Hotwire Hotel: chicago hotel help

chepulis
By chepulis,
in

Hoping to find a hotel in downtown chicago (millenium/grant park area).  Was hoping to spend about $100 per night but that doesn't look possible.  Any ideas or help with bidding etc would be appreciated.  staying April 30 - may 3, will be driving into town so need parking also.  wasn't looking for a five star room, but the wife would like it to be clean, have a mini fridge and wi-fi. 

Welcome to BetterBidding!

How about this offer from HOTWIRE:

4* Loop - Millennium Park for $100.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> best guess for this one would be the Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown or The Blackstone Renaissance Chicago Hotel... regardless of which (or some other property) HOTWIRE indicates that this property get a 4.5/5.0 from TA users and a 90% recommendation from previous HOTWIRE guests, so it sound like this may be just what your wife is looking for (although a refrigerator in the room can't be guaranteed) and within your budget (and currently the board HOTWIRE link gives an extra discount)

Does this work for your needs?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin you

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Early Spring is traditionally a more expensive time in the city, unfortunately. $100 is a really terrific deal for a well-reviewed 4* for this period. City Parking (which unfortunately is expensive, but certainly less so than parking at the hotel) can be found not that far away in the Millennium/Grant Park lots. Usually I'd recommend the suburbs as a cheaper alternative with free parking, but unfortunately suburban rates are on the high side for these dates in the areas I'd usually recommend.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin you

Thanks for the info.  Upon further looking my wife feels a place with a free breakfast and wi-fi is more important than a fancy hotel.  We found a few hampton/hilton locations but they are still relatively spendy.  How can I go about trying to bid on a place with those qualification and not end up with a place lacking those features.  thanks in advance.,  ( ps   river north/ millennium park areas are preferred)

slightly confused, scott

When bidding on PRICELINE you have to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose... so there is no way to only bid on hotels that offer Free Breakfast and/or Free Internet.

Do a search using our BiddingHelper.com tool and look at the EASY VIEW tab... on the left side of the checkmark only the zones you're interested in staying in, then below that checkmark Free Breakfast.  When i just did this the least expensive property is a 2.5* hotel at $124/nite... i would sooner take the 4* above and pay for breakfast (outside of the hotel you can easily get a 'quick breakfast' at panera, a bagel shop, bakery, etc for $5/pp or so).

Even thru PRICELINE EXPRESS you're looking at $111/nite for this offer (confirm your dates on the landing page):

3* Downtown - River North for $111
Business Center
Free Internet
Free Breakfast
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> best guess would be the Holiday Inn Express Magnificient Mile Hotel Cass

How much are the Hampton Inn properties you're seeing?  I would think they are more expensive than the $100 hotel above (which is also higher rated than a Hampton Inn) even if you then add in the cost of paying for breakfast (even at a decent sitdown place) and internet (or have breakfast at Starbucks, McD, Panera, etc. where you can get breakfast and free wifi).

I still think the original 4* property, even when buying breakfast/internet on your own, is the better value.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotels in the hotel lists are likely, but other hotels are certainly possible, as you could be the first to report a new hotel to the board OR a hotel previously reported at a new star rating.

See the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List and the Hotwire Hotel List.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

I'm seeing as of this afternoon:

PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm the correct dates of travel are showing on the detail page):

4* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $89
Business Center
Restaurant
>>>Warwick Allerton; older property and smaller rooms, but fantastic location and cheaper.

3.5* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $89
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>This would be a possible match for the Indigo. There's breakfast options nearby, as well as two grocery stores a couple blocks away.

Also, still:

3* Downtown - River North for $111
Business Center
Free Internet
Free Breakfast
Fitness Center
>>>Holiday Inn Express Cass.

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

The 3 star river north option for king with fridge and microwave for $126.  Can I assume that is the homewood suites by hilton downtown chicago.  it is the only 3 star on your list that has a king option with fridge and micro along with a free breakfast.   Hilton garden inn no breakfast,  holiday inn and best western have free breakfast but no option of king with fridge and micro.  Would be great to hear your thoughts.  I think I finally figured out out how to navigate to the best possible hotel they are offering.

thanks scott

we were looking for a location where we could walk  the field museum area to navy pier area.   In the hotel we were hoping for breakfast, fridge and microwave for a price between 100 - 150 before taxes.  I have a standing reservation at the comfort suites for $166 per night but hoping for better rate and slightly nicer looking place. I wouldn't think may 1 would be overly busy downtown so I am thinking the 3rd week of april may be the ideal time to book a room.

thanks scott

The best time to book a room is when you find a good deal for a property that works well for your needs... as there is not just 'price risk' in that you book and the rate changes, but also 'hotel risk' in that the hotel you want/like that is offered today is no longer offered in the days/weeks ahead.

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your trip, but as noted above this is Spring in Chicago which does start to see an increase in travel.  As well, rates around +/- $100 already seem fairly low for this time of year, so not sure how much lower you are expecting them to go.

If you're not ready to book at this point in time please let us know once you're ready to move forward, as the hotels that are currently available for your dates may not be the ones that are offered once you're ready to commit to a purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

3 star: Chicago River North

april 30 - may 3

Business Center

Free Internet

Free Breakfast

Fitness Center

Queen Bed - Accessible Nonsmoking Room - Free Internet$94/night

1 Queen Bed - Nonsmoking Room$94/night

Smoking Or Nonsmoking Standard Room$94/night

King Bed - Nonsmoking Room - Fridge, Microwave$109/night

2 Double Beds - Nonsmoking Room$109/night

is this the:  holiday inn express hotel cass

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. Once you win a hotel, use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the upper right corner of the page to edit the topic title to reflect your win and to provide the details of your purchase. This helps keep the board better organized by reducing the number of unresolved threads that don't have any follow-up or conclusion.

For the following PRICELINE EXPRESS offer (confirm your dates on the landing page of the provided link):

3* Downtown - River North for $94
Business Center
Free Internet
Free Breakfast
Fitness Center
==> Holiday Inn Express Magnificient Mile Hotel Cass would still be our best guess for this one

Let us know what you decide to do for this trip.

The Holiday Inn Express Cass is a more basic property, but if you're not going to be in the room a lot, location couldn't be better and added breakfast is a nice value. Plus, under your desired budget and $94 is an appealing price for Spring.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]