Priceline Hotel: Hotel NYC 08/05 - 08/08/18

chris20
By chris20,
in

Hello,

we are travelling from Munich, Germany to the USA in August 2018. From 08/05/2018 to 08/08/2018 our plans are to stay in NYC. We are a party of 4 (my wife, me and our 2 children (9+12 years old)). Especially my wife prefers two rooms for us to have two bathrooms and more space in the room.

My wife and I have been to NYC in 2004 were we stayed at the Grand Hyatt, which we booked for I think 140 $ with Priceline Name your own price and the help of your forum. As I understood from other requests, the NYOP isn`t that cheap anymore, as often resort fees are added to the bidding price. So I tried the Express Deals. As in Germany the price listed must contain all taxes and fees and in the USA this isn`t the case, it`s not allways easy to compare the prices.

Now I found a 4 Star Hotel in Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park Area with a 6+-Rating and these amenities for 133$/nite + Tax = 1.003 USD (without discount)= 814 EUR for 2 rooms:

Restaurant

No smoking rooms

Bed Choice

If you search with your tool for that area, the hotel is mentioned with a price of 175 $/nite, but if you click at the rate, it drops to 133$. This seems to be a great price for a 4*-Hotel. We would like to stay in an area, where we can do most things by walk (or if neccesary by sub), which should be possible in this area. Other areas around Times Square are also welcome. As we need two rooms the rate should be not above 150$.

My guess would be the Club Quarters Midtown, which has quite good reviews - which don`t fit to the 6+ rating. Could this nevertheless be right?

Thank you very much for your help. Of course I would book the hotel over your link with the discount.

Greetings from ice cold Munich,

Christian

NYOP is somewhat less expensive than PRICELINE EXPRESS, but PRICELINE EXPRESS gives enough information to give an educated guess as to which hotels may be showing  whereas with NYOP you have to be willing to accept any hotel at the star rating picked in the zone/s picked (or possibly getting upgraded to the next star rating, although that's fairly infrequent.) There is also the current 5% promotion in my signature for PRICELINE EXPRESS.

Resort fees are charged by the hotel and wind up being charged whether PRICELINE EXPRESS or NYOP, but with NYOP you are told during the bidding process if one of the hotels you might win charges a fee. With PRICELINE EXPRESS, you can look at the total page to see whether there is a resort fee or not before purchasing. 4-5 years ago there was only 1 hotel that charged a resort fee in NYC but in recent years more and more have unfortunately startred to.

When searching on PRICELINE EXPRESS for these dates for two rooms (after clicking the links below, please confirm that the correct dates and number of rooms are showing on the detail page.) Prices in $USD:

4* Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park for $173
Fitness Center
Business Center
Restaurant
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

>>>Best guess would be the Jewel

4* Midtown East for $182
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
>>>Best guess would be the W New York

4* Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park for $178
Fitness Center
Business Center
Restaurant
>>>I'm seeing this listing with a 6+ rating in this zone, but when clicking I'm not seeing the lower price. Best guess would be the Dylan

4.5* Times Square - Theatre District for $194
Restaurant
Fitness Center
>>>Best guess would be the Time

4.5* Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park for $200
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>Best guess would be the Omni Berkshire

I'll also note for when looking up 1 room only on PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm the correct dates of travel are showing on the detail page after clicking the link below.)

4* Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park for $173
Fitness Center
Business Center
Restaurant
>>>This is the potential Jewel listing mentioned above, but when you click on the listing, there should be a number of bed choice options, one of which is a 2BR suite for $324. So one 2BR suite could be an option instead of two separate rooms.

Let us know what you decide or if we can be of any further assistance.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Dear Aaron,

thank you very much for your help. The 4* with 6+rating at Rockefeller Center/Bryant Park is now availaible for 166 $/nigt inkluding taxes =996 $ (before discount). That`s cheap, but the reviews of the Dylan - which was your guess - aren`t very good. So we have to decide, if we pick up a cheap 4*-Hotel as it`s mostly just for sleeping or invest some more money. Your hint with the Jewel and the 2-BR-Suite is great - thank you!!

I will keep you up to date.

