Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Galveston Bay (Galveston West - Waterpark Area) Best Western Galveston West Beach Hotel

purplelotus
By purplelotus,
in

Total cost was $78.98.  Amenities were free parking, free internet, non-smoking, bed choice, business center, fitness center, and pool.  Showed a rating of 6+.  Oddly enough, I did NOT get a bed choice for $30.  A king bed was listed for $49 or 2 queens for $57.    Priceline also offered  this hotel on their non-express hotels for 2 nights for a non-refundable total cost of $89 ($10 more) with a 6.8/10 rating..  This tipped me off so I was fairly confident it was the Best Western when I bid.  The best rate I could find on Best Western's website had a total cost of $136.  This hotel used to be a LaQuinta Inn and Suites, and we've stayed there several times since it was built maybe 15 years ago. The hotel was very nice when it was new (big rooms, nice decor,balconies), but gradually went downhill (mildew smells among other things) so we stopped staying there.  I'm not sure when it became a Best Western, but it says on their website that it was renovated a year ago.  It was repainted for sure, but some of the reviews indicated the rooms could use updating.    Hotel gets a 3/5 rating on Trip Advisor and 7.6/10 rating on hotels.com. 

I used the Better Bidding link.  Didn't qualify for the Priceline coupon (not 3 stars), and I didn't have a Priceline coupon from my email.  Nevertheless, I think it's a pretty good deal.  I wanted a decent, but inexpensive, hotel in Galveston that's clean and has a comfortable bed.  Hopefully, it will fit the bill.       

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear this fits the bill for your needs this trip (certainly the price is right!) and you're looking forward to see what the property is like under the new flag from the last time you where there.

Thank you for using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your purchase and sharing your win, helping us add this property to the Priceline Express Hotel List.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotel worked out well.  We were very pleased given the price. This is the type of deal I used to get frequently on Priceline but can't find very often now.  Could have paid a lot more for something no better or possibly worse.   I asked for a room on the top floor that was away from the elevator (my usual request).  The agent said fine and gave us a king bed, but then stated that if we wanted 2 queens, he'd change it.  We didn't care so just kept the king. The room had been refurbished although I thought the LaQuinta decor was nicer (bigger desk and couch), but this is personal preference. The room and hotel still smelled of mildew, but we expected that since mildew smell is difficult to get out.  (This is a beachfront hotel.)  Everything worked in the room, the staff was friendly overall, breakfast acceptable, bed good enough, and towels/amenities were decent for a 2.5-star hotel.  They asked if I was a Best Western member which I said I was and gave me 2 bottles of water and 2 snacks of my choice.  The front desk agent said it was still the same owner even though the branding had changed.  I'd rate it higher, probably a 4/5 -- the downgrade largely because of the smell.    I'd return if another deal like this occurs when I want to go to Galveston.  This is a 2.5 star hotel, not a 4 star hotel, so my rating is based on this, but so was the price.     

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]