Hotwire Hotel: On a TIGHT Budget in NYC

VentureForth
By VentureForth,
in

I know, I know.  Staying in NYC for under $100/nt is darn near impossible.  So I found decent prices in NJ for around $109, but then figured at least another $50 per day in transportation costs for two of us.  I'll be riding the subway anyway, so I figure if I could find something in Manhattan for $139, that'd be my break even point - and I'll win back 3 hours per day commuting during my 3-night stay as my "reward".

The Hotwire and Priceline hotel tables were developed more than 10 years ago, and they did not go below 3*.  I just can't afford a 3*.

SO, my question is, Is there any way to ensure a PRIVATE BATHROOM in a 1 or 2* category?  Are there any recent wins in the $100-$140 price range that have been won for the end of June that have two beds and a private bathroom on Manhattan?  I have searched the Priceline and Hotwire win pages and haven't noticed anything.

Thanks in advance!

I see that you're already subscribed to this thread, so i'll assume you have figured it out.

Few points:

• The Priceline and Hotwire Hotel Lists are constantly updated any time new information is reported to the board... they do include hotels below 3 stars.
  • There are NJ options where commuting costs are substantially less than $50/day, although the price differential may be worth the convenience of staying directly in Manhattan.
  • I'm extremely familiar with this area... what are the actual dates of your stay?  How will you be arriving to the area (ie- if driving do you also need parking... if plane/train/bus where to you arrive)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

PS- please conclude your previous Jacksonville Priceline hotel thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip.  Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.  Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I appreciate your response.  I'll be flying into EWR on 6/22 and departing Amtrak from Penn Station on 6/25.  I have a couple of tentative locations - one in a hostel on Manhattan for 139/nt and a corporate rate of 109 at Marriott in Woodbridge.

Obviously the Marriott is a huge step up quality-wise, but the hostel in Manhattan (I would prefer not to say which one exactly as I'm staying with my 12 year old son) is in a location that can't be beat, albeit at the sacrifice of private shower and toilet.  There is nothing like sleeping while hearing the sounds of sirens echoing off the skyscrapers...

I'm sorry I didn't conclude my Jacksonville thread.  It was five years ago and I don't remember if I even booked a trip then.

Thank you for your help.

34 minutes ago, VentureForth said:

It was five years ago and I don't remember if I even booked a trip then.

Please check our PRICELINE / HOTWIRE trip history (or emails if you have a messy INBOX like myself:smile:)... if still can't find any info please conclude that thread indicating that you don't recall.

There are a few different Marriott branded hotels in Woodbridge but i don't think any of them are a full-service 'Marriott'... are you referring to the Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, Renaissance, or some other? (although now i see why you mention $50 in transportation fees... but no reason to stay this far out, imo)

More reasonable / realistic ideas:

3* HOTWIRE Secaucus - Meadowlands for $97.00
Restaurant
Fitness
Smoke Free
Free Internet
Hi-Speed Internet
Business
Laundry
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
Pet Friendly
==> Holiday Inn Secaucus Meadowlands which is in a small 'outdoor mall' complex so there are places/things nearby to grab a bite to eat, see, do, etc... and frequent bus service from the immediate area into the city (bus fare would be about $3.xx and assuming no traffic you're looking at about 15-20 minutes into the city)

2.5* HOTWIRE Jersey City for $99.00
Complimentary Breakfast
Smoke Free
Free Internet
Hi-Speed Internet
Business
Free Parking
==> The Holland Hotel which would be a moderate walk to the PATH train (although i would have to double check the PATH schedule as i know they are closing a few lines during the weekend over the summer for track repairs)... hotel gets good reviews and people seem to like it, but i'm not a big fan as it's right near the entrance to the Holland Tunnel and not the best of areas, imo

Near the same price as your NYC hostel i see:

3* HOTWIRE Lower East Side - East Village for $137.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==> best guess here would be the The Hotel 91

3* HOTWIRE Long Island City for $135.00
Restaurant
Fitness
Smoke Free
Free Internet
Hi-Speed Internet
Business
Golf
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> Holiday Inn Manhattan View which would be one stop on the 7 train into the city (or 2 stops on the also nearby N/W line)

Any of the above work for your needs? (to me they all seem better than your current alternatives based upon the limited information you have provided for those)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts (or how it goes if you take one of the above) and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Concluded Jacksonville thread.

I found a 3* for $138 in Midtown East.  Probably only one bed.  Last booked was Pod 39. Described as "Boutique Hotel".  Pod 31 likely?  Don't like just a single double bed which is likely...  Also looks like they add nearly $100 in excessive fees in addition to the taxes. 

Resort fees need to go away.

If you'd like us to have a look at a HOTWIRE offer please include the full amenity set when clicking the GREEN 'Full Amenities' button next to the listing in the EASY VIEW tab of our BiddingHelper.com tool.

HOWEVER, given the resort fee is this property still within your budget and at a price you're willing to pay?

Cool.  First time to use Biddinghelper.com.  It gives a list of:

Pod 39 <-- Most Likely

Seton Hotel

Hampton Inn Manhattan / United Nations

Wyndham Midtown 45

Full amenities:

Boutique, Restaurant, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Pet Friendly

The "resort fee" of $33 alone and just the taxes would be acceptable, but the "Tax recovery charges + fees" of $126.19 in addition to the $33 (total ~$160) is $100 above the $61 that the typical tax rate would add to the base price.

If Hotwire adds this much fat to their bids, I will no longer use Hotwire to plan my trips.

I will close this thread with accepting the current rate that I have for the Vanderbilt YMCA bunk beds booked as a backup.

I will always refer to betterbidding.com before committing to a stay anywhere and will go through this site to use PRICELINE.com or HOTWIRE.com to seek my accommodations.

Thank you, thereuare, for trying to work with me to help me out.  I have a week before payment is committed.  I'll keep looking.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]