Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Theater District - Loop) Londonhouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton

annegray
By annegray,
in

I note you are familiar with Chicago.

This is my first visit to the city, so would appreciate any help.

I am ready to book.

Dates are July 25th - August 4th

I have read as much as I can but unsure exactly which area would suit.

We are not young, but can walk for miles, and love eating and drinking.

A walkable area.

Would like to keep the cost to under 2000 usd.

Reading all the reviews I think I would prefer to go for 4.5 star.

Hotwire appears to be cheaper than Priceline.

What is jumping out at me at the moment is 

River North 4.5 which will be The James/Godfrey/Palomar/Conrad

All seem decent @160

or

Mag Mile/Water Tower 4.5  guaranteed chain hotel @ 169

Am I looking at the right areas?

Expert advice gratefully accepted

Happy to help! :biggrin:

I will note that Lollapalooza starts 8/2, so rates for 8/2-5 are going to be higher and a note that the Grant Park area will be crowded during those dates.

A few thoughts:

4.5* HOTWIRE Theater District - Loop for $162.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
==>  Best guess would be the Londonhouse. The reason why I think this would work well is given the length of time you're going to be in Chicago, you could get a LOT done in terms of seeing the city and even surrounding areas/neighborhoods. This property is right by the Michigan Ave bridge. North across the bridge starts the Michigan Ave shopping area. Heading South on Michigan Ave, easy walk to Art Institute and Grant Park. So centrally located option when considering the city as whole.

4.5* HOTWIRE Magnificent Mile - Water Tower for $169.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Indoor Pool
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
Childrens Activities
==>  This would be a likely match for the W Lakeshore, which is across Lake Shore Drive from the lakefront. This is a nice spot in the Summer (not in the Winter), but I will note that it's not central; it's a walk West to Michigan Ave then it's a further walk to River North or subway.

4.5* HOTWIRE River North for $160.00
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
==>  This would be a likely match for the Godfrey, which is a property that I liked quite a bit when I stayed there. It's an easy walk to plenty of restaurant options in River North from here, not far from Michigan Ave and not far from subway. The only issue that I have with this property is that there is a bar with a retractable roof on the 4th floor - Wintertime not as much of an issue, but I would not want to be near it otherwise. If you stayed here, I'd try to contact them in an advance to ask for a high floor and hope that they take the request.

Let us know what you decide or if we can be of any further assistance. I'd also be happy to answer any city questions at all.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thankyou so much, very informative.

The Londonhouse I'm not sure about; I'm not a lover of Hilton hotels

The Godfrey, now that bar sure is a downside, and 10 nights, mmmm

The W, well I quite like SPG hotels but note what you say about location.

Should I hold off and see what else comes up, as I know the offers change?

Or perhaps have another look at PRICELINE.....

PRICELINE EXPRESS is showing this listing with a 9+ customer rating (please confirm on the detail page the correct dates of travel are showing after clicking the link below.)

4.5* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast (<----CLICK HERE to go direct to the listing) for $213
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
Restaurant
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>This would be a possible match for the Viceroy. This would be over budget (although the 5% coupon code does take off about $106 from the total), but if this is the Viceroy, it gets a 5/5 on tripadvisor and is one of the top 5 hotels on Tripadvisor in the city. That property opened last Fall.

There may be other options that appear when you split the stay, if that option is of interest.

Let us know your thoughts on the above and if you have any additional questions.  Other options may pop up between now and your stay, but the risk becomes this is not a slow period (especially the back half with Lollapalooza) and you may find the same options (or less appealing ones) with higher prices as your stay gets closer.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

• 6 months later...

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear you received a nice deal at the hotel you were hoping for and that it worked out perfectly for your plans.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please click the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]