Hotwire Hotel: 1st time visitors to Chicago

allybunnie
By allybunnie,
in

Hi

I am in "research" mode to a possible last minute trip to Chicago (10/31 - 11/4) - We would be 1st time visitors - Southwest air has deals flying into Midway & we would be relying on no car/public transportation to get around & would want a good base area to stay at to explore the area - seeing some great pricing on 4 - 4.5* hotels on HOTWIRE in zones like Mccormick Place/South Loop, River North, Magnificent Mile/water tower - or PRICELINE EXPRESS zones M/Mile/Gold coast, Downtown/Millenium Pk, Downtown River North or I could try bidding on a win thru PRICELINE working with free rebid zones.... 

Before I proceed farther, any thoughts on if flying into Midway works with this game plan, & if so, which zones would be the best to look into staying? 

Midway works just fine - it is still a trip into the city via "L" or cab but it is a shorter trip than in from O'Hare.

McCormick Place area is not recommended from a tourist perspective as there's really nothing much around it - it's primarily for those who are coming in for a convention and are needing to be right near it. I generally recommend staying around the river or to the North of it. Parts of the Loop - especially the West part of it - can get very quiet on nights/weekends. If I was going to stay in the city, personally my first choice would be River North - very nice area, plenty of restaurants and easy walk to Michigan Ave. Weather at the end of October/early November is still not bad, but it does start to get a little colder and having a more central/convenient location becomes a bit more important.

What would be your desired budget per night for this stay? Additionally, I'm very familiar with the city and would be happy to answer any city questions, as well.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks AaronJB...

we would probably want to shoot for a max 150..maybe a little more if it's a must do hotel...hubby  wants me to do a little more research on the area to make sure there's stuff to do besides eat !! I am sure there is but being early November the choices probably get to be fewer and he loves museums but I do not so we would have to find a happy medium on other activities!!

The Museum Campus is along the lakefront a bit of a ways South of the Loop. This included the Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium and the Field Museum of History. When the weather is nice, you could take the subway from the North side of downtown and then walk the rest of the way - it's a pretty decent walk but scenic. Or it's really not a bad cab ride. 

The Art Institute - which I think is really a must - is next to Millennium Park and really an easy walk from River North. One other minor trip that I often recommend is up to Lincoln Park. The Zoo is really quite nice (and fre) and it's an easy walk from the Zoo to Old Town (Second City theater) and the Chicago Historical Society. The Lincoln Park neighborhood also has a lot of shops (and more local vs mega chains on Michigan Ave) and restaurants.

I do see on PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm that the correct dates of travel are showing on the detail page after clicking the links below. Additionally, you can use the promotion in my signature for another 5% off.)

4.5* Downtown - River North for $146
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>Likely the Godfrey. This hotel is superbly located in River North. The only concern is that there is a bar on the 4th floor, so I'd ask for a higher floor room. I've stayed here and thought it was quite nice.

4.5* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $158
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
>>>Guess would be the W Lakeshore. This is a nice W that was redone a couple of years ago but it is a bit out of the way by the lake. 

4* Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park for $128
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>Club Quarters Wacker at Michigan would be a guess. Small rooms, but great location right by the Michigan Ave bridge. Millennium Park and the Art Institute short walk South, Michigan Ave just North over the bridge.

On HOTWIRE:

4* Millennium Park for $129.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  Guess would be the Hyatt on Wacker, which is basically a block from the Club Quarters location noted above. The Hyatt has been seen with this amenity set previously.

Would any of these possibilities be of interest? If not, let us know more about what you are looking for and we would be happy to research and offer other suggestions.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

a couple of more have sparked my interest on hotwire easy view...can you identify:

HOTWIRE EASY VIEW:

4.5* Mag Mile water tower for $153.00 (100% recommend)

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Internet access, Children's activities

4.5* river north for $128.00 (90% recommend)

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Internet access, Spa services

seems like there are quite a few choices between these & the ones you mentioned...my head starts spinning trying to sort them all out & pick one!! yikes...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]