Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* New York City (Lower East Side - East Village) Sixty Lower East Side

IamsoSMRT
By IamsoSMRT,
in

Please be gentle this is my first post.  I know how message boards can be.

My wife and I just got back from a road trip on the left coast.  During that trip we booked mostly through Expedia.  We were told to try Priceline Express when we changed our plans while in San Diego.  Long story short....  The room we got through PRICELINE EXPRESS was far superior at a much lower price than what we got through Expedia.

So now we are going to spend a week in NYC for our first time.  I've kinda gone through the whole PL bidding thing a bit and it seems like it is the right way to go. 

I'm looking to stay in the Lower East side.  I've used your PL Hotel list on this site, am I reading things right that if I were to bid on a 4.5 * property in the Lower East side I would likely end up getting the Hotel Indigo?  If that is correct I am kinda pumped as that is one of the hotels I have been looking into.

From there I just need to make a bid on the Priceline site and hope for the best?  Any tips on making a bid?  Its says Median price is $279 and that I could save as much as 60%.  If I shoot for only 50% and bid $140 am I likely to get shot down?

ANY advise/help would be appreciated THANKS

Welcome to Betterbidding. :biggrin:

WIth PRICELINE, there is Name Your Own Price (bidding) and PRICELINE EXPRESS (listings).  NYOP Is generally slightly-to-moderately cheaper than PRICELINE EXPRESS, although with PRICELINE EXPRESS you can make an educated guess as to which hotels are showing based on the information given which does have value. With NYOP, you can have to be willing to accept potentially any hotel at the star rating picked in the zone/s chosen. Additionally, there is currently a 5% off promotion for PRICELINE EXPRESS (see my signature), but not for NYOP.

As noted at the top of the site's lists, those are only the hotels that have been reported to the board - new hotels get reported to the board all the time; there's the definite possibility that you can get something not showing on the lists.

Please confirm your dates of travel and then I'd be happy to research and suggest options available.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks a lot for the info.  We are heading down to NYC on April 18-25th.

I am partial to the Lower East side because of a Beastie Boys album cover.  I was also eyeing up a couple of hotels in Long Island City as well.  Budget is roughly $200/night but would prefer to be cheaper than that.

If you ideally want to stay in the Lower East Side:

4.5* HOTWIRE Lower East Side - East Village for $198.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> best guess would be the Hotel Indigo Lower East Side New York

Staying outside of Manhattan (ie- Long Island City) is do-able, but it's going to be a very different experience vs. staying directly in Manhattan. 

Have you ever been to NYC before?  If you've been to the city many times and/or intend to return in the near future, then by all means stay just outside of the city and commute in, but If this is your first trip i would suggest staying directly in Manhattan (and if the intention is to try and save money, you would always split your stay between staying in Manhattan for half your stay and in Long Island City for the other half... part of what make the city so special is the convenience of walking outside your hotel and having so much at your fingertips... you lose that 'feel' for the city when you stay outside of it)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts (or how it goes if you take the HOTWIRE offer above) and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It would be the first time in NYC.

Is the Lower East side a good choice?  We tend to be GO GO GO on our vacations.  It'd be nice to have a homebase we can go to and just relax.

Think you could shed some light.  I keep seeing that you have a good insight into NYC.  Any tips would be appreciated.

THANKS

On 3/4/2018 at 12:34 PM, IamsoSMRT said:

Please be gentle this is my first post.  I know how message boards can be.

We know how 'message boards can be' too, but It's not like that here... we make sure that everyone is welcomed, since afterall, we were once new too!:wink:

The Lower East Side is an up-and-coming area, with lots of new bars, cafes, boutiques, and restaurants opening in the area.  Although it's not the most convenient or centrally located, it's certainly do-able, with the nearby F and M subway lines a few blocks away which will have you in midtown in about 10-15 minutes (the J and Z lines are nearby too but those head downtown which you likely will not use nearly as much)

If you were looking to be more centrally located i like this offer:

4* Times Square - Theatre District (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $163/nite with:
Business Center
Restaurant
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> best guess here would be the Distrikt Hotel New York City which is more centrally located and also gets excellent reviews

... and this one:

4.5* Madison Square Garden - Convention Area (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $200/nite with:
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> the Crowne Plaza HY36 Midtown Manhattan is my best guess here which is a new hotel that has been getting excellent reviews (currently the #5 rated hotel with a 5.0/5.0 at TA)

The Distrikt hotel has a resort fee ($27/nite) where i don't believe the Crowne Plaza has any, so the two offers are virtually identical in terms of cost.

The reviews of all three are very good (the two i listed as well as the one in the Lower East Side that you were originally interested in) so i don't think you can go too wrong with any of them, but my first choice would be the Crowne Plaza as the location is excellent, as are the reviews, i like new hotels, and anytime you have the opportunity to stay in a Top 10 reviewed hotel with a 5.0 TA rating i think you take advantage of that.  However, you know your needs better than we do and if you have your heart set on Lower East Side i wouldn't deter you from that, but for the 'average' visitor, all costs being relatively equal, i think the Crowne Plaza would be my choice.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your success.

Very nice win for this well-reviewed property and hope you are looking forward to your trip. You mentioned the cover for the Beastie Boy's "Paul's Boutique" album - the location of that (https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6189452/beastie-boys-mural-being-painted-on-pauls-boutique-street-corner-in-nyc) is about 3 blocks from your hotel.

Can you confirm the amenities that were showing with this listing? This information is available under the trip information in your HOTWIRE account and can be found before purchase by going to biddinghelper, clicking the "Hotwire Easy View" tab, then clicking the green "Full Amenities" button. 

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Two other recommendations near your hotel:

Economy Candy

108 Rivington St

==> old school candy shop (it's well known so usually always crowded) with great prices on bulk candy, novelties, and candy for 'yester-year' that you have seen in a long time (ie- marathon bars, candy cigarettes, etc)

Katz Deli

205 E Houston St

==> historic deli known for their pile high sandwiches... best known for their pastrami and/or corned beef

Have a great trip!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]