandard room, I would have paid $50 more to get a "real" 4 star resort.

I think above (my previous post) you have the ability to confirm which part of the hotel you will be put in and an 'out' should it be The Lodge section (since the user review rating of The Lodge does not meet the criteria shown for the HOTWIRE hotel you purchased).

If you can be assured you are in the 'better' section of the hotel everything should be fine... if you find out you're in The Lodge section i think you have good grounds for getting HOTWIRE to cancel this reservation (based upon it not meeting the criteria indicated prior to your purchase) and you can then decide if you want to spend $50 more for a better property.

Keep us updated on your progress and how it all works out.

Good luck, and thank you for always using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your purchases, it's greatly appreciated.:smile:

Thank you for the suggestion on calling the resort and Hotwire. I did find out that the room I purchased was at the Lodge. I also found out I would not be charged the resort fee. Then I called Hotwire. I got nowhere with the customer service representative. She basically told me I should go to the resort and after staying there, I would have an opportunity to fill out a survey if I was dissatisfied. I told her I didn't need to stay there to know I would be dissatisfied with a room equivalent to a one star motel. My husband pointed out even Motel 6 has air conditioning. I finally asked to speak to her supervisor since I could tell I would get nowhere with her.

After long holds while the Hotwire supervisor straightened things out with the hotel, I was informed I could either cancel the reservations, including the insurance I purchased, or pay an extra $34.20 at check in and get a deluxe room, which are the remodeled rooms. I opted to pay the extra $34.20. I don't know if I have to pay the resort fee on top of that. I guess I'll find out at check in. I'm very satisfied with how Hotwire handled the situation. Thanks again for your suggestion.

I think the bottom line here is buyer beware when booking a room in Mammoth at a 3.5 star resort. I would recommend paying a little more and booking at a 4 star resort to avoid getting the Sierra Nevada Resort Lodge rooms.

Glad to see you have sorted it out with HOTWIRE and are pleased with the resolution... always better to handle these issues before you arrive whenever possible, and we have seen most scenarios that we have a good sense of how to go about resolving them.

We're happy to have been able to help... have a great trip!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]