Priceline Hotel: 4.5* New York (Midtown East) Intercontinental New York Barclay - Newly Renovated

jimaleg
By jimaleg,
in

It's a 4.5 star PRICELINE EXPRESS in NY- MidTown East

Bed Choice Business Center Fitness Center

Non Smoking

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Bed Choice Available

9+ Guest Rating 200 verified guest reviews

It's $195 less the 5% discount by using BBHalloween....I'm already up to 180 on NYP for that & neighboring zones in MidTown for Saturday night 10/28. 

I haven't tried HOTWIRE yet but that's next....

The second one I'm interested in is a 4* NY Grand Central UN for the same date...it's 184 (less the 5%).  I'm up to 161 on the NYP for 4*

Bed Choice Business Center Fitness Center Non Smoking Restaurant

Bed Choice Available

8+ Guest Rating 300 verified guest reviews

Any idea on either one is greatly appreciated

Please confirm the dates of travel and we would be very happy to research the listing and try to ID.

Additionally, did you make a purchase for the trip discussed in this prior  Cancun Priceline thread? If so, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post what you decided in that thread. Thank you, it's greatly appreciated.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Just checked hotwire and there's a 4* in ME for 10/28/17 for 181 less the $20. Here's the amenties....any idea:

Complimentary

Free Internet

Amenities

Boutique hotel

Business center

Fitness center

Pet friendlyRestaurant(s)

it says: Book soon! The last person got the The Court - A St Giles Hotel

Any idea of this hotel?

Also does Hotwire ever offer 4.5 hotels for NY  All that comes up is 4 or 5's.  Priceline includes the 4.5 stars with the search for 4* on Express deals.

I'm seeing on PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm the correct dates of travel are showing on the detail page after clicking the link below.)

4.5* Midtown East for $195
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>Guess would be the Intercontinental Barclay. If this is the Barclay, that property was massively renovated not that long ago. This is the least expensive 4.5* showing for these dates and cheaper than many midtown 4*'s - I do think this is  a good deal.

4* Empire State Building Area for $193
Business Center
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>A guess would be the St Giles the Court, which was previously a W property.

I'm seeing on HOTWIRE:

4* Midtown East for $187.00
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
==>  A guess would be the Club Quarters Grand Central.

Would any of these possibilities be of interest? Thank you for keeping us updated with what you decide and let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks Aaron, you're great.

Regarding your comment On hotwire would midtown east also include Grand Central? I've stayed at the Club Quarters GC and was not impressed with the size of the room (TINY).  Location was ok.

..there's also a 181 4* in ME on PL that I posted probably after you started to research.  Could this also be (or instead of the $187 mentioned by you)  Guest Quarters in Grand Central? 

I am definitely leaning toward the 4.5* possible intercontinental Barclay for 195 less 5%.

I'll post whatever I get for Halloween Saturday.

43 minutes ago, jimaleg said:

I did not make the Cancun purchase.

Please always close your threads with whatever you end up doing for the trip... even if you don't use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book a regular rate hotel, etc.  This helps keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone, as well as a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

I'm not sure of your needs for this trip but i would either go for the guessed InterContinental thru PRICELINE EXPRESS or consider:

4* HOTWIRE Madison Square Garden for $217.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Bathroom Accessible
==> this property shows a 100% recommendation from previous HOTWIRE guests and my best guess for this one would be the Crowne Plaza Hy36 Midtown Manhattan, which is a new hotel that has an outstanding 5.0/5.0 TA rating.  Note that this is a one nite stay so you're not eligible for the current PRICELINE EXPRESS promotion which requires a 2 nite minimum... but with the above you could use the current $20 off promotion from our Hotwire Coupons page.  It may be a few dollars more than a 4* hotel in another zone, but 5.0 TA rated hotels are so rare that i would take the opportunity to stay in one if given the chance.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

for the HOTWIRE hotel in MSG area for 217 it says :   95% recommended Amazing! (5 reviews).  It's not 100% and do you think 5 reviews is sufficient basis to judge?

