Location Suggestion / Combine with Washington

Kiwi Kid
By Kiwi Kid,
in

Kia Ora from New Zealand! In the USA and looking to visit New York & Washington DC. Our dates are arriving from LA on 20th May and returning to LA on 29th May. We were thinking 5 nights New York, 4 nights DC but are not concerned in what order we do things. We would like to pay no more than US$200 per night - incl. resort fees, if possible. Hoping for at least 3.5 star. Happy to use public transport to site see. From my research we appear to be restricted to Hotwire as we require 2 beds (mother/daughter travelling).

So looking for recommendations for what areas we should be searching and is there a preferred order to do things from a cost perspective.? Regardless of how we structure things, we will have to do a weekend at each destination. Appreciate any input/insights.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

In regards to needing two beds, you have a few options:

HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS - both show some hotels that offer a Bed Choice... if you can find a hotel that meets your needs and budget that also shows a Bed Choice, and one of those bed choices is a room with 2 beds, then either service will work for you

HOTWIRE also allows you to choose up to quad occupancy so if you search for 2adults/2children (even though there are no children traveling with you) you would be guaranteed sleeping accommodations for 4 guests, which should provide you with 2 beds.  However, the second 'bed' could be a pullout sofabed or a rollaway brought into the room, so you will need to determine if this (as a worst case scenario should the hotel not be able to provide you with a room with 2 beds) be acceptable.

PRICELINE bidding - not an option given your need for 2 beds

Also, how will you be traveling to/from DC, your options are:

-rent a car and drive yourself (but then you parking to pay for in both cities, so not likely your best option)

-fly - quickest but also usually most expensive

-train - comfortable and moderately less expensive than flying

-bus - we have Bolt Bus and MegaBus (these are the largest, but a few other players too) that are fairly inexpensive.  It's not the most comfortable way to travel as seating can be a little uncomfortable after awhile for the 4 hour trip, but the price is usually right (and most buses are equipped with wifi)

Let us know your current gameplan in regards to commuting between the two cities as well as your thoughts on if the second bed is a sofabed or rollaway would be acceptable, and we will take it from there.

priceline..hotwre

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the detailed response. Based on how I am getting on with airfares, we will do New York first - checkin 20th May, out 25th May. Once I have hotel locked in, will be happy to do bus (Bolt doesn't release seats until 6 weeks prior so too early). Looked at Amtrak but they don't allow checked luggage on any of their services - mother is 73 so would easier to put a bag in a hold & forget.

Happy to opt for 2 beds with one of them potentially being a sofa/rollaway. So if I can get some assistance with area search suggestions that would be awesome. Can I get help with Washington DC here or should I post in that section?

Thanks in advance.

Please use separate threads for each leg of your trip, as the topic title of each thread will then be used to reflect your purchase (this helps other users find, and benefit from, your post in the future when using the board's search function) and then also automatically puts a link to the thread in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Unfortunately this is during peak season for NYC and i'm not currently seeing anything with decent reviews and within your budget (when looking at 3* and higher rated hotels... and that's even before adding the 2 bed restriction)

Do you have any flexibility in regards to price for this leg of your trip, or perhaps looking into doing NYC for the 2nd part of your trip and DC first (not sure if DC would be more/less expensive if visit there first/last), or wait it out and hope for better pricing in the weeks ahead.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your efforts - I tried switching dates around and it appeared to make no difference to NY pricing. With regards budget, if there's something that's recommended and isn't a dive, we'd look at it. Knew it was going to be expensive in comparison to other places in the States we've traveled so $200 was a "hopeful" figure! Cheers

Chicago is still expensive in May, but would be a cheaper option than NYC if your plans are flexible. The other issue with NYC is that many rooms are on the small side, so more than one bed is frequently more costly. This is part of the reason why is it not unusual for a search on HOTWIRE for more than 2 adults to result in less options and higher prices.

I'm seeing on HOTWIRE when searching for 2a/2c for 5/25-29:

3.5* Times Square South for $184.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==>   These amenities are fairly common but I'd guess this is the Holiday Inn New York City Times Square. After taxes/fees that works out to an average around $242 a night. However, very good location. What options are cheaper are only somewhat cheaper and in terms of things like a $171 4* in the LES-East Village zone, if you're going to be going all around New York City, you also have to factor in the idea of time and transit costs and the TS option would offer a more central location for not much more.

Let us know your thoughts and if you have any questions at all before booking.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks AaronJB - am happy to move dates for a deal like that. I am looking at exactly the same thing as you but am aware that many hotels in USA charge a resort fee. I couldn't see such a fee listed - am I missing something or is this also revealed once purchased? Appreciate the guidance :-}

Most, but not all, hotels thru PRICELINE / HOTWIRE will show a resort fee if there is one.

From additional research i have done the Holiday Inn New York City Times Square does NOT appear to charge a resort fee.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Glad to see you found something that works for your needs this trip and thank you for closing this thread with your decision.

Enjoy this leg of your trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]