Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Lower East Side - East Village) Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side

asu93
By asu93,
in

I will be visiting NYC for the 1st time this summer with my 12 and 16 year old kids. We plan on doing all of the tourist things, Statue of Liberty, 9/11, museums, etc. I haven't booked flights, but am looking at several sets of dates all in mid July, with stays that vary from 4 to 7 nights. Are there any areas that I should particularly look for or avoid? We plan on using public transportation the majority of the time, so don't really have a desired zone, although safety is a big concern being a mom with kids. I would like to keep the $ just under $200 after all taxes/fees.

A few Hotwire hotels I have been following and would love advice on are as follows for the dates of July 13-18th :

3*s Theater District - Midtown West $149

FULL AMENITIES: Free breakfast, Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Business center, Internet access

or

3*'s Times Square South $150

FULL AMENITIES: Free breakfast, Free Internet, Smoke-free rooms, Internet access, In-room accessibility

or 

3*s World Trade Center - Wall Street $160

FULL AMENITIES: Free breakfast, Free Internet, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Also, last year when I asked for help,  you said to keep all of my inquires in one thread. I am not sure I know how, so if you could tell  me that too please. 

At the bottom of this thread there is a reply box that if you click it will open and enable you to type a response to this thread (just click the SUBMIT REPLY button once you've typed everything you want to say). 

Once you win a hotel use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the top right corner of the page which will then allow you to edit the topic title to reflect your win as well as type a reply with the details of your purchase.

As for your NYC trip above, have you first checked airfare prices for the date ranges that you're considering, as that will likely have the biggest impact on your budget and swings far more often than hotel rates.  Have you seen if the airfare for the dates above is consistent, more expensive, cheaper vs. other dates you're considering?  Do you plan on purchasing airfare first OR are you ok making a hotel purchase without airfare reserved?

When do you think you will determine the length of your stay and confirm your travel dates? (as it's probably a bit early to begin researching hotels as the current offers could easily disappear by the time you decide upon your dates of travel, add/remove a day to your previous date range, etc)  It does make sense to have a look at HOTWIRE rates to make sure that hotels are offered within your budget (which if you see extremely high rates it may be do to a convention or some other big event and you know to try to switch your dates up a bit), but wit your plans so open i think you should first start pining down some aspects of your trip before we start researching hotels which likely won't be the ones that are offered once you finalize your plans.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have checked airfare. There are several date ranges available for only about $10 difference. I have not purchased tickets yet because I was looking to find a reasonable hotel also. I am planning to purchase both at the same time when I see a good deal. That's why I am trying to narrow down areas so that I can find the best fit for us for hotel. Is it reasonable to say that you can easily access tourist sights using public transportation from most of the central areas that Hotwire offers? I assume since we are dong a variety of things will not all be in one area that it would't matter as much for the location of our hotel.  If not, then I will need to concentrate my search on only certain areas. 

From your original post you can see that multiple hotels at the 3* level are available in the $150 area, so this should give you a very good idea of what your hotel costs will be if you go with the dates above.

If you have airfare for these dates that you're ready to purchase assuming one of the hotels works for your needs, then we would be happy to have a look and research any of the above (and see if there is anything else we may find for these dates), but for us to move forward in researching these offers you need to be ready to commit to both the airfare and hotels (of course, assuming the hotel work for your needs)

Generally speaking midtown is a better option than downtown.

Current HOTWIRE offers (when searching for 1adult/2children):

4* Times Square North for $139.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
==> best guess would be the New York Hilton Midtown - large convention hotel that you won't get much (or any) personalized service, but excellent location with multiple subway lines a short walk away and walkable to Times Square

3* HOTWIRE Times Square South for $143.00
Complimentary Breakfast
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Hi-Speed Internet
Room Accessible
==> Comfort Inn Times Square South Area would be my guess for this one -good location just two blocks from Port Authority (blue line subway access) and 1 avenue from the yellow subway lines... but the Hilton is of higher star rating and i would go with the higher star rating for less money

3* HOTWIRE Theater District - Midtown West for $149.00
Complimentary Breakfast
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> likely the Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side - newer hotel but a bit too far west, imo, to be considered very convenient when you have other more centrally located properties

I wouldn't consider the Wall St./Downtown hotel when you have decent midtown options available for a similar price.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know if any of the above are appealing and/or once you further pin down your plans.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have now purchase airfare and will need a hotel from July 11 to the 16th. Will definitely need 2 beds with 2 teen boys. It seems like prices are on the rise, so I need to choose soon.  I am now seeing:

Theater District-Midtown West 3* $166 with these amenities:

FULL AMENITIES: Free breakfast, Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Business center, Internet access

Thinking that it is the same Holiday Inn Express from above, Manhattan West Side?