I'm gold with IHG so Crown or IC would be great....I'll try one more NYP then probably go for the IC unless you really think a new CP can compete with an older IC?

If you search using our BiddingHelper.com and use the EASY VIEW tab (which you should be) you will see a 100% recommendation (from the same 5 reviews... so i'm assuming it is indeed the same hotel).  Regardless, a low user review rating is a red flag, but a high recommendation rating is not necessarily one to blindly jump on board (regardless of the number of reviews) as the bar is set somewhat low for what HOTWIRE considers to be  'recommended' or not.  HOWEVER, all 50 TA reviews are rated 5.0 and that is something that i DO take notice of... the HOTWIRE recommendation is just reinforcing the strong TA rating.

The InterContinental is not really 'old' as there was a MAJOR renovation about 12-18 months ago and the reviews have been quite good since that time.  Being newer, and the excellent reviews, i like the idea of the Crowne Plaza as i think it's more my taste... but if you like the style and location of the InterContinental there is nothing wrong with that property either.

Let us know what you ultimately decide.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I bid through the board PRICELINE link and got the Intercontinental Barclays for 187 for total $235 (PRICELINE EXPRESS was 195 total $247) for Oct 28.  I basically saved $12 by bidding vs express.  I limited my bids to ME and used free rebids since I figured this hotel would be on NYP and express.  I bid increments of $2 and my last unsuccessful bid was $185 (so someone might get it at 186).  I think the PLexpress fees might be 1% higher than NYP ($48 on 187 and $52 on 195).

Anyway, I thought about the new Crown and Aaron's preference/tastes but IC is not that old and was $36 cheaper than Crown even with the $20 coupon.  I'm gold on IHG so either way I should get a late checkout or possible higher level room.  I've stayed at Waldorf towers (gov rate and upgrade to towers), Marriot Marque (NYP), Fairmont Plaza and Hyatt Place (the last 2 were freebies from a credit card deal) but I've never been to the IC in ME only the historic IC in Chicago which was fantastic....hopefully this will be the same!  thanks for all the help!

Congrats on your success.

Happy to help! Glad you are pleased with the win at this restored property (the IG in Chicago is definitely a beautiful property) and are looking forward to your stay.

Article on the renovation of the Barclay: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/nyregion/a-manhattan-hotel-is-made-over-and-a-reporter-wanders-back-in-time.html

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

I was thinking about paying the $100 (2 people) for concierge lounge (don't get it with my IHG gold) but I may take your suggestion after dropping 235 on a hotel. Lounge includes pre show wine and snacks and full American breakfast.

Also many thanks for the article....I'm going to try to get a high floor room facing Lexington.

It's funny but at first I was bidding without the link.  I then remembered to switch to the link....when I did my next bid (187) was accepted....do you think the link improves the odds of a bid being accepted.  I wouldn't think so but it was an interesting coincidence.  When I think about 186 or 187 relative to 195 express price....there was not a huge discount relative to express using NYP but I guess I can't be too greedy.  I wish my 10% off my next PL stay wouldn't have expired.....

I think I got the Marriot Marquee in Oct 2014 for like 170 something all-in. 

I just put my IHG number in the reservation....IHG is pretty accommodating to it's members....the lady in guest services said to call her the night before and she would see if she could upgrade me from a deluxe to a premier on the IC.  I'm sure I won't get points since you never do with PL but I should get the comp. drink and she requested early check in. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd guess about 90% locals.

INSIDER TIP: if you only want bagels (ie- nothing on them, no cream cheese, no better, no tuna salad... JUST PLAIN!) you can bypass the line and walk towards the back of the store where there is a separate line/location

In NYC there is almost always a line for anything that falls into the 'excellent' category, just something you get used to (or tolerate i suppose).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]