Best wishes, Christian

I`m still searching for the right hotel...If the cheap hotel is the Dylan, it wouldn`t be my favorite, as we would prefer to stay in a large hotel on an upper floor. The Dylan is obviously nothing special.

But at one point I am wondering: The 6+rating hotel  (goo.gl/3acsxw)  should have 2000 verified guest reviews . The Dylan has less at priceline and as well on tripadvisor. There`s no hotel in rockefeller Center-Bryant Park at Priceline bookable, that hat 2000 reviews. Can the amount of reviews be a sign, that it can`t be the Dylan or can`t you rely on this specification?

Thank you very much,

Christian

On 3/3/2018 at 5:28 PM, chris20 said:

I`m still searching for the right hotel...

I'm very familiar with NYC... what is the the 'right' hotel and what is your maximum budget? (in USD before taxes/fees)

The hotel you posted in the image above is different than the hotel that AaronJB guessed to be the Dylan... the hotel he referenced above:

On 3/2/2018 at 5:16 PM, AaronJB said:

4* Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park for $178
Fitness Center
Business Center
Restaurant
>>>I'm seeing this listing with a 6+ rating in this zone, but when clicking I'm not seeing the lower price. Best guess would be the Dylan

This listing as 4 amenities associated with it... the hotel you're referencing only has a Restaurant amenity listed with it.

Please clarify what it is that you're looking for (have you decided if you just need a room to sleep in OR are you willing to pay more for something 'nicer') and we will try to help you find something that meets your needs.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Dear Thereuare,

thank you very much for looking and commenting on my search. You are really great.

The question about the right hotel is extremly difficult. As probably most of the users we would like a great hotel with nice rooms in a good location at a low price. Last time in NYC we got the Grand Hyatt which was impressing for us, as in Germany most hotels are not that huge. For us the hotel needs no fancy things, but it should be more than a room, where you try to get out as quickly as you can. So I thought with a 4* you can`t go wrong.

The maximum budget would be around 150 USD/nite before taxes/fees (of course if a 5 star would show up for 170 $ I can stretch the budget).

The above postes 6+rating hotel can probably not be identified as it only got 1 amenity. It would be interesting...

Now I found another hotel at PRICELINE EXPRESS, which is 3.5* rated in the Times Square zone which seems to be the "Rooom Mate Grace"

Times Square for 151$ / nite before taxes (1.123 $ all-in for 2 rooms and three nites)

amenities: pool

Would this in our opinion be a good hotel? The room decor is "interesting", but the reviews and the location seem to be good for the normal tourist in Manhattan...

Best wishes, Christian

Please include the full amenity set for any properties we are research (and also the zone and star rating, which i have added to your post above).

For this hotel:
3.5* Times Square - Theatre District (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $151/nite with:
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
==> i would agree that the Room Mate Grace Boutique Hotel would be the best guess for this one

I have never stayed here but the location is excellent in that it is very central and (if you desired) you can also avoid the crowds at Times Square when commuting by getting the subway at Sixth Ave and 48th St (or Sixth Ave and 42nd St)... there is also a Chic-Fil-A nearby if the kids need a snack between meals as well as Bryant Park nearby which does not have a playground, but does have enough green space to run around and blow off some energy.  As you know, it also gets very good reviews.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just to add that if you were looking to go the 1 room option i also see this one:

4* Madison Square Garden - Convention Area (confirm your dates on the landing page)
Fitness Center
Business Center
==> best guess for this one would be the Stewart Hotel which was recently took over from the previous owners (Affinia Manhattan).  I was in the lobby this weekend and it looked to be recently renovated (i can't say if the rooms have been as well or not).  Although this property also charges a 'resort fee' of about $35/nite, this offer also offers a few 'Room Choices' that may work for your family if you can choose one that offers 2 beds in the room (ie- for example, a 1 Bedroom Suite - 2 Beds - Smoking Or Nonsmoking is listed at $214/nite before the board's Priceline Coupon discount).  Although your reservation is still technically for only double occupancy, i don't know of anyone who has yet had an issue showing up with triple/quad occupancy when a specific room type was booked that is designed to accommodate the number of guests in the group (you could also minimize any issues by just having 1adult/1child go to check-in while the other adult/child wait someplace else in the lobby or go for a quick walk around the block to begin to explore the area).  The location here is good as well (about a 10 minute walk to the start of Times Square and across the street from Penn Station for easy subway access), but the street right in front of the hotel will be a bit busier since it's right on Seventh Ave (vs. the Room Mate Grace Boutique Hotel above which is more on a side street (which will still be busy but not as busy as Seventh Ave)

Hope that helps... let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help.

