Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park) Hyatt Regency Chicago

ATravelingMan
By ATravelingMan,
in

My family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) is joining me for a conference at the Sheraton Grand Chicago at 301 E. North Water St. from June 25 - 28 (3 nights).  The hotel is sold out, so my preference is a room at the nearest hotel possible which will accommodate 4 people.  A hotel which offered free parking and included breakfast would be a huge plus for a family of 4 with a hungry 17-year-old boy, but I didn't find any hotels offering parking and breakfast.  Here is what I've found on Hotwire:

3.5* $119/night,  90% recommended. Amenities:  Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access

4* $115/night, 75% recommended. Amenities: Pet friendly, Boutique, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant, Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Children's activities

4.5* $164/nt 100% recommended.  Amenities:  Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Children's activities

The 3.5* looks like the best option on price and recommendation combo, and if it is the DoubleTree, that is a close 6-minute walk.  I just don't want the Indigo which is the opposite end of the Magnificent Mile. 

Since we are driving to Chicago, and will have to park our car, another option is staying at a hotel outside Downtown with free parking and free breakfast, and near a Subway station.  I could then take the Subway to the Grand station and walk to the Sheraton Grand.  Not sure if the savings on parking/breakfast is worth the extra effort, though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

The issue with Chicago is that there is maybe one or two hotels that offer free parking and rarely do they appear on the discount services. Once you start to get outside the city, there are plenty of hotels with free parking in very nice suburban areas, but those areas are definitely a trek outside the city. If you stay near the Sheraton, then you can look at the parking situation at Navy Pier (which is very close) or Millennium Park (which would not be that far a walk..)

I think there may be more amenities than you have included above. If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper tool and look in the EASY VIEW TAB, do you see additional amenities beyond those listed above? If so, please confirm the full amenity set and we would be happy to take a look.

I'm seeing:

3.5* River North for $110.00
Free Internet
Indoor Pool
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==>  Holiday Inn Mart Plaza

4.5* River North for $139.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Childrens Activities
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==>  James Hotel

3.5* Magnificent Mile  - Water Tower for $119.00
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==>  Guess for this listing would be the Doubletree

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if we can be of any further assistance. If you do go with a regular rate option, please use the site's PRICELINE link. Also,please let us know if you have any city questions.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Looking like I may go solo. Any idea what this $91 Priceline Express 3 1/2* Magnificent Mile/Water Tower hotel, with these amenities is?

• Pets Allowed
  • Business Center
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
  • Fitness Center
  • No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

I tryinging to stay as close to Sheraton Grand as possible for my convention. 

I think this is the property you're seeing in the Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast zone (confirm your dates on the landing pages of any links provided below):

3.5* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $91
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> if this is what you're seeing the Hotel Indigo Gold Coast would be my best guess for this one which unfortunately is near the north end of the zone (with the Sheraton Grand being at the southern end)

... but i did find this other PRICELINE EXPRESS offer that i think will work perfectly for you:

4* Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park for $109
Business Center
Free Internet
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> best guess here would be the Hyatt Regency Chicago which looks to be about 2 blocks from the Sheraton Grand (not to mention a great discount for this property for these dates)

Do either of the above work for your needs?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you need to stay near the Sheraton, then I'd absolutely go with the potential Hyatt. If you cross the street from the Hyatt and go slightly East on the other side of the street, there is a staircase down to the bridge below. Cross the bridge and you're at the Sheraton.

Thank you for keeping us updated on what you decide and let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

thereuare - Thanks for catching my misguided zone search in the Magnificent Mile - Gold Coast Zone.  That's what you get for trying to search on an iPhone (as well as typing tryinging without noticing it) (-:

AaronJB - thanks for the confirmation on the likelihood of the Hyatt Regency, which is definitely a close walk -- as well as apparently a fairly scenic one over the river, too.

Last question:  What is the likelihood of bidding in the Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park zone for a 4* and getting a better price on the Hyatt, weighed against getting another 4* that would require a hike (or worse yet a taxi) to get to the Sheraton.  I know anything is possible, but you guys obviously have a great feel for the 4* candidates in this zone. I'll definitely remember to use the link you provided regardless of your suggestion.  Thanks again.

If you were bidding the Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast zone i would definitely NOT bid since the zone is geographically large and your ideal location is in the southern end of the zone... so if you landed something in the Northern part of the zone it would make a BIG impact on your plans.

The Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park zone is fair compact, so should you end up at the further southern part of the zone i don't think it would be tragic for your plans... just not as good as if you were to land the Hyatt.  So basically you have to make a decision... is being able to target the Hyatt worth an extra $5/nite or so 'knowing' that you will be extremely close to your ideal location OR is it worth risking your ideal location for ~$5/nite? (with the promotion in our signature that is probably what you're looking at here... about $5 per nite savings and potentially getting a different property... it's not like you're going to bid and get the Hyatt for $75/nite)

I will comment though that why you ponder this decision (over what is relatively just a few dollars) what is believed to be the Hyatt could disappear from the search results entirely (you wouldn't be the first person it happened to... nor would you be the last), so with a hotel that seems to work out perfectly for your plans i would make the decision and act much sooner rather than later.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations on your success!

Great to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that this will work out so conveniently for your plans... and some BIG savings too!

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay and have fun at the conference.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]