Madison Square Garden 3* $199

FULL AMENITIES: Free breakfast, Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

Time Square South 4* $216

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Times Square South 3 1/2*  $205

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access

World Trade/Wall Street 3* $188

FULL AMENITIES: Free breakfast, Free Internet, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

I have read that you are pretty knowledgeable with NYC, so any others that you may find would be much appreciated! I am trying to stay around $200 or below. 

5 hours ago, asu93 said:

Will definitely need 2 beds

To confirm... you're 1adult/2children?  If the second 'bed' is a pullout sofabed or a rollaway brought into the room, would this be acceptable (even if not ideal) or is it a must that you have two 'actual' beds?

On 6/11/2017 at 9:02 PM, asu93 said:

I would like to keep the $ just under $200 after all taxes/fees.

5 hours ago, asu93 said:

I am trying to stay around $200 or below.

Is your budget $200 per room rate only or all-in, as your first post indicated $200 all-in but from your last post it looks like most of the hotels you listed will exceed this amount (and some of them do so even before considering taxes/fees).  How flexible is your budget?

We could do a pull out if we had to, but I would much rather have a real bed for that long of a stay. One of my "children" is 6 foot and I have heard that sometimes they run out of roll-a-way beds and sofa beds are so uncomfortable.

Because the prices have gone up, I figured my budget would have to also in order to stay in the city. I still would like to at least keep the room rate at $200 or below. 

Thanks for providing this website as such a great resource for bargain hunters!

Here are the better options i'm seeing for your dates (you didn't answer above, but i'm searching for 1adults/2children... please let me know if this is incorrect):

4* HOTWIRE Lower East Side - East Village for $167.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side, not the most centrally located hotel, but it's in the Lower East Side which is 'up and coming' (similar to Chelsea 10+ years ago) with lots of restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, etc. opening up in the area.  2 blocks from the F and M subway lines which can easily get you to midtown in under 10 minutes.  A good value if trying to keep it under $200.

4* HOTWIRE Midtown East for $193.00
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
==> Hotel Boutique at Grand Central, i don't know too much about this property but it's right next to Grand Central for easy subway access, a 15 minute walk to Times Square.... reviews are very good.

4* HOTWIRE Rockefeller Center for $194.00
Free Internet
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> Club Quarters Hotel, opposite Rockefeller Center, excellent location with multiple subway lines within a 3-5 block radius

3.5* HOTWIRE Empire State Building - Bryant Park for $213.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Hi-Speed Internet
==> Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Herald Square, centrally located near multiple subways and Penn Station, can walk to Times Square, hotel gets very good reviews

Do any of the above4 work for your needs?  If you wanted to save money the Lower East Side property is certainly do-able, if anything under $200/nite is acceptable than i think the Rock Center property would be the most convenient.

Let us know how what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

We could do a pull out if we had to, but I would much rather have a real bed for that long of a stay. One of my "children" is 6 foot and I have heard that sometimes they run out of roll-a-way beds and sofa beds are so uncomfortable.

Because the prices have gone up, I figured my budget would have to also in order to stay in the city. I still would like to at least keep the room rate at $200 or below. 

Thanks for providing this website as such a great resource for bargain hunters!

21 hours ago, thereuare said:

you didn't answer above

I saw your previous reply, i was referring to the 1adult/2children aspect.

Are any of the options in my previous post of interest?

Uggh. Haven't had much research time with work and my son's summer baseball schedule. I need 2 beds.

I almost went with the money saving presumed Holiday Inn, but then keep seeing this one and backed out just before purchasing. I was also confused by the cancellation insurance, but from what I read it seems that you have to be near death to get refunded? I was going to get it just in case, but then after reading it didn't seem very useful. The other one that intrigues me is the following:

4* $189 Times Square North

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Spa services

Thought it may be the Sheraton Times Square or Hilton Midtown? Would Times Square North be more convenient than the others?

For this HOTWIRE offer that you listed above:

4* HOTWIRE Times Square North for $189.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
==> New York Hilton Midtown would be my best guess here (you can see my previous comments about this property within this thread HERE)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

I booked this one, and you were correct in your guess. I wanted to keep looking, but the prices keep climbing(this one went from $167 this am to $170 this pm) and hotels are disappearing as options so I figured I just better choose. It is:

Holiday Inn New York City - Lower East Side

150 Delancey Street, New York City, NY 10002

Here were the amenities:

4* HOTWIRE Lower East Side - East Village for $170.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]