Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile - Water Tower) Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile

meules37
By meules37,
in

Wife and I are headed to Chicago Aug 25-27.  Location is still up in the air. We've been there a few times, stayed near the theatre district once and near Mag Mile twice. Open to other areas, but would like to be near things. Looking to shop, eat, sightsee. I'm not a huge fan of the Mag. Mile area, but she is. Would like to stay at a nicer hotel 4+* hotel. Prices seem pretty reasonable for that weekend. Obviously, not being real picky about area, there are many hotels meeting the 4+* requirement. Seeing many prices from $127-$169 all being 4+* or better. Here's what I'm currently seeing using Hotwire Easy View, any input or recommendations would be great.

4.5* Loop-Millennium Park $169

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Internet access

4.5* Magnificent Mile-Water Tower $144

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Spa services, Children's activities, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

4.5* Riverwalk-North Loop $143

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Spa services, Children's activities, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

4* River North $127

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Golf nearby, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

Is the Loop-Millennium area worth staying in? Seems kind of hit or miss. Could be great with one of the nicer hotels, but could be a dud if you're stuck with one of the lesser quality options. Mag Mile seems like the safe bet, but down want to be stuck on the north end of it seeing that we'd like to walk down to Millennium Park and Theatre district. Would Riverwalk/River North be the safest bets?

Any info would be great. Thanks!

I'm very familiar with Chicago and personally, I'm not that much of a fan of the Michigan Ave area aside from window shopping. It's a fun area to browse around, but much of what can be found there can be found elsewhere for cheaper - and probably not with Chicago's super high city sales tax. The Lincoln Park area quite nice in terms of restaurant and more local/non-chain/boutique shops. I'm not a fan of staying in the Loop and in particular the West portion of the zone, which is very quiet at night and on weekends.

I personally prefer River North - lots of dining options, easy accessibility to the Red Line and still an easy walk to Michigan Ave. The area along the river is also a fine option.

I'm seeing: 

4.5* Riverwalk - North Loop for $143.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Childrens Activities
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  Fairmont has been seen with this amenity set.

4.5* Magnificent Mile  - Water Tower for $144.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Childrens Activities
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  Guess would be Westin Michigan Ave.

4* River North for $134.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==>  4.5/5 tripadvisor rating showing on the detail page and this amenity set has been seen previously with the Dana.

4.5* Loop - Millennium Park for $169.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Hi-Speed Internet
==>  Not certain, but a guess would be the Chicago Athletic Association.

Please keep us updated and let us know if you have any questions before booking.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks Aaron. 

I like the idea of the River North or the Riverwalk areas. With that said, that area all pretty much looks the same as far as hotels go, so I'm going to need some help. We've determined the 4.5* Riverwalk/North Loop for $143 is probably The Fairmont. Then there are four or five 4* hotels all in the $130 area for those two areas, including the $134 River North probably being The Dana. Any ideas what the others may be? 

4* River North $127.00

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Golf nearby, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

4* River North $134.00 ------------------- Determined to probably be the Dana

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

4* Riverwalk/North Loop $133.00

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Spa services, Children's activities, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

4* Riverwalk/North Loop $130.00

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

4* River North for $127.00
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  Guess would be the Felix.

4* Riverwalk - North Loop for $130.00
Free Internet
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  A guess would be the Club Quarters Wacker/Michigan

4* River North for $134.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==>  Dana would be my guess - 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating showing on the detail page.

4* Riverwalk - North Loop for $133.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Childrens Activities
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  Possible match for the Swiss.

Thank you for keeping us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have any questions before booking.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying to pinpoint a place for this weekend, at the right price. Recently this property has popped up.

4* Loop-Millennium Park

$85/night

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Internet access, Golf nearby, Spa services, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

Any idea what this may be?

4* Loop - Millennium Park for $85.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  I'll guess the Chicago Loop Hotel or the Allegro, with the latter much more likely.

On PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm the correct dates of travel are showing on the detail page after clicking the link below.)

4* Chicago Loop - Grant Park for $87
Pets Allowed
Restaurant
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>Guess would be the Allegro

If the Allegro, that's a very reasonable rate for Chicago for the Summer (and you can use the PRICELINE EXPRESS coupon in my signature.) However, the problem with the Allegro is where it's located in the West portion of the Loop - that area is a trek from Michigan Ave and is generally inconvenient from a tourist standpoint. The area around it is also very quiet later at night and on weekends. So, consider cab/transit costs are going to be more of a factor if you stay here.

Thank you for keeping us updated with what you decide and let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

-UPDATE-

Wife decided she wanted to stay close to Mag Mile. So booked today! Using info from another post that matched amenities, was pretty confident I'd get Hyatt Centric Chicago.

4* MagMile-Water Tower  $131/night

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Indoor pool(s), Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby

With the $30/off with SUN30 code, I was able to upgrade to 1king/sofa sleeper which after looking at the Hyatt Centric website, determined it to be one of their MUCH larger King Corner rooms. Price for the 1king/sofa sleeper room was $152/night but allowed me to use the code because it put me over $300.

Turned out to be HYATT CENTRIC CHICAGO like I had hoped. With the $15/off per night, it dropped the upgraded room price down to $137/night. Six dollars more for a King Corner room that is 150sqft larger. I'LL TAKE IT! 

Thanks BetterBidding!

For that weekend and that hotel, that is a good deal. Sometimes you can get hotels like that on HOTWIRE that you can't on PE, although PRICELINE EXPRESS is cheaper for exact same hotels that are available on both sites. For the following weekend Hyatt Centric is going for $93, at least on 9/3 to 9/5 when I was getting ready to add a couple days to my Labor Day trip. I opted for the Renaissance on PRICELINE EXPRESS because it was around $30 cheaper overall (after using the BB 5% off coupon). 

Congrats on your success.

Certainly a very nice win for this property. If you want to be near Michigan Ave, certainly couldn't be any closer - it's a block off Michigan Ave and right near the center of that area.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]