Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Downtown Chicago - River North) James Hotel

Dream23
By Dream23,
in

Greetings,

I found a 4.5* Magnificent Mile Water Tower Area

Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Indoor pool(s), Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Children's activities

I'm thinking its the W Lakeshore?

We are open to other options as well. We'd like that area, or River North. We are looking for 4* and above for two adults, and would prefer two beds. Understand that isn't a total guarantee.

Tried bidding on Priceline for $91 and haven't had any luck,

I'm seeing when searching for 2 adults and 2 children (indicating 4 people - even if there isn't 2 children - to try and increase odds of more than 1 bed. If you indicate 4, you should get more than 1 bed - could be 1 + rollaway, 1 + sofabed or 2 beds.)

4.5* Magnificent Mile  - Water Tower for $139.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Indoor Pool
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
Childrens Activities
==>  With a 4/5 tripadvisor rating, I'll guess the W. The W is about a block from the lake, which is a brutally cold spot in December, but certainly not bad in July. This W was renovated a couple of years back.

What would be your desired budget per night for this stay?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

That rate is really at the low end of the range for the 4*+ level

On PRICELINE EXPRESS (Please confirm that the correct dates of travel are showing on the detail page after clicking the link below.) You can also use the site's PRICELINE coupon code in my signature.

4* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $142
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

>>>Guess would be the Marriott Mag Mile, which is right off Michigan Ave. There is no option to select two beds.

Would this possibility be of interest?

HOTWIRE:

4* Riverwalk - North Loop for $130.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  Guess would be the Hyatt on Wacker.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

The Hyatt looks nice!

I just got an email from Hotwire. This option came up. 4.5 Stars in the Mag Mile Area.

Details are

Boutique hotel, Business center, Fitness center, Indoor pool(s)Internet access, Pet friendly, Pool(s)Restaurant(s)Smoke-free rooms.

For two adults and two children.

$133

80% recommended Good (622 reviews)

(1001 - 1500 reviews)

Are you sure that the offer you're currently seeing from HOTWIRE included 2adults/2children?

If you repeat the search using our BiddingHelper.com tool and click the GREEN 'See All Amenities' button next to this offer in the EASY VIEW TAB, what is the full amenity set associated with this property?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Before I book, one last one to look at.

Thru the BiddingHelper.com link

4.5 Star River North, 2 Adults 2 Children $145

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Spa services, Children's activities, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

24 minutes ago, Dream23 said:

Thru the BiddingHelper.com link

4.5 Star River North, 2 Adults 2 Children $145

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Spa services, Children's activities, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago would be my top guess... although The James can't be ruled out as a possibility either (although i'd slightly favor the Palomar as the more likely of the two)

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

37 minutes ago, Dream23 said:

So the kimpton is in the River North area?

Yes

37 minutes ago, Dream23 said:

One search it also showed the option to pick either a King Bed, or two doubles if that helps at all?

I'll stick with the Palomar or The James, although currently it's a 50/50 toss-up... i don't favor one over the other.

If you search using BiddingHelper.com and then use the 'regular' Hotwire tab, clicking on the offer brings the price down to $147 and the bed choice, so hopefully you will use our link for your purchase.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Good luck!

Congrats on your success!

Quite a good deal for this superbly located boutique! Glad you are satisfied with the win and are looking forward to your stay. Eataly is certainly a must and is about a block South. Please let me know if you have any city questions.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

I will do! It's my friends first visit to the city. We've stayed previously as the Intercontential, Marriott, and Embassy Suites Downtown. Does this compare pretty well with those locations and quality of rooms?

We are planning on trying Lou's deep dish pizza as well.

I like the Intercontinental from the standpoint of the property has a rich and fascinating history as well as some fantastic architectural details, although I've thought the rooms (in my experience) were just fine - a little on the small side and if you wind up looking North you're basically looking right into the building next door. The James is - in my opinion - also an upgrade over the Marriott, but also a different property in that it is a smaller boutique. I'd say the James is an improvement over the Embassy rooms, but not a real apples-to-apples comparison. It's extremely close to the Marriott and Intercontinental, so there's really not a material difference in location.

Personally, in terms of deep dish pizza, I'm really not a fan of Uno's in terms of the restaurant - it's certainly an institution but it's very small and there's often a wait. Lou's I like a little better in terms of the pizza, but I like it quite a bit better in terms of the dining experience. I like the Lou's in River North on Wells. Please let me know if you have any other questions/need recommendations.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back from out trip. We went to Lou's on Well's street twice. Very good food! The James was a nice hotel. Not my typical type of style, but the room was a good size, service was nice, and beds were comfy. We did get put in probably the worst view room. Floor 3 over looping some dumpsters with construction workers outside that could look in....

Location was pretty good too. A bit of a hike from Millennium Station, but very close to the Navy Pier trolley. 

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]