NYC Resort Fee

Jay&Bobbi
By Jay&Bobbi,
in

A few years ago in NYC there was only one property that charged a resort fee, but there's definitely been a steady increase in recent years in NYC where hotels are now charging these fees. What are your dates of travel? We would love to research and offer suggestions based on your desired budget/zones.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

On 5/13/2017 at 1:57 PM, AaronJB said:

A few years ago in NYC there was only one property that charged a resort fee, but there's definitely been a steady increase in recent years in NYC where hotels are now charging these fees. What are your dates of travel? We would love to research and offer suggestions based on your desired budget/zones.

How does one know if a "Express Deal" or "Hot Rate" hotel has resort fees? Will I know before I bid or purchase?

If you look at a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal, a resort fee (if there is one) will be listed during the final check-out screen as "Additional Mandatory Fee" (and then under that, "This fee is collected at the hotel.") 

This is also true for HOTWIRE (if there is a resort fee, it is listed separately on the final check-out screen.)

If you bid on PRICELINE and a hotel with a resort fee is possible based on the zone and star rating chosen, then a resort fee will be listed before clicking to finalize the bid (with PRICELINE breaking down the amount you pay to them and the amount (resort fee) that would be payable directly to the hotel.  If the hotel you ultimately win does not charge a resort fee, then none will be charge by the hotel at check-out... so PRICELINE is showing you a 'worst case scenario' should your bid be accepted by a hotel in the zone that has the highest resort fee.

If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an older post but I wanted to share my experience.

I was recently checking prices for an upcoming trip to NYC and found a decent price on another travel site for NY Hilton Midtown.  I was almost ready to book when I saw an additional resort fee mentioned so I went back to Hotwire and booked a Hot Rate Hotel deal that I thought might be the Sheraton.  I was very careful to check all fees mentioned an there was no resort fee in the details.  I ended up getting the NY Hilton Midtown.

Now, I'm reading on Hilton's website and other travel sites that this hotel does indeed charge what they call a mandatory fee of $25/night.  That fee does give you a credit of $15 in the lounge/bar and $10 in the Herb n Kitchen for grab n go food. 

I've emailed Hotwire to see what if anything I can do since this fee was not mentioned in my booking but I do not expect much assistance.  I'll keep you all updated. 

4 minutes ago, kgeaton said:

I'll keep you all updated. 

Please do.... it would also be appreciated/helpful if you shared the details of your purchase with the board so that others can benefit from the information.:wink:

You can still view all of the details of your purchase (star rating, city, zone, hotel name, room rate per nite, dates of your stay, and amenities associated with the hotel) by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT >> MY TRIPS (trip details) near the top right corner of their home page.

4 minutes ago, kgeaton said:

I thought might be the Sheraton... I ended up getting the NY Hilton Midtown.

Always feel free to ask the board for help/confirmation as to what it is that you think you may be about to purchase as we can often help you avoid any unexpected outcomes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here's the reply I received from Hotwire:

Hotels may charge a resort fee whether or not the Resort amenity is listed. We provide as much information as possible and sometimes list an estimated resort fee before booking, however a resort fee may be charged to any hotel guest whether they booked with Hotwire or any other site. This fee must settle directly to the hotel (usually when you check out).

I quickly replied and voiced my displeasure and it certainly changes my thoughts on booking these Hotwire Hot Rate deals for NYC especially.

There's absolutely no mention on my purchase or in the original offer of a resort fee.  This particular one is $25/night but I've seen some in the $50/night range.  That's a scary thought that you may be paying a LOT more than you think. 

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]