Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* New York City (Rockefeller Center) Omni Berkshire Place

Nita from Cambodia
By Nita from Cambodia,
in

Hello from Cambodia!

I will visit the USA for the fist time in my life, so excited! I need to be in Orlando at Zumba convention from the 25th July, but will land in New York the 16th July, so I have 9 nights to spend in New York and Orlando before the convention.

My first question, how long is it necessary to stay in NY to visit Manhattan? 2,3,4 or 5 nights?

Second question: where would be the best area in Manhattan to stay?

This is my dream travel, so I really want a dream hotel in Manhattan but I can't afford premium rates $$$$ :sad: how do I compromise? The things I'm interested in is the notation of the hotel by the guests (8+) and to have a GREAT deal: a real discount! :laugh:

Can someone help me?

Thank you so much !!! :biggrin:

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I would suggest spending the most amount of time as possible in NYC, but this would also be dependent upon what plans you have in Orlando.  Other than the convention do you have any other plans in Orlando? (ie- theme parks, beach, shopping, etc)  If you spent 5 nites (or even 6 nites) in NYC what would you give up by taking that time away from Orlando?

What is your expected budget (per nite before fees/taxes) for the NYC part of your trip?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your fast reply! 

My USA trip is in two parts: 

From 25th to 30th = Zumba convention in Orlando at Hyatt, I'll be at there convention like 24/24, no Orlando visits! :biggrin: The 30th I will fly back to JFK and catch my return flight to Cambodia. What I need to plan is where I stay before the 25th.

As I will land the 16th at JFK, I will have 9 nights to spend between NYC and Orlando (or anywhere in between), I don't know where to go from 16th to 24th.

I never heard in my life about the Disney thing so I don't care about that, I can skip Orlando until the 24th and just visit one day I guess...

Budget: I was saving for $1000 for the first 9 nights, so I could splurge in Manhattan a few days and go lower budget after in Orlando. But if this is really not enough I will sell my MacBook to cover the budget :sad: 

Do you think it's worth staying in NYC for 8/9 nights? Or is there any must see cities between NYC and Orlando i can go to? 

Thank you for your advices!

New York is an amazing city to visit and there's plenty to do to fill up a larger stay, but it is unfortunately expensive. Is your desired budget $1,000 for the first 9 nights in total for hotel?  There's a number of other cities in-between New York City and Orlando (including Washington DC, for example) and you could possibly take Amtrak in-between cities to get a visual tour (in my opinion, some Amtrak routes do pass through a lot of pretty countryside that you would not otherwise see from the road), but let us know more about desired budget and we would be happy to research and discuss some potential options.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

My initial thought would be 7/16-7/23 in NYC which gives you a full week in NYC as well as one full day of rest before your convention begins.

However, a few points that need to be clarified:

-$1000 budget for the 9 nites is for hotel only? (does not include food, activities, transportation, etc)

-although you may have never heard of Disneyworld, it is a world-wide attraction, and if you like rides, amusement parks, etc. it would be a worthwhile stop, but it would be a full day experience and expect an entrance ticket to cost about $100 (so you can decide if worthwhile to you or not)

-i assume you are flying between NYC --> Orlando?

-what time does your plane arrive into NYC on 7/16 (the idea being if you arrive late at nite you could stay near the airport the nite before, which still gives you the afternoon/evening in NYC and saves you money by staying at the airport the nite before your flight to Orlando)

Let us know the information above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello!

its 11.30pm so last message until tomorrow :biggrin:

i had in mind $1000 for the first 9 hotel nights. I was thinking spending 120-160/night in Manhattan for a few days and save up in low budgets for the rest. If it’s better to stay 6-8 days in Manhattan i will need to increase my budget by borrowing money :wacko: hahahahaha 

i can’t imagine how many things there are to see in Manhattan, I thought 3 days would be enough Hahahaha. So it’s really worth to stay a full week ?

i have no idea what budget I need for transport activities visits and food in Manhattan, but I’m fine with street food, can walk or take the subway.

i will fly between NYC and Orlando but did’t book yet. So I could take Amtrak to visit Washington and fly from there to Orlando?

I will look on youtube what is Disney and if the rides are tempting, but do you think it’s worth it? Is Universal the same thing ?

thank you everyone !

A week in NYC would be a very good time as you won't feel rushed, and if you ever came back there would be even more to do.  So you could get a LOT done in 4-5 days, but you may feel rushed and it would be a lot of traveling around... a week would be much more relaxing.

NYC subways offer a 7 day unlimited pass which allows you access to all NYC subways and busses for $32 (which is a steal)

Disney and Universal are different amusement parks located about 10-15(??) miles from each other... different rides and different tickets needed for admission.  You can check them both out online, but Disney is probably the one that is more 'world renown'.

Amtak is one option, but as i know costs are a bit of a concern, note that there are also inexpensive buses that go from NYC --> DC (buses from each also go to Philadelphia should that be of any interest to you)... the ride is about 4 hours and if you plan far enough in advance the fare can be anywhere from $5-$25 (so you could potentially get one-way airfare from DC --> Orlando... then one-way airfare from Orlando --> NYC).  Although i don't necessarily recommend it (maybe i would when i was younger, and we're not sure of your age or how adventurous you are)... you could take a 1am bus to DC and arrive about 6am... sleep on the bus and that saves you the cost of a hotel room for the nite (could do the same with Amtrak, although the train would be a bit more comfortable but also quite a bit more expensive).

And store this one for when you do get to NYC:

Since you mention 'street food' one of the best and most famous is the NYC Chicken and Rice Food Cart (they have actually expended and are now franchising and storefront locations). You want the cart that is there late nite (7:30pm-4am) on the SW corner of 53rd St and Sixth Ave... a nice dose of white sauce and use the hot sauce very sparingly as it's EXTREMELY HOT. Best $7 dinner you'll find in the city.