I thank you very much for your help and much work with me.

I´m still searching. My original cheap 4* Deal disappered, but I found a new one:

4* in Empire State Building Area for 135$ (still 08/05-08/08)

Business Center

Non-Smoking

Restaurant

7+ rating, only 70 reviews

My guess would be The Gregory. But The Gregory charges a hotel fee of 28$/nite/room, which would make the deal no more interesting as The Gregory seems to be okay, but not one of the best hotels in NYC (Nr. 293 of 474 on Tripadvisor). So only the price of together 1,013 USD for 3 nites and 2 rooms would make it worth thinking about.

Is it possible, that the hotel fee isn`t shown in the rate but will be charged nevertheless directly from the hotel? If you bokk The Gregory direkt via PRICELINE, the hotel fee is mentioned. Maybe it`s an other hotel?

We are still looking for 2 rooms - 1 room isn`t an option for my wife. But thank you very much for the hint with the stewart hotel.

Have a nice day, Christian

For this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer:

4* Empire State Building Area (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $135/nite with:
Business Center
Restaurant
==> i'm not 100% certain, but The Gregory would be my best guess

1 hour ago, chris20 said:

Is it possible, that the hotel fee isn`t shown in the rate but will be charged nevertheless directly from the hotel?

PRICELINE and HOTWIRE used to never show any 'resort fees' but has since gotten pretty good about showing them where applicable, but there are still a few properties that have 'slipped thru the cracks' and are not shown by PRICELINE EXPRESS. (although you could make a case of it with priceline, you would still be responsible for paying the fee directly to the hotel, but not worth the hassle (imo) given the outcome of the argument would be very 'iffy' (as it is in their terms that you will be responsible for any additional charges paid directly to the hotel))

Not sure how much you're willing to extend your budget but i think this is a very nice hotel:

4* Times Square - Theatre District (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $156/nite with:
Business Center
Restaurant
==> best guess here would be the Distrikt Hotel New York City Times Square which gets very good reviews.  There is a resort fee here as well ($27/nite) but it is a top rated hotel in NYC

Thank you very much - without your help I would have booked the Gregory (probably) for a price of 163 $/nite inkl. the hotel fee, which I wouldn`t like to pay, as it`s not the best hotel in NYC. Only the price of 135 $ (and no fees) have been an argument.

Thank you very much also for the hint on the Distrikt Hotel. It´s a bit above my budget, but there the hotel fees are shown before booking. The agent at the chat at priceline told me, that all fees will be viewable before booking. As you describe this can be the case, but is noch always so. To make a case of this problem isn`t worth it, esp. here from Germany.

We are looking again and I will give you notice of our efforts.

Beste Gruesse aus Muenchen, Christian

I`m so thankful for your support. We now have chosen the Room Mate Grace for 08/05-08/08 directly with the hotel. By booking with the mobile the price incl. taxes was reduced to 527 $ per room for 3 nites (1,054  $ all in for 2 rooms for 3 nites). This was lower than the price with priceline express even with the discount. Besides this I was thinking, that we will have better chances to get the rooms on a higher floor and to get adjected rooms when we book the hotel directly.

As I`m really glad that you helped me to avoid hotels with additional hotel fees I would like to make a small donation. But I can`t find an adress where to send the money by paypal. Last time I used your help (12 years ago :-)) it was possible. The 4*-hotel with 6+ rating (2.000 reviews) to which I was refering first could be The Roosevelt which gets mixed reviews. I think we now have the better deal.

Maybe I will go on your nerves with our search for a hotel in Washington DC at the end of our trip.

