Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Worcester - Auburn (Worcester) Quality Inn and Suites Worcester

PDB_905
By PDB_905,
in

So I got an unpleasant surprise--I had checked the hotel lists here on Betterbidding for the Worcester, MA zone and decided to make a bid for 3* hotels.  It's possible I may have bid for 2.5* (is there any way of reviewing your actual bids on PL, if you don't happen to capture the page while you're making the bids?)

So ultimately I made a successful bid and received the Quality Inn & Suites in Worcester, MA.

I decided to look at TripAdvisor reviews, and this hotel gets absolutely horrible reviews, is in a sketchy area, and is a hotel I would never purposely make a reservation at and am unsure I'm even willing to stay in.

I went back and checked Betterbidding's hotel list and is lists the Quality Inn & Suites as a 2* property.

I can tell you for certain there is ZERO chance I bid for 2* properties.  I make a good number of PL bids and I don't ever bid for 2* except under special circumstances.  For this very reason.

So either Priceline messed up, or the Hotel List on Betterbidding needs to be updated.

Of course, I realize and accept that there is a certain amount of risk involved in opaque bidding and that's fine.  But here are my questions:

1.  How can I determine the actual current star level of the Quality Inn & Suites in Worcester, MA?  (My web browser at work is pretty locked down and I'm having trouble viewing star levels on Travelocity, Hotels.com, etc.)

2.  If PL screwed up and gave me a 2* hotel when I bid for 3*, what recourse do I have?

3.  Is there anything else I can do?  I may have to either hold my nose and stay at this place, or eat the money and book another room elsewhere.

Thanks!

OK, so I finally determined the Quality Inn & Suites appears to now be a 2.5* property.  It's entirely possible I did make a bid for 2.5* after failing at the 3* level.  Seems like the most likely scenario.

So my only question remaining is--is there a way to find out what my actual bid was?  Just so I can confirm that PL didn't screw up.

Like I say, this is part of the accepted risk of this process and it's bound to happen from time to time.  No harm no foul.  The reservation was only for one night so it's not the end of the world.

Also, please do update Hotel List with new star level of this property.

Thanks as always!

Sorry to hear that the result wasn't what you had hoped.  You can try contacting PRICELINE with concerns about the property and see what they say, but if you do stay here hopefully the property will exceed expectations. The hotel is responding to negative reviews, which is at least a good sign.

Thank you for letting us know about the change in star rating for this PRICELINE property so that we can update the site's Priceline Hotel List. As noted at the top of the lists, they only include what has been reported to the board and are updated as new information comes in.

When bidding, you can get the star rating chosen or - occasionally - are upgraded to the next highest rating.

Additionally, can you confirm the price per night (before taxes/fees) as well as the dates of travel so that we can update the site's Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins? Thanks.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Dates were check-in August 25 and check out August 26

Price accepted was $76.  I don't have the taxes and fees handy, sorry.

Update--after doing a little research I decided to try calling the hotel to cancel, then call Priceline to request a refund.  I had decided I was not going to stay at this hotel and at worst I would be losing one night's lodging cost.

I called the hotel and cancelled the reservation.  They said they would cancel the room but I would need to contact whoever the reservation was made through for a refund, as it was prepaid.  So I called Priceline, told them I had cancelled the room, and asked if I could get a refund.  They put me on hold while contacting the hotel, then came back on the line and said the hotel had said it was OK to cancel and give me a refund.  So I am getting a refund.

So all is well, and I made another reservation outside of Priceline.  I'm sure this will be noted in my PL account and there is a limited number of times they would allow this.  But I don't expect to have this happen again.

So my advice is, first, try not to have this happen.  But on the off chance that it does, the strategy is to call the hotel and cancel and then call Priceline customer service and request a refund.  It's always worth a shot.

Glad to see you got it all sorted and thank you for the additional information.

A few comments and answers to some of your questions above:

First, thanks for sharing your win and experience with the board... i believe this property was upgraded only within the last few days and we have updated the Priceline Hotel List accordingly.

15 hours ago, PDB_905 said:

How can I determine the actual current star level of the Quality Inn & Suites in Worcester, MA?

Use the 'IS THIS A GOOD PRICE' button in the BiddingHelper.com PRICELINE EXPRESS tab next to hotels of different star ratings in the zone to see if this hotel appears... then click on the hotel listing to confirm the star rating on PL's site (or you can also search the priceline tab at MAPS and HOTELS.com and click on the hotel listing to confirm the star rating on PL's site)

15 hours ago, PDB_905 said:

If PL screwed up and gave me a 2* hotel when I bid for 3*, what recourse do I have?

If you bid for a 3* hotel and PRICELINE gave you a 2* property (based upon their own star rating) then you should be entitled to a refund... but i don't think this has ever happened.  There are sometimes differences of opinion as to whether hotel received is worthy of the assigned star rating, but this is more of an industry-wide problem in the sense that there is no standard for star ratings and they can differ from one company to the next.  Of course you won't find a 2 star hotel rated 5 stars.. but it can often be a fine line between assigning a hotel a 3* vs. 3.5* rating (or any other assignment where the difference is just a half a star)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]