Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (River North) Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection

Wyotraveler
By Wyotraveler,
in

Hey all, including AaronJB

As stated in a previous win post I was able to get a good deal on a room for 3 nights in Chicago, but now need to look for a room for another 3 nights in the Wheeling area. I also thought about extending my reservation in Chicago by another night, thus only needing 2 nights more in Wheeling. When looking into this the rate went up by about $75 and I know I can do better out in Wheeling for that night, so that is out. In any event my family and I will be taking the Metra train from Union Station to Wheeling (not sure which station though) and will not have a car. That being said I am looking for something that might have a free shuttle and is close to eateries and shopping. Not really familiar with this area and wondering if I should look at sites, other than Hotwire or Priceline, so I can see the exact hotel and location and be able to map it out and see what is near by. I would take anything at or above a 2.5* rating with good guests reviews. 

Just really don't know where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Just to confirm, is this for 5/26-29? How many people are you searching for? (when researching, searches often get different results depending on how many people you search for.)

The North suburbs are quite nice, with lots of restaurants and shopping (as well as some sights, like the Chicago Botanic Garden, chicagobotanic.org, in the 'burbs despite the name), but the one issue is that the hotels are not walkable to a lot - they're more in/around office parks and similar areas. They're a short drive to a lot in many cases, but they're not really walkable to much. I actually often do recommend the North Suburbs as it's a very nice option and the Metra trains from downtown to the suburbs are pleasant, but it's difficult to really get around the area without a car. I'm familiar with a couple of hotels that do offer shuttle, but they are pretty limited (mostly just to/from the Metra station.)

The other note is that the advantage of the suburbs is that they're often much cheaper than staying downtown, but in this case I'm seeing prices fairly comparable (at least at higher star ratings) downtown vs Northbrook and the surrounding area. In fact, I'm actually seeing a 4* for 5/26-29 in the Loop that's cheaper than the 3.5-4* properties in the North suburbs for these dates.

In fact, I'm actually pretty surprised at how reasonable downtown hotel prices are for late May compared to how things traditionally are in the Spring.

Please confirm the dates of travel and I'd be happy to research and offer more thoughts on options available. 

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Yes, I am looking for a room for 05/26/05/29 for 3 adults. Also wondering if I should look at booking what I am guessing to be the same hotel (same price and same amenities), as I got for previous 3 nights. We would then have to travel back and forth for a few days (will need to look at the train schedules). Just thought it might be nicer to stay near my family there.

For 5/26-29, when searching this morning for 3 adults I'm seeing on HOTWIRE:

Downtown:

4* HOTWIRE River North for $107.00

Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Blind Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==>  With a 4/5 tripadvisor rating showing on the detail page, best guess would be the Hotel Chicago. The Hotel Chicago (which you have for the prior nights) is a great location; central to the city as a whole, easy walk to River North restaurants and short cab ride to Union Station. Additionally, this is in the House of Blues complex (this used to be the House of Blues Hotel), which continues to be built up.

Downtown (but in the Loop)

4* HOTWIRE Theater District - Loop for $117.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
==>  Best guess would be the W City Center. The Hotel Chicago would be a better option in terms of having nightlife/restaurants right nearby; there's not a lot going on in the Loop later at night. This would be a bit closer to Union Station. 

Suburbs:

3.5* HOTWIRE Northbrook - Wheeling for $97.00
Free Parking
Free Internet
Indoor Pool
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==>  Best guess for this would be the Hyatt Deerfield, which I've stayed at before and found to be a very nice property. This is located in an office park though like a lot of other properties in the area (Walgreens HQ is next door.) I do see a shuttle service listed on the hotel website (Complimentary shuttle service (5 mile radius upon availability, https://deerfield.regency.hyatt.com/en/hotel/our-hotel/hotel-features.html). This would certainly be well within the nearest train stop (you couldn't really walk from the station to the hotel, but it would be 2 minutes by shuttle.) The station is the Lake Cook Road stop on the Milwaukee District North line. Is there someone who can drive you to/from the event in Wheeling, whether from the train (if you stay downtown) or from the hotel (if you stay in the burbs?) 

The last train heading back during the week is around 10:45PM during the week and around 11PM on weekends. The Metra trains do run less often on Saturday and Sunday (about every two hours although there is an extra evening train on Saturday.)

So options are really getting likely the same hotel, getting a different hotel in the Loop that places you closer to the train station or staying in the suburbs. I do think that it's difficult to really see much of anything in the suburbs without a car unfortunately and given where a number of hotels are situated, there's often nothing really to walk to right nearby.

If the hotels in the suburbs were significantly cheaper on these dates as the suburbs often are perhaps I'd feel differently but given that prices are so similar I'd rather recommend staying downtown. 

If you do stay downtown, there is a train that goes to Wheeling called the North Central Service that goes out to near O'Hare before turning North towards Wheeling. It stops at Wheeling which would put you fairly close to Wheeling HS. This line only runs on M-F and has a fairly limited schedule. If you stayed downtown and have to go to Wheeling on the weekend, you would take the Milwaukee District North to Northbrook. Northbrook is actually a very nice little town and then you would have to have someone drive you from there to Wheeling or taxi. Both that train and the North Central Service trains go out of Union. Do buy tickets in the train station as you get charged $5 if you buy them on the train. If you have to go to Wheeling on Saturday and Sunday, there's a $10 weekend pass that offers unlimited rides Saturday and Sunday which would be a good savings. The Metra trains are quite nice and more comfortable than the CTA trains.

Please let me know if you have any questions before booking and I'd be happy to offer other suggestions/thoughts about hotels (and answer any city questions, too.)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks for your help. I have ridden the Metra Trains before. Also, there be someone that could pick us up at the train station. Just not sure what time the graduation would be over, so I will have to consider that when I think about a hotel. I am really leaning towards $107 hotel in downtown, as we are already there and won't need to pack and repack. also closer to El-trains that we will use to get from Midway and could use to get back to Midway. Also, another option is renting a car in suburbs, I don't fell comfortable driving in a weird city. 

Help again and I will let you i decide 

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see it all worked out and that you're happy with your decision(s) and plans.

Thank you for sharing your additional win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Have a great trip and enjoy the time with family.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]