Hotwire Hotel: Whistler -Tax Recovery & Fees of $1040?

sculley
By sculley,
in

Hi there, 

I was just looking at a 5 star hotel in Whistler and the "Tax Recovery and Fees" were $1040... but the hotel fee is $287 per night.  Does the tax recovery cost seem unusually high?   I'd like to bid on this hotel in Priceline but now I'm afraid of some insane Tax Recovery and Fees.    Would love some advice on the average "Tax Recovery and Fees" costs.

With thanks and appreciation.  

Welcome to Betterbidding. :biggrin:

Please let us know the dates of travel and we would be happy to research the situation and also look at other possible options in the area to suggest.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks for your reply.  I was looking at the dates of June 8th to 10th.   The 5 star that comes up is in Upper Village Whistler - Blackcomb Base area.  I'm fine with the nightly rate, but seems odd to have taxes that are double the nightly hotel rate.  Today's pricing is showing $285 a night with taxes at $1038. 

Are you searching HOTWIRE for something other than the default 1room/2adults/0children as i'm only seeing this 5 star offered when searching for your dates:

5* Upper Village Whistler - Blackcomb Base for $204.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Childrens Activities
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking

Which has the following pricing breakdown:

Rate per night $204.00

Nights 2

Rooms ( 2 adults ) 1

Subtotal $408.00

Tax recovery charges + fees $104.29

Hotwire Coupon Discount -$15.00

Hotwire total $497.29

Is the HOTWIRE offer you're seeing a different property than the one above?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I appreciate you taking a look at that.  This is what I am seeing on my end...note the "Tax recovery charges + fees"

5-star Hotel in Upper Village Whistler - Blackcomb Base area

|  95% |

(1501 - 2000 reviews)

1 Room, 2 Adults, 0 Children

Fri, Jun 08 - Sun, Jun 10

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Golf nearby see more 

Neat and tidy rooms earned this hotel a 5/5 guest rating.

$221.00 per night x 2 nights x 1 room 

$442.00

Tax recovery charges + fees 

The taxes are tax recovery charges Hotwire pays to its vendors (e.g. hotels); for details, please see our Terms of Use. We retain our service fees as compensation in servicing your travel reservation.

$801.97

Coupon applied

-$15.00

Trip total (USD)$1,228.97

What if you searching using our BiddingHelper.com tool and click thru the 5* offer that appears in this zone from there... do you still see such a high fee?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That worked!

5-star Hotel in Upper Village Whistler - Blackcomb Base area

1 Room, 2 Adults, 0 Children

1 king bed Your room type is guaranteed.

Fri, Jun 08 - Sun, Jun 10

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Golf nearby,   see more Free Internet, Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Golf nearby,  see less

Neat and tidy rooms earned this hotel a 5/5 guest rating.

CAD264.04 per night x 2 nights x 1 room

CAD528.07

Tax recovery charges + fees

The taxes are tax recovery charges Hotwire pays to its vendors (e.g. hotels); for details, please see our Terms of Use. We retain our service fees as compensation in servicing your travel reservation.

CAD134.84

Promo Code

-CAD0.00

Apply

HotDollars

-CAD0.00

Hotwire total due today (CAD)

CAD662.91

Resort fee due at hotel

This hotel charges a resort fee which you pay at the hotel directly. It isn't included in your Hotwire total.

CAD0.00

Trip total (CAD) CAD662.91

To see the complete set of amenities you will need to use the EASY VIEW TAB of our BiddingHelper.com tool and click the GREEN 'Full Amenities' button next to the listing. (always use this method for your searches/purchases to ensure you're seeing the complete amenity set and for an easy comparison of PRICELINE vs. HOTWIRE, as well as to use our new IS THIS A GOOD PRICE feature).

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities (including any accessible amenities) then what you have listed above? Using this method, below is the full list of amenities i'm seeing for the 5 star hotel in this zone when searching for your dates:

5* HOTWIRE Upper Village Whistler - Blackcomb Base for $204.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Childrens Activities
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
==> if this is what you're seeing i'm not certain about this hotel... the Four Seasons Resort Whistler would be a guess, but i'm really not sure, although this does seem to be a very good deal for a 5star property that gets good reviews (4.5/5.0 TA rating, 100% recommend by previous HOTWIRE guests (although only 5 reviews), and 4.5's and 5's across the board for all of the information that HOTWIRE asks guest to comment on (satisfaction, condition of hotel, service, comfort, cleanliness, location, etc)

Note that although HOTWIRE (and PRICELINE) have gotten much better in regards to disclosing resort fees, it is still in their terms that you're responsible for any resort fees (even if not shown during the checkout process).  While it would be difficult to dispute a 'typical' resort fee ($20-$40) even if it was not showing during check-out, i would think you would have a pretty good case if there ended up doing some resort fee that doubled the price.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

PS- don't forget to click our HOTWIRE link as it will activate our $15 off Hotwire Coupon

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]