Hotwire Hotel: Number of guests when buying

PBoss
By PBoss,
in

I have been watching a resort in San Antonio by SeaWorld. The price has been consistently $117 for our date. I have been putting in 2 adults and 2 children. It may actually end up being 1 adult and 4 children. I noticed later that the rate dropped to $87 ($30 less). I had snapped a screenshot when trying to figure out why it was so low, and then 10

minutes later it jumped back up to $117. I realized I had not changed occupants so the lower price was for only 2 adults.  

Do they really check that when you check in or can I safely accept the offer for only 2 adults and show up with 4 or 5 people!

i am planning a party for my teenager so still not sure who will actually come. 

Welcome to Betterbidding.

There is a definite risk when booking for two if you have a party of four (and especially if it's a party of five.) There is the risk that you will be charged more and/or run into max occupancy issues depending on the hotel. What are your dates of travel/desired budget per night for this stay?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

We are traveling and only spending one night on either May 30 or May 31. I had called the hotel directly to inquire about how many wristbands were allowed per room. They do not use wristbands any more so there is no limit. At the time I was planning on bidding on Priceline and I know they usually book king bedrooms  so was inquiring as to possibility of switching to two beds. They said they usually could do that for an extra $20. 

Several years ago we stayed at this hotel but there were only two of us so one bed was not an issue. I won that bid at $70, but it was the only 4-star in the bidding area. 

Then I discovered that Priceline now has two 4-star hotels in the San Antonio SeaWorld area and the other hotel is not the one we wanted to stay in. I figured if I bid on that one that I would most likely end up at the wrong hotel so I decided to check Hotwire. I am pretty sure the one with the resort fee is the one we want to stay at. 

I was hoping to keep the total hotel, taxes and resort fees under $150 as I will have to be providing 3 meals a day for 2 days (6 total) for my daughter and 3 friends. 

More specifically...

What is the hotel that you're hoping for?

Do either of the nites above work for your needs or are your dates not yet firm?

When will you know exactly how many adults/children you will be?  If you're a total of 5 could you make a room with 2 double beds work for your needs?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We want the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort. 

We are flexible with staying either the night of May 30 or May 31, but only one night. 

Yes, we can make two double beds work as it will most likely be 1 adult and 3 kids. If the fourth kid ends up coming (doubtful), we can use a blow up mattress or squeeze in. 

Thanks. And I will book through your site!

14 hours ago, PBoss said:

I had called the hotel directly to inquire about how many wristbands were allowed per room.

So what were the wristbands used for? (as i'll then be in a better position to comment regarding booking for 2 vs. 4)

14 hours ago, PBoss said:

They do not use wristbands any more so there is no limit.

As they don't use wristbands anymore, no limit to what?

Are there any perks/amenities that this hotel offers (shuttle to park, early admission, etc?)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

They do have a shuttle to SeaWorld. You have to have a reservation to get past the security gate. Check-in is 4:00 pm and check-out is 11:00 am. However, they said you can arrive at 10 am and they will store your luggage until the room is ready so you can take advantage of the all-day activities. The same thing when checking out, you can check-out and they will store luggage until you leave so you can actually enjoy two days of the resort when only staying one night. They did away with the wristbands so as long as you are on premises you can participate in activities so if you end up with 5 people in a room, all 5 can use facilities. 

They have a lazy river, small waterslide, movies and popcorn on the lawn at night, some complimentary and some additional expense activities (like making sock monkeys), hiking trails and bikes you can reserve to ride bikes on trails, golf course. They also provide the makings for smore's each evening.

Thinking it would be better to just put the correct number of people and pay the higher price. I am a rules follower!  I was just amazed that there was such a big price difference. I would bid on Priceline, but feel I would end up with the other 4-star hotel which would totally defeat our party plans as the other 4-Star hotel does not have all of the activities and lazy river. This is more of a hotel you want to stay at the enjoy the amenities. The other one (Hilton) would probably be best choice if you were staying in the area and planning on shuttling over to SeaWorld every day. 

For a hotel where there are a lot of activities for kids and is a destination in itself i don't think $15/pp (over double occupancy) is out of line (plenty of hotels these days charge this just for having more than double occupancy without offering anything additional... rationalizing it by extra water, towels used, longer for housekeeping to clean, etc).

In a situation like this i would likely book for the true occupancy, as you don't want to run into any issues where you're turned away (or asked to pay more at each activity) for having more guests than you declared at check-in.

For this HOTWIRE offer (searching 1adults/3children):

4* SeaWorld - San Antonio West for $117.00
Free Parking
Free Internet
Resort
Pet Friendly
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Tennis
Spa
Childrens Activities
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa would be my best guess

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

I agree. My only other question is when you go on Hotwire to book the room choosing 2 adults and 2 children, the $117 price says it will accommodate the number of guests you put down but then for $130 it guarantees you two double beds. How else would they accommodate 4 people? Seems like I would be safe with the $117 for 4 people without paying the extra. Does that make sense?

3 hours ago, PBoss said:

How else would they accommodate 4 people?

One bed and a pullout sofabed (or rollaway brought into the room)

I'm not familiar with the room configurations at this property so i can't say if it would be one of the above or if you would simply be given a 2 bedded room.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]