Priceline Hotel: Gaylord Palms

saceo17
By saceo17,
in

I have always drove by the Gaylord Palms and thought how nice it looked from the highway....however, I also thought how expensive it must be to stay there. I have read the board a few times and saw some members getting the Palms for less than 100 dollars a night.

I was just wondering if any of you have any suggestions of how I could do the same. If I get one of the other resorts....I would be ok with that, but I think my preference would be Gaylord. Although I love either the Dolphin or Swan.

I will be staying only 10/6 to 10/8.....I will be staying that Disney's Beach Club after that.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Regarding your question about increasing your chances of the Gaylord Palms, read this thread: DON'T BID HIGHER FOR A SPECIFIC HOTEL

You have 9 re-bid zones at the Resort level. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select Resort...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $87, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I was going to reply to this earlier but wanted to double-check the info... The Wyndham Palace no longer exists as such. It is called the Buena Vista Palace and is supposed to be getting major renovations according to its new owner. Until those renovations are complete, I doubt pl would even consider revisiting its rating. The only other resort that has been showing up sub-$100 is the DTDisney Hilton. Beware, though, as the Hilton usu. has a lower acceptable bid than the Gaylord. Please let us know what you end up with!!

I was going to reply to this earlier but wanted to double-check the info... The Wyndham Palace no longer exists as such. It is called the Buena Vista Palace and is supposed to be getting major renovations according to its new owner. Until those renovations are complete, I doubt pl would even consider revisiting its rating. The only other resort that has been showing up sub-$100 is the DTDisney Hilton. Beware, though, as the Hilton usu. has a lower acceptable bid than the Gaylord. Please let us know what you end up with!!

Hi. I'm new and confused... :) it's a position I'm often in.

If the Hilton has a lower acceptable bid then how does *anyone* get the GP? I read the thread about don't bid higher but I still don't really get all of this. Sorry to be such a doofus. :)

Is it basically just straight blind luck? Is there a way to discern when it's better to bid if you want the GP?

And what's wrong with the Hilton? :o

It's my understanding (first timer) that you don't get to see the hotel before you accept but is there a place where you can sort of cross-check and guess what hotel it is?

We're hoping to go to Florida from 3/12 - 3/17 or thereabouts.

Thanks.

Beth :)

I imagine it would have to do with the Hilton having rooms available for Priceline at that time and at what price. If they arent offering any rooms then other hotels would come up if you hit their "number". Some have started low at $60 and had to work their way up to the $93 or whatever is accepted at the Gaylord Palms.

That sounds to me like Hilton wasnt available but Gaylord was at their price - sometimes you can be lucky and "skip over" the Hilton by bidding higher IF the Gaylord is available but thats something you just dont know going in

Tinkerbeth, welcome to BetterBidding!

If you'd like help with your own upcoming stay please start a NEW TOPIC with the information you have already included above. This will enable us to keep your stay, and that of the original poster saceo17, separate and we can follow the progress of both without confusing them.

Thanks!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Dianev is correct. I have both won and lost by trying to skip over hotels' acceptable bids. I look at it this way: If I need the Gaylord for a room during a convention, I can either pay the $160 or so rate, or I can try to get it via pl for around $80. I figure that even if I overbid and get the Hilton @ $80 (loss of $20 since they're usually around $60), I can use the $80 I've saved (per night) for taxi fares, etc. You can even lessen your "gamble" by bidding for only 1 night. Then, if you get your preferred hotel, you can just try the "add a night" feature. If you don't get the one you want, you could either take another pl shot or book it direct for the remaining nights.

More importantly, there is NOTHING wrong with the Hilton. In fact, I recently tried to win it, because although it isn't as impressive as the Gaylord, it has a fabulous location right next door to Downtown Disney as well as Extra Magic Hour privileges, which, imho, are the most important perk (besides Disney transport) to have when visiting DW. Btw, I didn't get an accepted bid, so nothing to tell... just decided to book Disney direct instead.

Hope this helps to clear things up.

Also - if you are looking as far out as October - Disney will likely have discount prices, etc. available closer to 60-120 days out from your stay. For tons of information about discounts for on-site hotels - check out www.mousesavers.com which is a great Disney resource.

With Disney - you can also book your hotel with them direct now, and pay a deposit of one night which is 100% cancellable until 5 days out from your date of check-in (for room-only stays). If a discount code comes out later, you can call and add the discount code to your reservation if there are still rooms available with the discount. (Or if you find a great deal on PL you could cancel your Disney reservation too if you prefer.) Depending on your dates, I'm guessing you could at least get a value property and possible a moderate on-site w/in your price range or a little more. And being on-site is well worth the extra price IMO.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]