Priceline Hotel: Need Help finding a hotel @ Magnificent Mile from 10/10 to 10/13

scm518
By scm518,
in

Hello,

I have never used this site or priceline before - but I was going to bid for a hotel - start @ 4.5 stars and see if anything gets won.  I haven't gone into the priceline site too far.  If I bid, is there a step that will tell me the amenities so I can try to figure out what one it is on the list - before I commit to buy?  Sorry if these are terrible questions - I have never done any of this before.   

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I think a general overview will help you a bit and answer your question(s) above...

PRICELINE (Bidding / Name Your Own Price) - you're not bidding on a specific hotel, you need to be willing to accept a hotel in the zone at the star level (or higher) that you choose.  PRICELINE does show some amenities next to the star rating based upon the zones selected, but these are amenities that are offered at every hotel in the zone at that star level, not a specific hotel that you would be bidding on.

PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE - each of these services shows amenities specific to the hotel being offered.  There is no bidding involved, the star rating, zone, and a (discounted) price is shown along with amenities for the property... in these instances you can try to use the amenities to guess what it is that is being offered.

Bidding PRICELINE has a bit more 'unknown' to it so it is usually the least expensive way to book... PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE there is a bit more known so it is slightly more expensive, but you have the advantage of taking an educated guess beforehand.

Based upon the above let us know your thoughts as to how you'd like to proceed, as well as your target budget (per nite before taxes/fees) and if there is anything in particular that you're looking for in a hotel for these dates... we will then advise accordingly.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm very familiar with Chicago. Let us know more about what you are looking for (budget, star rating, any other variables of note) and we would be happy to research and offer suggestions.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Hello AaronJB and everyone!  We would like to pay up to in the $100 to $125 a night range and of course would love 4.5 star - although perhaps that is a bit unrealistic - and need to be in the Magnificent Mile region.  It will be just my wife and I coming to visit for our Anniversary.    We like clean, well-located hotels.  It doesn't matter to use Botique vs. Chain.  Was considering doing the bid type of transaction - as it seems like there is more opportunity to get bang for your buck - however it appears there is slightly more mystery in the process - but I am very open to suggestions.

Thank you for any assistance that you can offer in this process.  I can provide any additional information that you need.  I will make sure to return to the links to book for my purchase.

Sean

That's really the trade-off for bidding versus the other discounted options (HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS). Bidding is generally slightly-to-moderately less expensive, but requires more flexibility. If I were to bid in the Downtown-Millennium Park area for 4*, for example, I have to be willing to accept any of the possibilities, or to potentially be upgraded to a 4.5* (although that doesn't happen that terribly often.) These dates are on the expensive side, which unfortunately is fairly common for Fall. However, at the very least you did miss the Marathon, which happens the day before and is one of the worst weekends of the year for hotels.

That said, you certainly still have options:

HOTWIRE:

4.5* Downtown-River North $110 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Spa

>>> Possible match for the Godfrey, which has been seen with this amenity set previously. I've stayed here previously; very nice hotel, (in my experience, at least) very good service and I really do like the location of the property a great deal. The only downside is that there is a bar with a retractable roof on the 4th floor. I'd try to ask for a room away from it for the fear that it may be loud at night. Otherwise, nice hotel and I'd stay there again - easy walk to tons of River North restaurants.

4* Water Tower $126 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

>>>Possible match for the Public. This is one of the most historic properties in the city; it was previously called the Ambassador East. Years ago, this was "the place" for visiting celebrities and the restaurant (The Pump Room) is equally famed. About four years ago, this was bought by Ian Schrager, the hotel operator famed for starting the boutique concept in NYC decades ago. I've stayed here when it was the Ambassador East and I've stayed here since it became the Public. Visually, it's a pretty remarkable change; they certainly gave the property a more upscale, modern boutique feel. Still, there are limitations: there aren't a ton of amenities and the building at its core is an old building (thin walls.) This is in the Gold Coast area at the very top of the zone, so while not centrally located, easy walk to Gold Coast nightlife and not far from Michigan Ave. Given the surroundings (the Gold Coast neighborhood and the residential area around the hotel), this is actually probably one of the quieter properties in the city in terms of street noise. Given the Public's philosophy of being more inclusive and reasonable, free wifi and room service that isn't as horrendously priced as most city hotels.

On PRICELINE EXPRESS:

4* Gold Coast $117 (after clicking the link, make sure the correct dates are showing on the landing page; amenities: 

Business Center

Restaurant

Fitness Center

No Smoking Rooms/Facilities)

>>> This would be a possible match for the Knickerbocker, which is also a very historic property. Location is slightly better at the top end of Michigan Ave. The Gold Coast/Public is a little further North (but not a long walk.)

On HOTWIRE, you may need to use BiddingHelper.com to see the full list of amenities. Search for your dates, click "Hotwire Easy View", then full amenities next to the listing in question. You may also see a slightly different price than I do by a few bucks +/-.

Additionally, personally I'd go with the 4.5* Godfrey for $110. Best location/value. Plus, TAKE20 coupon code should take $20 off the total.

Happy anniversary! Definitely keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have any further hotel (or city) questions.

Let us know what you decide for this trip or if you have any additional questions.

Good luck!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you bid, the service will search and then if the bid is not accepted, you will get a message that the bid is not accepted. (you find out in about 30 seconds or less) If your bid is accepted, you will get a message that the bid has been accepted and the name of the hotel. At that point, you cannot change/cancel the reservation and it's locked in. If you make a particular bid and it is not accepted, you can make that same specific bid again in two hours. The only reason why I would tend to suggest PRICELINE EXPRESS/HOTWIRE in this case is because it's an anniversary and some possibilities downtown wouldn't be the most suitable options for the occasion.

Update

Hello.  Fortune has smiled upon me, and in a casual conversation with one of the vendors I am working with on a project - not only offered to fly me out to Chicago - but also put me up in a hotel there because we are using a large amount of their furniture on a project I am designing.  All I have to do is pay for airfare for my wife, and take a tour of their showroom.  

I really appreciate all the help I received on this site, and I will definitely be back for future travel and vacations!

Thanks again!! 

Thank you for closing the thread and glad you were able to get an awesome deal.

We are happy to help and look forward to helping with future trips.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]