Priceline Hotel: Help with first time booking - Salt Lake City

JanVS
By JanVS,
in

Dear all,

I'm a first timer on the Priceline NYOP system. I've read quite a bid on the forum (thanks a lot for the information!) and I think that I understand it (also the rebidding system). But I'm Dutch and have some additional questions to be sure:

- Can I book as a Non-US resident?

- Probably there is no breakfast included in the price, but I understand that breakfasts are generally quite small at the hotels?

- What are the tax rates in Utah and what kind of extra costs can I expect?

We are looking for a hotel in Down Town Salt Lake City

4 stars

2 persons

Check-in: September 4 (arriving from the Netherlands)

Check-out: September 5  (picking up Camper)

Room rate per nite: lowest! :). But I guess it is up to my bidding strategy.

No special amenities

Thanks a lot for answers/suggestions

Cheers, Jan

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You can use PRICELINE from outside of the US. 

You get all amenities that are standard at the hotel, but at 4 star properties breakfast is usually not included (this is more of an amenity offered at some 2.5*-3* star properties).

You'll be shown all taxes/fees prior to submitting your bid (or even before entering your credit card information).  I don't know how prevalent resort fees are in this area, but if the hotel charges one you would pay that directly to the hotel (just like any other guest).

Before bidding, thoughts on this offer:

4* HOTWIRE Salt Lake City - Downtown South for $92.00
Free Parking
Free Internet
Resort
Boutique
Indoor Pool
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
==> best guess here would be the Little America Hotel 

Would this hotel (and price) work for your needs?  If not, and you want to move forward with bidding let us know your maximum bid price (so we don't suggest a strategy that goes higher than you're willing to pay) and we'll take it from there.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed (or how it goes if you take the offer above) and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi ThereUAre,

Thanks for the info. I would like to get into the bidding proces as I would like to gain some experience and to feel the adrenalin :wink:. I see that the 4* hotel down town goes regularly for about $65. I would go max $80. Above that it seems not to be viable compared to Hotwire.

So what would be the best strategy? Start at $60?

For sure I will use the links mentioned on this website!

Cheers

When bidding 4* in the Salt Lake City region you have SEVEN re-bid zones.  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

You can try as follows:

Select 4* Downtown-University Park

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $68, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $73, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80

Any questions feel free to ask (especially confirming your re-bid zones if you're unsure)

Thanks for using the board PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your bidding.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Went up to $85 but no luck. Do I understand correctly that there is no correlation between price and the time in advance a hotel is booked? But that they release cheaper rates when the expected occupancy is lower than planned? Is waiting a few days/weeks something that might give me a better chance?

Also looking at Howire's offer 4* but also this 3*:

3* HOTWIRE Salt Lake City - Downtown South for $81.00 (claimed original prices $215)

* Free parking

* Free internet

* Airport shuttle

* Fitness center

* Indoor pool(s)

* Pet friendly

* Pool(s) -> i guess outdoor

* Smoke-free rooms

* Suite

=> which hotel would this be?

Thanks again

Cheers

I'm seeing:

3* Salt Lake City - Downtown South for $84.00
Free Parking
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Suite
Indoor Pool
Shuttle
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
==>  Best guess would be the Crystal Inn and Suites.

Post-2008 there was more in the way of last minute deals. As demand has come back, you've seen more and more instances of prices going up as the dates get closer. There is the possibility that the price can come down as dates get closer, but there is also the definite risk that it can go the other way, as well.

Let us know what you decide or if we can be of any further assistance.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks for the help so far.

I will have a look in a few weeks/months. Just to be sure I jumped on an offer on Expedia: I just booked the Crystal Inn including taxes and breakfast at Expedia for € 95 @ Expedia. Free cancellation till September 3rd. Update: just checked that at expedia.com the price is $147 incl tax O_O.  Strange price difference.

Let us know once you're ready to have another look at PRICELINE / HOTWIRE and we'll take it from there.

• 6 months later...

Booked in January the Crystal Inn for € 95 at expedia.nl. At PRICELINE (followed the links here) the price for this hotel is € 96.But at express deal I found this hotel

3* hotel Midvale - Cottonwood Heights, Murray, UT. On offer from € 96 (!) to € 78

Hotel amenties

- Free Internet

- Free Parking

- Free Breakfast

- Bed Choice

- Airport Shuttle

- Pets Allowed

- Swimming Pool

Based on the amenties and price I would guess this is the same hotel for a € 18 discount.

Any views on this? Thanks!

UPDATE: probably this is the Crystal Inn Hotel & suites Midvalley instead of the one I booked: Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites Salt Lake City (Downtown). So not necessary to look further, I will stick with the Expedia offer at it is with breakfast and cheaper than on priceline. 

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]