CA San Francisco Embassy Suites SFO Burlingame

dbnyc
By dbnyc,
in

won this via Priceline (4* category). stay was in Sept '03. checked-in late afternoon around 4pm.

very nice lobby area, and amazing garden atrium with towering tropical plants, and waterfalls + koi ponds.

my first time at an Embassy Suites, so this set the precedent. (other ES gardens were not as impressive)

the front desk was very friendly and helpful. no mention of Priceline at all. when i presented my HHonors number and asked her if i can earn points for incidentals, she answered cheerily that i sure can, and inputted my HHonors # into my reservation.

i was surprised by this, as i'd called the hotel a few days earlier to ask the same question, and a surly employee had rudely answered that i booked my room through Priceline so i don't get those benefits at all.

that phone call was made late at night though, so i wonder if the night clerks just aren't as friendly.

the room was in pretty good condition. lots of counter space, but the only closet space is an armoire in the bedroom. one convenient sink and vanity in the bedroom. one kitchen counter w/ a small kitchen sink in the living room. (i believe there was also a mirror in front of the kitchen area). sparkling new bathroom fixtures (glass shower doors on a tub/shower combo). a third sink and vanity inside the bathroom.

great setup for large families.

we had a tiny step-out balcony w/ a beautiful view of the San Francisco Bay.

Embassy Suites have a good breakfast buffet ("cooked to order" eggs; premade omelets, french toast, pancakes; assorted fruit, cereal, pastries; coffee, tea, milk, juice out of a machine)

there is a decent Seafood/Steak restaurant on property w/ a beautiful view of the Bay. very pricey though.

the one minus to this property is that you can hear the planes landing and taking off. it's really loud!

oh wait, and i almost forgot that the dining table (small round table w/ 4 chairs) had some cake icing smeared all over it. and some glops of cake icing on 2 of the chairs. that was gross. glad i saw it before i sat on it.

• 9 months later...

This hotel is going through a major remodel as of this review.I was there on a stay booked through Embassys web site and was put on the 8th floor.Floor 7,8,and 9 have all been remodeled and are Hilton Honors floors that require a key to get to your floor.

The room was nice with new carpet, furniture,towels,and I was told beds were on the way.This room looked much nicer then my stay last July.

The breakfast is not as good as the other ES hotels I have stayed at but for free it was ok.The drinks at the free happy hour are just that,free cheap booze.

The best part of this hotel is the fact that it sits right on the water front (Bay).It also has the nicest atrium area of any ES that I have been to with lots of trees and water.Theres a nice indoor pool and 2 spas with a sauna and weight room.

Theres a seafood restaurant in the hotel but its $$$$.Theres another nice restaurant you can walk to called kincaids and its a nice walk by the water to get to it,but again $$$$.If you don"t eat at Kincaids,walk over there anyway and have a drink because there bar is very nice.Other then those two you will need a car.

Theres a great restaurant right down the street by the Hyatt called the Elephant bar.The place is very nice right on the water and the menu is $7-$25.Theres lots of good food around $12.Get the jungle colada for $5.50,its a very good drink and you won"t be sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

Priceline had originally booked a smoking room w/ a king size bed. Changing it to a non-smoking room was no problem. Our room was on the 5th floor and had some seriously old furniture - U G L Y !

The courtyard IS very nice, and we enjoyed the free breakfast (even though the line for the hot breakfast was 15 minutes on the Sunday morning we were there).

The pool: didn't even try it, as it was filled with screaming kids. Not really our crowd! And the fitness room wasn't really anything to write home about either: 4 or 5 treadmills. That's it.

If it wasn't for the great breakfast, I'd rather stay elsewhere.

DeltaPurser :)

• 1 month later...

Stayed there for one night 9/2, and we loved the place for this area. After having stayed at the Sheraton, the Hyatt, the Doubletree and now this place, this will be our future favourite.

Checkin was very quick, with no hassles or such, and we received a non-smoking King bed room with bay-view on the seventh floor. All paperwork was already prepared, and we were on our way within a minute.

Room was large like all Embassy Suites we stayed at are. It had the usual amenities for a ES (fridge, microwave) and looked well in shape, however not relly newly renovated as above mentioned (e.g. two large cracks in the bathroom-sink). Towels were soft and plenty, and everything was reasonably clean. While the room obviously had been sprayed (something I cannot stand usually) the odor was decent and not too obvious (a rather neutral smell). The only bad thing was the aiport-noise which was pretty obvious during the night. Got woken up several times during the night by departing aircraft, so I would ask for a room not facing the bay next time.

Free cocktails in the evening and the breakfast (which I found to be OK and well in line with other ES properties) were a definite plus for this hotel, and I certainly would go back there anytime I'm in the area.

Greetings - Dirk

• 5 years later...

Stayed at this Embassy Suite on Dec 4 -5 then on my return stayed Dec 21 - 22 and was shocked to hear I had to pay for parking. One of the benefits of staying at a hotel outside of the City is free parking. Until they change their policy I will not be returning to this Embassy Suite. I promised the hotel's front desk that I would be informing other potential customers of this new policy change.

The hotel is decent but not as nice as the one in Burlingame. Burlingame charges the $15 parking fee as well.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]