OK, we'll see your thoughts in the morning and how you'd like to proceed.

In terms of NYC for 7 days (and I do agree there's plenty to do in NYC and 7 days would give you time to do it at a relaxed pace),

I do see for 7/18-23 on HOTWIRE

4.5* HOTWIRE  Rockefeller Center for $123.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Childrens Activities
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
==>  This would likely be the Omni Berkshire and it would be a fantastic deal and great location for at least a large chunk of the stay. This option is not available when looking for all of the nights together. This would be about $804.

I'm seeing on 7/16-18 on PRICELINE EXPRESS:

2.5* Lower East Side - Chinatown for $122 (<<<--- click this link to go to the listing and please confirm the correct dates of travel are showing.)
Business Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

>>>This would be a possible match for the Hotel Mimosa, which would be a more basic property, but it does get 4/5 on tripadvisor.) The total would be about $318.

So, unfortunately, the all-in for this option would be somewhat over budget at $1122, but the majority of the stay would be at a pretty terrific upscale property in a great location. Surprisingly, that is actually one of the cheapest Manhattan options for that chunk of time. The first couple of nights would be in a completely different part of the city, so you could focus on the things in that part of the city for those nights while you're there.

thereuare is very familiar with Manhattan and can offer his thoughts on other options, but wanted to offer this possibility as a suggestion to start.

A potential DC/NYC scenario would be slightly cheaper, but not too much of a difference considering the addition of train cost.

DC HOTWIRE 7/20-23:

3.5* White House for $66.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==>  Best guess would be the Topaz. This portion would be $253 total.

NYC HOTWIRE 7/16-20:

4* Gramercy - Union Square for $132.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
==>  This would likely be the Freehand. The total would be $753.

So this option would be $1006, but would add another $49 if you took the train between NYC and DC, which wouldn't be a cost if you stayed in NYC.

Hello!

In terms of NYC for 7 days (and I do agree there's plenty to do in NYC and 7 days would give you time to do it at a relaxed pace),

I do see for 7/18-23 on HOTWIRE

4.5* Omni Berkshire Place HOTWIRE  Rockefeller Center for $123.00

This is PERFECT!!!!!

I had a hard time finding your price, can you imagine when I checked for 7/18-22 it's $173/night and if I just add up an extra night 7/18-23 it's $123 per night! With all taxes and fees I got $804.34 for the 5 nights, so $160.80/night net. 

NYC HOTWIRE 7/16-20:

4* Gramercy - Union Square for $132.00
==>  This would likely be the Freehand. The total would be $753.

GREAT choice! But they have resort fees so this climbs up to $188/night :sad: I can't combine both: if I change the dates of Omni Berkshire I lose the promotion, and I can't get the Freehand at this price for only two nights 7/16-17 ...

Three important questions: 

1- I can't book before Monday, I need to wait Monday to put money on my account to pay the booking. Do you think this promotion will disappear in the next two days?

2- I love the Omni Berkshire. Location is great, it's great value (website rate for the same period $236/night), 95% recommendation score (amazing!), Monday morning I will definitely book and pay, no seconds thoughts, unless something else shows up? I need to secure my nights from 7/16 to 7/21 or 22 or 23 (checkout hotel Manhattan the 7/22, 23 or 24). So what would be a great pick for the 7/16-17, or is there another combination of hotels possible?

3- Last question, do we have a Hotwire Coupon code and save a little more ? :biggrin: 

Thanks for all your precious time helping me with this, without you I would have paid an ugly room by airbnb, stayed 3 nights only in Manhattan to waste 6 days in Orlando waiting for the convention! A thousand thanks for this!!!!!!! 

The HOTWIRE offer(s) can disappear at any time... as you can't purchase until Monday we will have a fresh look at that time to see if it is still available.  If so, grab it and we'll then have a look at what is available for the remaining nites.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and click the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

The HOTWIRE offer(s) can disappear at any time... as you can't purchase until Monday we will have a fresh look at that time to see if it is still available.  If so, grab it and we'll then have a look at what is available for the remaining nites.

YES! But now that I found betterbidding I'm not stressing out anymore :biggrin: All my hotel bookings will go through your links! 

Let's see if the offer stays until Monday or if something better comes up! :tongue:

With PRICELINE bidding, you have to be willing to accept any hotel at the star rating chosen in the zone picked. it is always going to be a gamble, but in NYC once you get to 3* (and even moreso at lower star ratings) it definitely becomes even more of a gamble. PRICELINE EXPRESS is generally slightly-to-mildly more expensive, but the added value of PRICELINE EXPRESS is the information given which allows one to make an educated guess as to which hotel is showing. Additionally, with PL bidding in NYC, you may wind up with a hotel that charges hotel fees. With PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE, you can look for listings that don't list fees. You may run into a HOTWIRE or PRICELINE listing that doesn't list fees where fees are actually charged, but this is pretty rare.

Awesome! You're staying at the Omni Berkshire Place!

Amenities Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Golf nearby, Children's activities

Accessibility Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom

Price summary

Room

$615.00 ($123.00 per night x 5 nights x 1 room)

Taxes & fees $189.34

Thanks to the betterbidding team for the help finding this awesome deal. I was VERY careful this time to only use the HOTWIRE link provided by betterbidding to land to hotwire and make my booking :tongue:

Congrats on your success! 

This is a really terrific deal for a 4.5* property in NYC! $123 is more towards what you see in what are traditionally somewhat slower/colder months (like March.) Plus, this will be a great location to see the city. We look forward to helping to book the remainder of this stay.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]