Just a last question: After our stay at the room mate grace we are going to Six Flags New Jersey (near Trenton, NJ) as our son wants to do every ride (Kingda Ka is waiting for me ;-)). Maybe the hotel has a garage nearby for a reasonable price. But would it be better to park our car at the western part of Manhattan (we are arriving on a sunday so that I assume it will be possible to drive without to much traffic jam) and pick it up on 08/08 about 9 am to avoid the section from times square to the licoln tunnel (or is it better to leave Manhattan by another tunnel/bridge?). Here in Munich I sometimes need 30 Minutes for 2 miles if I`m trying to leave the city centre. I assume this could be similar or even worse in Manhattan.

Thank you so much for your help and your patience, Christian

Glad to see you found something that works well for your needs.

Here is our PayPal info:

On 4/25/2005 at 1:02 AM, thereuare said:

CLICK to Contribute via funds already in your PayPal account

CLICK to Contribute via credit card thru Pay Pal (will say XOCharts)

As for the vehicle, where are you traveling from when you arrive in Manhattan?  After Six Flags are you continuing onward to DC?

Thank you for your help!

We are going from Philadelphia to Manhattan. After Six Flags we have a long way to Hilton Head Island, SC. Not sure now which route we will take. We have 3 days for the approx 750 miles (Thursday-Saturday). I thought about going through Chesapeake Bay Bridge instead of the I-95 through Baltimore and Washington DC as I assume there`s much traffic around these big cities. Do you think the route over dover and norfolk could be more relaxing and teh landscape more interesting? My other option going with the ferry from Cape Mey was refused by my other family members - democracy isn`always good :-)

Viele Gruesse, Christian

Not sure where your trip commences/ends, and if your current car rental plans are for pick-up/drop-off at the same location, but if not...

There are very inexpensive ways to get from Philly --> NYC (ie- MegaBus, BoltBus, PeterPan, as well as a bunch of smaller carriers) for $5-$10 per person each way (the two former don't allow you to buy tickets more than about 8 weeks in advance, but PeterPan currently has tickets for your Aug 5th starting at $10). 

This would save you the hassle of driving, gas, tolls, and then driving/parking in NYC... then you can either get a one-way rental from NYC to your departing airport (possibly no penalty for one-way rental since the rental companies often have a large number of cars that need to get from the city back to the airport... although not sure how this would work if you, for example, were renting from NYC and returning at PHL Airport (vs. say EWR, LGA, or JFK))... or you could take the train to Newark Airport and rent a car from there.

One last option to add to the mix... there is direct bus service from NYC (Port Authority) to Six Flags during the summer.  I'm not sure of the cost but i believe you can buy combination tickets that include roundtrip bus server and park admission (and possibly just transportation if you already have park tickets)... but that would be another possibility. 

EDIT TO ADD: there is also bus service from Great Adventure --> Philadelphia, but not sure if you could do NYC --> Great Adventure --> Philadelphia and then have some place to store your luggage; then rent your car from Philly giving you the same pick-up/drop-off if your trip departs from Philadelphia.

By the way, write this one down for when you're done at Six Flags (assuming you drive... as the bus won't stop for you:wink:):

Brooklyn Square Pizza

265 S. New Prospect Rd.

Jackson, New Jersey 08527

(732) 961-7999

... and get the 'upside down' square pizza.  The place is in the middle of nowhere (download Waze or Google Maps before your arrival) but one of the best pizzas i've had (and i've had a LOT)

As far as your best route from NYC --> Six Flags --> Hilton Head... i'll defer to Waze/GoogleMaps as you can get an idea of your best route from them, and then be flexible since traffic in what is usually the 'best' route may have them recommend one of the alternates that would be quicker at your time of travel.

So many possibilities - I have to check our route again. Thank you for your hints.

Now I have a quite good rate with hertz from 08/04 (Philly Amtrak) - 08/23 (PHL) for a Chevy Impala for 580 $ including taxes and fees. So I`m not sure if I should split the reservation. With one-way-fees it will not be cheaper.  After HHI we are going to Washington DC and end up at PHL flying home.

But I have to think about going by train or bus from Philly to Manhattan and getting a car when leaving town. The idea with bus to six flags is very good. But we have the luggage for 3 weeks with us, so it could be a problem with storage. And as you mention we have to look how to get from Six Flags to the south..

Danke fuer alle Tipps, Christian

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]