Hotwire Hotel: 4* San Diego (Coronado - Silver Strand - Imperial Beach) Loews Coronado Bay Resort

spuck20
By spuck20,
in

Looks like it's been 8 years since I posted on here.   That's what a newborn will do to you, I guess.  You become less focused on a great deal and just try to keep everyone happy.   

I like what you've done with the place in the meantime.   The BiddingHelper.com is awesome.  Especially the best guess option on the HOTWIRE listing. 

Looking at a 3* in San Diego - La Jolla area for June 6 to June 11 $154.   Have a backup reservation in Carlsbad, but we're getting down to crunch time to keep or cancel.  

FULL AMENITIES: Pool, Fitness, Complimentary Breakfast, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Kitchenette, Laundry, Golf, Blind Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly.  Hotwire is saying "last person got the La Jolla Shores," but obviously that's not a guarantee.   

The hotel list on here for the area for 3* shows the Shores and the Empress, but the Empress doesn't have a pool, and I can't find anything about "complimentary Breakfast" at the Shores.   Any other suggestions?  I'm thinking maybe the Residence Inn, which if so, will steam me because it's available for $169 at discounters and book direct at Marriott with AAA of $170 with our Elite benefits.   Enough reason to not even stay there at all if it is.   

Thanks for any assistance.  If it is the Residence, we'll keep looking.  Hope you get some affiliate payment just for clicking through, because I've done that a bunch in the past week.  

We're glad to have you back and see that you're traveling again!:smile:

For this offer:

3* HOTWIRE La Jolla for $154.00
Complimentary Breakfast
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Kitchenette
Blind Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> best guess would indeed be the Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego La Jolla

Not sure of your needs for this trip but what about:

3.5* HOTWIRE La Jolla for $148.00
Complimentary Breakfast
Suite
Pet Friendly
Indoor Pool
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> the Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla would be my best guess here

or...

3.5* La Jolla - UCSD (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $132/nite with:
Pets Allowed
Fitness Center
Restaurant
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
==> Sheraton La Jolla

4* La Jolla - UCSD (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $148/nite with:
Pets Allowed
Fitness Center
Business Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
==> Hyatt Regency La Jolla

Any of the above work well for your needs?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you ultimately decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare, thanks for the guess on that Residence Inn.   Wife and kid love the beach, so, was hoping for that Shores location, but figured it was not a match.   

We've been traveling some the past 8 years, but I've had to go more with direct bookings so we'd be positive with what we were getting.  

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the Embassy Suites for a week now, but the one big drawback is that they have just an indoor pool.   I've turned my previous Motel 6 staying wife into a now picky traveler and we're raising an equally spoiled 8 year old.   

We might end up in Carlsbad at the Sheraton next door to Legoland or maybe down on the Silver Strand if we decide to go full-out beach hotel.  I'll post what we get if we go through one of the sites. 

Seriously, the marketing manager at that Residence Inn is the type of person that ruins the opaque process for all the other hotels that actually give a real discount.   If I were to go with the Hotwire deal, by the time they add on all their fees and such, I'm looking at $948 for the 5 nights as compared to booking directly with an AAA discount for a total of $906.  

Ended up booking the Loews Coronado Bay Resort in the Coronado/Silver Strand area  through HOTWIRE for $167 a night.  It listed full amenities through the Easy View as follows:

FULL AMENITIES: Resort, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Golf, Tennis, Spa, Childrens Activities, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

Will get hit with $130 in resort fees plus some obscene parking amount.   Best non-opaque rate looks to be $279 at the moment.  

Probably could have done better through PRICELINE as I'm pretty confident it was $164 on the PRICELINE EXPRESS Deals, plus the coupon that's available, but I didn't want to mess with the whole double occupancy thing as it looks like their king rooms are designed to only sleep 2.   (no fold-out except in the upgraded suites)   We're getting in about midnight the first night, and have to be gone by 8 the next morning for a wedding, so, the easier the better.  Still hurts my inner deal hunter, though, and wonder what I could have got it on a bid.  

Can't figure out how to edit the header and subject or I would update it with the purchase info on Loews.  

It dropped to $154 today, but, that's just how it goes.  It could have just as easily disappeared or gone up as it's short notice and rates have been increasing this week.   Hopefully, we don't get stuck in the elevator shaft as some reviews connect the Hotwire and Priceline bookings to lesser rooms, but what's new.   Got it for the location, not the rooms.  

• 2 weeks later...

Back home and really enjoyed the property.   For what we paid, it was just a bit more than what any regular room is going to go for in the San Diego area and this was a ton better experience than your typical travel hotel.  Would definitely look to come back if the price were right.  

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]