Mom and Son New York April 13 to 18

learningtheropes
By learningtheropes,
in

Hoping for some help in finding a good clean hotel in a central location in New York. I will be travelling solo with my 17-year-old teenage son and I know that PRICELINE and HOTWIRE don't guarantee two beds but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a greater chance of two beds  in certain areas?  (Worst case, we have a blow up single bed.) We wanted to hit the main tourist spots, Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, and Time Square. We don't mind catching the subway if it's not too far and we don't mind walking. We might try taking in some discounted shows as well.   We used betterbidding a few years ago and got a hotel just off of Time Square. I don't remember the name of it but it had "micro rooms "which we were OK with.  Unfortunately, there's no way that they would fit two beds. 

Thanks!

We are happy as long as the area is safe. We don't mind walking a mile or so and we are comfortable catching the subway. I don't know if this is reasonable but I was hoping for 125-150 per night USD. ( our Canadian dollar is still taking a beating so I am factoring in exchange rates) 

My main requests in order are :

Safe area

Clean hotel, preferably three star or higher

Central location (Times Square or Central Park or Hell's Kitchen ideally)

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately, $150 is a little difficult in the Spring, but a couple of options I'm seeing:

HOTWIRE:

4* Empire State Building for $141.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
==>  Possible match for the Affinia Shelburne

4* Theater District - Midtown West for $157.00
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Blind Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==>  Possible match for Yotel Times Square, which has been seen with this amenity set previously.

Both listings show 4.5/5 on the detail page.

Would either of these possibilities be of interest? If not, let us know and we can do further research. 

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Bidding is going to be slightly-to-mildly cheaper, but you can potentially get any hotel at the star rating picked in the zone chosen. Many rooms in NYC are going to be small/very small, but there are options at the 3.5/4*+ level that are even as small as 120-140 sq ft (such as the Hudson in CPS zone.) If you do want to take the risk of bidding, let us know. With HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS, there's the ability to make an educated guess as to which hotels are showing. Some PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE listings also offer bed choice options, although when 2 beds options do show in NYC, they unfortunately often go for a definite premium. If you are not interested in the risk of bidding, are you seeing a listing of interest on PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE? If so, let us know the full amenity set (for HOTWIRE, go to BiddingHelper.com, search for your dates, click "Hotwire Easy View" tab, then green "Full Amenities" button )

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

16 hours ago, learningtheropes said:

Do you think I should try my luck with bidding instead?

If you bid and get a hotel with a small room (for example, the Yotel which you say wouldn't work for your needs)... what would you do then??

Most of the the rooms at the Affinia Shelbourne tend to be a bit larger than the average NYC hotel room.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]